1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Hdcp Htpc...?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NicolasB, Apr 11, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I suspect the answer to this question is "no", but figure it can't hurt to make certain....

Let us suppose that we wanted to use an HTPC as a scaler in high-defintion system: for example, to take the output from a Sky HD receiver (or perhaps a BluRay/HD-DVD player) and then scale it to the native resolution of a plasma panel. Let's say the plasma is 1366x768 (standard res for a 50" screen). We might therefore either be upscaling 1280x720 to 1366x768 or deinterlacing 1920x1080i and then downscaling to 1366x768.

The killer complication, of course, is that the source will have HDCP encryption. :(

So, to do this legally, we would need:

- Something that can capture DVI or HDMI with HDCP encryption.
    - Something that can decrypt the signal feed, it through DScaler (or, more likely, a proprietary all-hardware alternative) and then re-encrypt it with HDCP.
    - A graphics card capable of outputting HDCP-encrypted video via DVI or HDMI.
    - All of the above to work at 50Hz as well as 60Hz.

As I said, I suspect that we won't see any kind of PC-based HDCP-decryption, because it would be too difficult to make it secure. But how close could we get to this system?

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I realise that you are talking legally and of course there is no real drive to produce an encryption stage for the commercial market.

However, I suspect that an illegal software HDCP decryption solution will appear on the internet approximately 8 minutes after the first commercial 5.25" blu-ray/HD-DVD drive hits the market......maybe sooner.