HD Gaming and HD movies on my 32PF9986?

R

Rurouni

Hey guys,

For about a year now I own the Philips LCD 32PF9986 TV and I'm still satisfied with it. My tech.knowledge on TVs and stuff is very low so I'd like to ask you for help. Hope you guys can help me out. I just checked the firmware of the LCD and it's 2.5

As you probably know there's gonna be a new generation of gameconsole hitting the market the coming months, with the XBox360 coming in 15 days. The XBox360 supports HD through components cabels, and the coming Playstation3 supports HD through HDMI. Since I really love gaming and plan to use the Xbox360 for watching DVDs and MediaCenter too, I want to get the highest quality out of 'm as possible. But my Philips 32PF99886 doesn't have the two mentioned connections on it, but it has DVI. Is it possible someway to connect the Xbox360,Playstation3 and other HD equipment with the help of some accessories or modding or something?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Erik vd Kuilen

options are either by an expensive DVI/HDMI switcher ~£200
or an AV amp which had HDMI switching ~£900

If you want to manually swap cables in the back of the TV you can use a HDMI to DVI adaptor and a Component to DVI adaptor

Phill_1981 said:
If you want to manually swap cables in the back of the TV you can use a HDMI to DVI adaptor and a Component to DVI adaptor
I guess this will be the best (and cheapest) choice for me. Any good suggestions of which one to pick?

but now I just found out that the mentioned item is a DVI to YPrPb converter.....I need it the other way around :(

Phill_1981 said:

Hi Phill, Nice looking set-up!

I am in the same situation with my 32PF9986. I love the TV but am still trying to decide how best to feed in my prog scan component video signals. Obviously i aspire to a lovely HDMI switching Home cinema receiver but in the short term i'm not sure what to do. I have found the component - DVI adapter that you refer to in your post but it seemed to me that it is just for PC's as they talk about system requirements. Have u tried this adapter yourself with the 32PF9986?

My TV came with a vga - DVI adapter, and reviews I've read talk about using an additional component - vga adapter to get prog scan from a device outputting through component cables. I found an adapter that seemed to meet the requirements but i am still a bit unsure...

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1853

What is your advice please mate cos my XBox Hi Def pack came last week and the prog scan softmod kit is on it's way to me real soon??

Oli

:confused:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I use the ebay adaptor to connect my component leads to my 9986. Although mine is purple and not black as in that ebay ad. So not sure if any differences. other than the colour they look identical.

Phill I see that in an earlier post you refer to an AV amp/receiver with digital video switching for about £900. Which model is this please??

Ta

Oli

It is possible to get VGA/DVI-D <-> DVI-I adaptors. I got one on ebay about £4 with same plus more for postage. I think Dell sell them for about £20/30. Mine is made by Molex. This theoretically allows you to connect both a DVI-D and a VGA source to a single DVI-I socket - I have not tried mine yet, been having too many problems with plain DVI-D to put something else into the mix.

Apparently, there may be issues with the EDID data lines being shared - I was recommended to cut the data lines in the VGA side as they were not needed for a PC.

Also, you would need to have a component to VGA adaptor but I think this may be supplied with the later 9986's.

Also, you need to beable to select between DVI-A mode and DVI-D mode. Not sure if the 9986 can do this or if it senses the signal on the DVI-I socket and auto selects analogue or digital.

Do a search for posts by me in the cables forum for more information.

Phill_1981 said:
I use the ebay adaptor to connect my component leads to my 9986. Although mine is purple and not black as in that ebay ad. So not sure if any differences. other than the colour they look identical.
well I tried it but it didn't work. I just get a purple-ish screen. Guess I'll have to find some other way

Rurouni said:
well I tried it but it didn't work. I just get a purple-ish screen. Guess I'll have to find some other way
odd. must be a problem with the screen or player somewhere. I now have another component -> DVI cable now so do not use any adaptors :thumbsup:

guess I'll have to look for an other VGA to DVI or Component to DVI convertor / box.....

I use a DVI splitter adapter which brought cheaply on ebay, this is similar to the one described by Ian. This is a male DVI-I plugged into the TV's DVI socket, and about 20cm of cable terminated with a female DVI-D and female VGA sockets.

I normally run 2 PC's on my LCD screen, one using the VGA and one using DVI-D. I have also run my Samsung DVD player through the DVI-D conection, and also via component through the VGA socket using a Component to VGA cable.

In all of these case I have to switch DVI input mode on the TV, either DVI-PC, DVI-Video, DVI-Analogue PC, DVI-Analogue Video. This is easily done via remote, and saves me clamboring behind the back of the TV, and weakening the DVI socket every time I want to change source.

The build quality of the Molex cable is excellant, and I do not get interference or signal degradation conpared to a single cable. I only have standard length cables, if you have a 20m VGA there might be issues, but the adapter is so cheap, its worth trying out for yourself.

RockySpieler said:
I use a DVI splitter adapter which brought cheaply on ebay, this is similar to the one described by Ian. This is a male DVI-I plugged into the TV's DVI socket, and about 20cm of cable terminated with a female DVI-D and female VGA sockets.

I normally run 2 PC's on my LCD screen, one using the VGA and one using DVI-D. I have also run my Samsung DVD player through the DVI-D conection, and also via component through the VGA socket using a Component to VGA cable.

In all of these case I have to switch DVI input mode on the TV, either DVI-PC, DVI-Video, DVI-Analogue PC, DVI-Analogue Video. This is easily done via remote, and saves me clamboring behind the back of the TV, and weakening the DVI socket every time I want to change source.

The build quality of the Molex cable is excellant, and I do not get interference or signal degradation conpared to a single cable. I only have standard length cables, if you have a 20m VGA there might be issues, but the adapter is so cheap, its worth trying out for yourself.
What happend if you have both devices on at the same time? ie. DVI &VGA

Phill_1981 said:
What happend if you have both devices on at the same time? ie. DVI &VGA

If you have the DVI mode set to auto it defaults to the Analogue side (VGA or HD component), but I constantly feed both VGA and DVI-D and change the DVI input using the remote. There is no noticable interference when feeding both digital and analogue signal at the same time.

Note the DVI-I splitter does not give you 2 digitial inputs (or 2 analogue), it merely separates the digital (DVI-D) and analogue (DVI-A....can be VGA or HD Component) wires into separate sockets.

DVI Splitter

VGA to Component Cable

LCD FAQ DVI

RockySpieler said:
If you have the DVI mode set to auto it defaults to the Analogue side (VGA or HD component), but I constantly feed both VGA and DVI-D and change the DVI input using the remote. There is no noticable interference when feeding both digital and analogue signal at the same time.

Note the DVI-I splitter does not give you 2 digitial inputs (or 2 analogue), it merely separates the digital (DVI-D) and analogue (DVI-A....can be VGA or HD Component) wires into separate sockets.

DVI Splitter

VGA to Component Cable

LCD FAQ DVI
Maybe that DVI splitter is an option if I'd buy a VGAcable for the Xbox360. With the VGA cable I also get a 1080i signal out of my XBox, and then I use this DVI splitter cable to connect the Xbox through VGA -> DVI.....could work right?

Rurouni said:
Maybe that DVI splitter is an option if I'd buy a VGAcable for the Xbox360. With the VGA cable I also get a 1080i signal out of my XBox, and then I use this DVI splitter cable to connect the Xbox through VGA -> DVI.....could work right?

The VGA socket on the DVI Splitter is a female, so the XBox360 VGA male cable should fit. It is only a cable though and does not convert the signal. Your TV must be compatiable with the XBox360's HD 60Hz output, some DLP RP TV accept 1080i, but they are only 50Hz, so will not work with the XBox360 at HD resolutions. Most HDReady LCD's will work fine uisng the XBox360, but some user's have reported problems.

Very, Very few TV's are true 1080 screens.........why would you want 1080i (interlaced, only 30 FULL frames per second) on a gaming machine, I would have thought the 1366x768 @60Hz option would be ideal. But it does depend on the capability of your TV.

Even if you were streaming a 1080i movie, your screen is "probably" 1366x768 so the TV would have to deinterlace and scale the 1080i, the XBox360 "may" perform these tasks more effectively.

What TV have you got? There is a separate XBox360 section on the forums, it may be worth searching to see if someone is using your TV.

Keep this thread going - just what I was looking for!!
I'm also after a chaep and easy way of sharing a 9986 DVI conection.

I have a mac mini (for playing itunes etc.) and a hdmi HD DVD player.

If i get a vga/dvi splitter what's the best way to hook the dvd/mac?

option 1:
DVD - through DVI with a HDMI adaper / mac through vga

Option 2:
DVD through its VGA port / mac through it's DVI

Will option 2 allow the DVD player to send a HD signal to the TV?

prycop said:
Keep this thread going - just what I was looking for!!
I'm also after a chaep and easy way of sharing a 9986 DVI conection.

I have a mac mini (for playing itunes etc.) and a hdmi HD DVD player.

If i get a vga/dvi splitter what's the best way to hook the dvd/mac?

option 1:
DVD - through DVI with a HDMI adaper / mac through vga

Option 2:
DVD through its VGA port / mac through it's DVI

Will option 2 allow the DVD player to send a HD signal to the TV?

Both options should work and both should allow you to send an HD signal from the DVD. Option 1 will be sending a digital signal from the DVD whilst option 2 will be analogue. Try them both out as it is not guaranteed that your DVD will output a better signal from the HDMI output.

Olitwist said:
Both options should work and both should allow you to send an HD signal from the DVD. Option 1 will be sending a digital signal from the DVD whilst option 2 will be analogue. Try them both out as it is not guaranteed that your DVD will output a better signal from the HDMI output.

I'll report back on my findings as a reference later this week.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom