HD+HDMI DVD player? Is there one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Telemaid, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Telemaid

Telemaid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I have been reading about the Tevion HDMI DVD player sold by Aldi. Apparently this will not play HD DVD's. Are there any on the market that will upgrade standard DVD and play HD.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,759
    I think you are getting confused between different technical formats here.

High Definition DVDs, which are HD DVD and Blu-ray are designed only to play on HD DVD players and Blu-ray players.

No DVD player will upgrade standard DVDs to make them high definition DVDs, but what a load of recent DVD players will do is 'up-scale' the standard DVD image to a higher resolution. A good upscaling DVD player will improve the picture quite noticeably, nothing compared to a high definition DVD as you can't display what isn't there.

I don't know about this Tevion player you are talking about but it seems as if this may be one of these upscaling DVD players.

If you want a DVD player that will upscale standard DVDs and play High Definition DVDs, then the current cheapest option is to get the Toshiba E1 HD DVD player. You can currently get these for about £170 I think.

3. Telemaid

Telemaid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry if I am a bit confused about technical formats but I am not into all the tech jargon. Comes naturally to you young un's but not so for us OAP's. I have just had a Samsung 52" HD LCD and obviously want the best type of DVD player to compliment it. The DVD player from Aldi (which is back on sale this Thursday for anyone wishing to buy one £34.99) is only an upscaling DVD and will NOT play HD DVD's. Therefore I was asking if there was a player which would do both... You have mentioned the Toshiba E1 so does that mean that any HD DVD player would upscale standard DVD's? Again sorry to sound so thick but I am willing to learn.....:confused:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Most of the Current if not all HD-DVD and Blueray players will upscale normal DVD's to higher resolutions.

Have a look in the High def DVD forum for more stuff on them, this board is really for normal DVD's although at the moment most people are talking about upscaling players, that produce a high definition (resolution) image from a standard dvd.

The Top end toshiba although not cheap is ment to be better at playing normal DVD's upscaled better than many normal DVD players costing double, but also plays HD-DVD's. The cheapest HD-DVD player at the moment is arround the £200 mark and the cheapest Blueray is a lot more (i think about £400).

All players except a few chinese specials will only play upscaled DVD images through HDMI, the few exceptions will also play through component video.