• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Fury 2 issues (PS3 to Panasonic TH-37PE50B Plasma TV)

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Hi All

I've searched the forums but haven't come across the problem i'm getting with my new HD Fury 2 unit... When I connect up the HDMI lead to the HD FURY 2 unit, then to my Panasonic Viera (model number: TH-37PE50B) Plasma TV (via the rgb component converter thing that came in the pack) i'm getting a screen that is warped and a bit flickery and with a pinky purple and black interface. It's like it's trying to give me HD and the black looks much truer but the rest of the colours are all over the place.

If I switch the HD FURY 2 to YUV it will let me view the screen in a dull grey/slightly desaturated colours BUT gives me NO SOUND

The blue LED is working.

My TV is capable of 1080i.

I have fiddled with the display settings on the PS3 to no avail - including trying all possible resolutions (576/720p/1080i/1080p)

I am in the UK - all of my equipment is UK based (ie. not imported)

I appreciate anyone responding to this post may need more info so please let me know if you can help - i'd be very grateful.

All the best

Ben

MarkTaylor

Are you using the external power supply for the Fury?

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Hi there - no i'm not - I contacted the company who sold me the unit and they are sending me the power supply as they forgot when they shipped it... he said that it would be odd that the PS3 wasn't giving out enough power to run the unit but do you think that could be it?

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

Ben :thumbsup:

MarkTaylor

I've seen similar reports before of problems when running without the power supply.

I wouldn't worry too much until you have it then if you still get problems start worrying then :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello benobikenobi

What is the 'rgb component converter thing that came in the pack' ?

Joe

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Hi Joe

Sorry - i'm not too technically savvy - it is a VGA port on one end and on the other end is what I think is called an RGB component... ie. it splits into 3 coloured leads - to go into the Y, PB, PR ports of my TV.

Hope that helps! Thanks for replying.

Ben

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello benobikenobi

OK understood - you are using the supplied HD15(VGA) to 3RCA cable.

The HDFury2 ought to be set to YUV (Component) and ensure you have the Green RCA plug going to the Y socket on the TV with Red to Pr and Blue to Pb (mind you I've seen a few systems where the Red and Blue had to be swapped over!)

Sound wise keep in mind you have to ensure the Source is outputting 2.0 LPCM for you to get anything out of the HD Fury audio pass through socket.

Hopefully a power supply will do the trick for you - if not the Vision FC4 should be next on your shopping list.

Joe

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Joe - thanks for your reply, I shall wait until the power supply gets delivered and see if that helps, if not I'll look into the Vision FC4 as you suggest.

Thanks for your time, fingers crossed!

Ben

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Hi Joe

Thanks again for your help - after a bit of messing around further with the settings I believe i'm now getting 1080i HD through the unit! Great! HOWEVER - still no sound.

I double checked the sound settings and selected (and grey'd out) are:

Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1kHz
&
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48kHz

I selected some of the other Linear PCM 2 Ch. xx.xkHz settings but when I went to confirm it, it said that it could damage the speakers if the TV does not support that frequency.

Is there some other setting I can try? I don't really want to chance damaging the TV!

Any clues? I'm pretty much out of ideas!

Cheers

Ben

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Hi Joe

I'm not sure if you got the last post but it looks as though i'm now getting 1080i through the HDFury 2 unit. The only thing that remains is that I cannot seem to get any sound.

Let me know if you have any idea what I might need to do - I appreciate your help.

All the best

Ben

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi Joe

I'm not sure if you got the last post but it looks as though i'm now getting 1080i through the HDFury 2 unit. The only thing that remains is that I cannot seem to get any sound.

Let me know if you have any idea what I might need to do - I appreciate your help.

All the best

Ben

Component only carries video, to get sound you need another connection, depending on what your TV supports it could be digital from the hdmi (which i imagine the HD Fury will output but will need a seperate lead) or analogue from another output on the PS3

benobikenobi

Standard Member
Many thanks everyone, yep, the problem was that I didn't realise component didn't carry sound. Purchased a AV jack and plugged it from the HDFury2 unit into the back of the TV and it worked fine... THANKS EVERYONE! ALL THE BEST. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom