HD-Hardware infomation

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bsimmer3000, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hopefully i can get some more sense from the blu-ray forum than the god dam hd-dvd forum, what on earth is there problem with me asking questions about the HD-A20 i just bought! It's like they want a god dam war with me because i ask if it would support the new 51gb format and if it is 1.3 compliant as toshiba said it was then seen some reviews saying it's not now toshiba site has subject to change without notice and no info about the hdmi spec.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks

Mods dont move this thread as im getting no where on hd-dvd forum.

2. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,326
  3. LostCause

LostCause

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    From a quick surf I believe the HD A20 is not 1.3 or 1.3a. One review said it had, all the other said it didn't, Toshiba's simply refers to HDMI with no version specified. It is most likely therefore that it is 1.2. As a consequence it will not output Deep Colour or pass HD audio bitstreams for external decoding. No discs have yet been produced with Deep Colour and none are expected anytime soon. Additionally it would require a display capable of Deep Colour support to see any benefit. HD Audio bitstreams will require a external decoder capable of decoding them. It does output 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It will upscale 480p,720p,1080i and 1080p for SD material and will play all the current HD-DVDs and will continue to play all new releases for the foreseable future. If you were led to believe it was 1.3 or 1.3a then I refer you to Drongo's post as to your possible remedies.

The 51Gb format may or may not be released. It will be entirely dependent upon the ablility to reliably manufacture, the backward compatibiliy with existing players (taking into consideration the size of the consumer base affected and the likely cost implications of an upgrade either free or chargeable) and the desire of studios, to make use of the extra space. It has nothing to do with the version of HDMI on the player and will have no impact on its ability to play or not 51GB discs. It is always possible that even if it is reliable and all existing players are compatible it still may never be used and that studios will simple use multiple disc as they do currently with DVDs. 17GB and 34GB version will have the same contraints.

The is plenty of speculation that profile 1.0 BD players may well have a problem with profile 1.1 or 2.0 discs. Even if this is the case it is still expected that they will be able to play the films, they just won't be able to access or correctly handle some or all of the additional features and PIP.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    :spam:

Except for the very next post in the thread which gave the current situation - something I would suggest most posters were reluctant to do given the rather rude and abrupt post you made :thumbsdow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.