1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD help for a 'technocabbage' please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pike999, Aug 20, 2005.

1. pike999

pike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if you guys could help,

I’m a bit of a technocabbage, but I’m after a TV for use with Sky HD when it arrives and Xbox 360 (HD) when it arrives – both in the UK

I think I’ve settled on the Sagem Axium 56 inch, the specs for which can be found here:-

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_25030.html

And here:-

http://www.plasma-television.co.uk/....html?osCsid=73f3f7a6fef328508afbc38f580fa67c

And here:-

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/169_262242.html

The question is, given that I’ll be connecting a skyHD and Xbox360 for HD, has this telly got enough ways of getting the signal to it/from it – ie are there enough connections that skyHD and the 360 will use so I’ll be able to slap both on and see glorious HD? You may have guessed my knowledge is limited, but I’m sure I read somewhere this telly could do/didn’t have HDMI, which I’m told is important/ essential for HD tasks?

Any help much appreciated, and what are folks thoughts on the telly anyway?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If the Sagem carries an "HD Ready" sticker - then the Sky HD receiver should connect to the HDMI input and the XBox 360 to the component analogue inputs.

Until the Sky HD box arrives you can't be 100% certain of HDMI compatibility (there have been issues with incompatibilities between displays and sources in the US) - but it should be OK.

If you can wait until Sky HD launches - then I probably would.

XBox 360 compatibility should be less of a problem - analogue component is analogue component - and HD Ready displays should cope with 1080/50i and 60i as well as 720/50p and 60p.

3. pike999

pike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fr the info,

According to this, though

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_27855.html

The telly DOESN'T have a hdmi interface.

Quite apart from this, folk tell me that beofre HD arrives, the sky signal is so poor it will fall apart on a 56 inch telly. Views?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The SKY signal is variable, broadcasters choose the bitrates they broadcast at so it's quite true there are channels that don't even look good on a decent sized CRT let alone a impressively large panel:)
    On the other hand there are some very good channels it's a question of what you would normally watch and on a personal note I would purchase an offboard scaler if I intended to drive a large screen panel from any SD source even DVD.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    That set does have the HD ready logo so it must have an HDMI or DVI-HDCP input in addition to an HD-compatible component input. Don't worry!

Steve

6. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Its definitely HD Ready, it has an hdcp compliant dvi which you can use for sky hd wiyh an adapter dvi/hdmi and component for your xbox 360 so you def dont have a problem. Ive seen this set running wmvhd and its damn good.

7. wush

wush
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technocabbage - brilliant term! :smashin:

8. pike999

pike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. Just seen Home Cinema Choice (UK) September issue - they rate this telly very highly, so I'm about to take the plunge. I shall loiter here and recommend the site to my friends. Tis rare indeed these days to find such a knowledgable and supportive bunch of people will to take the time to help out a stranger. Thanks