HD Help & Advice Please

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by soni, Oct 22, 2004.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am considering upgrading my Toshiba 28" 100 hz Widescreen to the Sagem 50" DLP Rear Projection TV within the next 2-3 months after we have finished our home improvement works. However, I would like to do my homework within this period, so that I can make the right decision and not waste my money. I have a couple of questions that maybe somebody could help me with.

1. I have two daughters, one of 5 months, and the other 4 years. My daughters love touching the TV screen, and being a glass screen, there isn’t any problem. However, I have noticed that the screen on the Sagem, although feeling more durable than the non-DLP Rear Projection TV's, can still be pushed in slightly. I am concerned that damage could be caused to the Sagem if my children were to wack it! ?
    2. I popped across to my local Comet store yesterday lunch time, and they had the Sagem displaying HD via a PC. The picture was utterly amazing, and although i'm aware that HD is not being broadcasted until 2006 by Sky, I was under the misinterpretation that a HD output on a DVD player would provide the same quality picture, until I phoned a well known AV supplier this morning, who told me that the picture will look slightly better using HD output from a DVD as opposed to a standard scart lead on a non HD ported DVD player, but it will certainly still not be anywhere near HD picture quality. I am confused? Apparently HD DVD players will be released within the next couple of years, but the discs will be a different size, and I think the sales guy called the players 'Bluetooth'? I want to upgrade my DVD player at the same time as upgrading the TV, as it is probably 5-6 years old now, and it will not play CDR’s. But, what is the point of me purchasing a DVD player with HDMI output at £1000.00 +, when they are not really HD, and I can get a good quality CDR reading DVD player from Panasonic for approximately £150.00???
    3. How is the Sagem displaying HD from a PC, via HD input, if I can’t get the same quality picture from a HD output on a DVD player?
    4. I understand Toshiba are launching a DLP Rear Projection TV next month, and being a Toshiba owner at present, I would like to see the Toshiba DLP prior to purchasing the Sagem. Has anybody heard anything about this TV, or seen it at any shows?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Soni

I'm no expert but here goes.....

1. pass

2. don't hold your breath regarding hi-def dvd's.
    Theres currently 2 different groups - Blue-Ray and HD DVD, so we may have yet another format war.. :rolleyes:

At this stage being an early adopter could be expensive....

3. can't really answer this.
    Either the pc is playing a standard dvd which is being up-scaled to hi-def (so in effect its still dvd quality but as good as u can get from dvd)
    or they actually have some hidef material which will not play on a standard dvd player and requires a pc.
    Not too sure what you are getting from 'a HD output on a DVD player'. This may simply be a progressive scan output (not HiDef) from a standard dvd.

4. pass

Hope this helps

3. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sagem in Comet is displaying true high definition material encoded using Microsoft's VC-1 codec. You can download some demos here.

An HDMI-equipped DVD player, on the other hand, takes SD material encoded at 480i or 576i and upconverts it to 720p or 1080i. It's not true HD, but the picture quality should be better than component due to the all-digital connection.

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies.

I currently own a Denon AVR3802 AV Amp, and KEF Eggs, which I am really happy with. But, I really need to change my out of date DVD player to one that will recognise CDR's, and if its got HDMI and is at the right price, then that’ll be a bonus. I phoned a well known AV supplier today, and they we're trying to flog me a Denon DVD player with HDMI at £800.00, or an Arcam? at £1,000.00. I was surfing the web last night and stumbled across the Panasonic DVDS97EBS at www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=2901 who are selling it for £257.99 which sounds like an absolute bargain, but has anybody heard any reviews on this? I've never had Panasonic, but have heard people who have been pleased with their products, and its also got HDMI!

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

The Panasonic S97 is brand new and hasn't been reviewed yet, as far as I know. £260 seems a good price for an upscaling player with DVD-Audio, but you might want to consider the Samsung HD-945 for around £160 which plays SACD in addition to DVD-Audio.

For an RPTV, you may want to consider the Optoma Themescene RD50 out next month for £2000 which is HDMI compatible - the current Sagem 50" isn't.

Steve

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply.

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge, but you say the Optoma is HDMI compatible, but the Sagem isn't. Can you please explain? I thought the Sagem had a HD Input for watching HD when eventually broadcasted by Sky. Am i getting HDMI and HD mixed up? I would be gratefull if you could put me right on this matter.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi soni,

I believe the Sagem 50" has a DVI input which isn't HDCP compatible, therefore it can't take an HDMI output which includes HDCP encryption. Some (newer) DVI inputs are HDCP compatible and can take an HDMI signal with an appropiate cable or adapter. The Sagem has an HD compatible component connection, but it's not guaranteed that Sky HD boxes will have HD component output. Hope this helps.

Steve