HD HDMI/Component Capture card for $350

Looks like decent kit
More Mac oriented though
For those of us who use bog standard DV ( firewire) to capture HDV ( rather than component/ HDMI.. what is the extra advantage??

Looks like decent kit
More Mac oriented though
For those of us who use bog standard DV ( firewire) to capture HDV ( rather than component/ HDMI.. what is the extra advantage??

DV?.. never used it, never found a use for it.., I capture straight to the PC using component, and been waiting for a card like this for a while..., all I need now is DSCALER support...

DV?.. never used it, never found a use for it.., I capture straight to the PC using component, and been waiting for a card like this for a while..., all I need now is DSCALER support...
:)...
Horses for courses , Its good to know of this card but at the last Video Forum in Earls Court where HD was the rage.. Many of the major Software companies mainly focused on firewire as the capture route.. ( Canopus ,Adobe, Avid ect)

I do have Avid Liquid 7s Pro BOB which allows any input ( including component but not HDMI) ,via USB2 but use firewire nonetheless

Maybe there is an inherent disadvantage... you tell me but I guess it would also depend on what you ultimately want to do with your HD material .

As I understand it , Unless you go via WMV HD QT HD or DIVX HD, and stream these ( WMV HD via the media extenders with xbox 360) , Producing BD or HD DVD discs is still in its infancy

Does the Blackmagic HDMI work with Descaler in WDM mode? Can it capture full frame res?

Ive been looking for something like this for a while so we can capture unencrypted stuff from US Cable boxes. I don't need to capture video, just frame grabs to still JPEG or TIFF.

I think part of the use of this card is you can capture from different HD sources – e.g. a set top box (providing there aren’t encryption issues). So it can be used for more than just camcorder editing.

For camcorders, it has the advantage that it can capture straight from the sensor, before the HDV encoding is done. You have to capture directly to a PC to make use of this, but if you do you can capture uncompressed 1920x1080, rather than HDV 1440x1080 MPEG2. You will also need a lot of HDD space for the uncompressed video. It seems it also has options to do compression which it claims is higher quality.

If you aren’t able to take a PC with you and are recording your footage to tape, I don’t see any advantage from a camcorder viewpoint.

Thanks for that Mark
Are you saying that if a camcorder is on and the component cables are connected you can get a direct feed to PC? .
I've never thought about that though I would stick to taping at my "novice" level.
Similarly although I've recorded straight via firewire to PC from camcorder ( just to prove it is possible), surely firewire can capture HD and SD ( DV) in same way
As stated , The Avid Liquid 7s Pro breakout box also has component input: How different would that functionality be compared to this card?
HD content from settop box is an attractive idea but I imagine that Many sources may be encrypted ( Even HDTV material)

Are you saying that if a camcorder is on and the component cables are connected you can get a direct feed to PC?

Yes, though I believe you only get the full advantage of uncompressed capture if you are using HDMI from the camcorder. The card has HDMI input as well as output.

Similarly although I've recorded straight via firewire to PC from camcorder ( just to prove it is possible), surely firewire can capture HD and SD ( DV) in same way

Yes, you can capture HDV direct to a PC via Firewire. The difference with capturing via HDMI is that you are capturing the raw, uncompressed, full 1920x1080 resolution, not HDV.

Thanks again:
I guess Im not sure of what I would do with uncompressed HD:rolleyes: Saying that, the HC 1 doesnt have HDMI output

Our puny PCs just about matured to cope with editing HDV in the way we are used to editing DV

Even if the card works with Dsclaer, the max res of Dsclaer is 720*576 Anamoprhic, so does not suppot the HD res, but fine for captuirng SD sources, which is what I use it for, have a Sweetpot/PDI Deluxe Card and capture from component, 720*576 Anamorphic Full Frame Uncompressed, as long as you have a 7200RPM HD then it should be able to keep up with the 30mb/s needed to capture the footage.

The video then can be imported into Windows Media Encoder or whatever program you use and cropped/encoded and deinterlaced..,

Want the Decklink card beause of the fact it captures in HD Mode.., also handles the audio where as the PDI Deluxe card does not, but without Dscaler support I would need a sepearate monitor to view the video in realtime while it is captured.., the is a WDM driver available for Decklink cards but wether it can be picked up by Dscaler is another question.., and the best res you will get from Dscaler is 576i..

Mmace,
Did you get one of these cards? if so how are you finding it capturing from sky.
John

Hi all,

Any more on the use of the blackmagic cards?

Has anyone bought and used one? - From my understanding, because of HDCP it cant be used to capture HD from sky, instead it will take the HDMI input but scale it to SD.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I'd love to be able to capture from the Sky HD box in HD but I didn't think you could.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

John

why not capture from the component outputs?,

Hi all,

Any more on the use of the blackmagic cards?

Has anyone bought and used one? - From my understanding, because of HDCP it cant be used to capture HD from sky, instead it will take the HDMI input but scale it to SD.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I'd love to be able to capture from the Sky HD box in HD but I didn't think you could.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

John

Does anyone have a means of recording HD content from Sky HD yet, I only ask because it seems many threads on this subject havent received any input for over a year which might indicate an obvious solution has since been released?

Is it possible with a black magic intensity card with component-in by utilising the component-out of the Thomson Sky HD box to record Sky HD content?

I know it is possible to download HD programmes so how did the people who made these available capture them in the first place?

If it is not possible to use the black magic intensity card via component to record Sky HD content then I believe there is only one true option and that is with the use of something like the spoken-of but not yet released Dreambox DM8000.

interesting but am in the wrong section i thought it was camcorders and editing here .not that i am a curmudgeon happy new year

is this card able to take a HD signal and capture in SD

i don't need to record in HD only SD, but the device i am outputting from (xbox360) needs to be HD as i will be viewing/playing on a hdtv via hdmi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom