HD Freeview Tuner required that can work as PVR & Media Player

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Titchtonka, Dec 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Titchtonka

Titchtonka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: HELP AN IGNORANT PERSON :lease:

I currently have skyplus multiroom, But im looking to scrap that and set up with Free-sat PVR's - Due to skys high subscription costs and my new found love of torrent's

I am looking for a PVR / Tuner but without built in HDD

(Ie I will make it a PVR by adding an external HDD)

It must have 2 lines in, so as to make it on par with my current set-up of sky box's.

I also want it to work as a media player,

I currently have a media player that I use with external HDD, but like the idea of combining this with my PVR so I can play all my media files without a separate box,

It must play all (or as many as poss) file types, SD and HD.

Preferably I would like 2 rear facing USB slots so I can add 2 x EX/HDD's - one for my media files and the other for the PVR function - Although I am not very conversant with non sky PVR's - So im open to the suggestion of one very large HDD that does both if that is possible?

I do not want to buy a machine with built in HDD as you look to pay 150 plus for a 320 GB machine, But i can buy a 2TB external for less then a ton,

I like the idea of being able to take my HDD to another place (ie downstairs) after recording in the main place of use (ie bedroom)

I know the intial set-up may be slightly higher, But the flexablility and higher capacity will be worth it.

In addition I like the idea of having them separately as if one breaks then you do not have so much cost to replace the broken item.

I have heard Humax are very good, But im a little cautious of recomendations, I recently purtchased a WD-TV MINI media player off the back of a recomendation (even tried my friends older version for the weekend) but then found the new version will not play half the file types the older version does.

These are what I currently perceive that I want, however im more then happy to be educated by anyone who has more knowledge of PVR's then myself - As long as I end up with a set-up that ticks all the boxes so to speak I will be happy.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Titchtonka

Titchtonka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot the mistake, I said Freeview in the title but meant FreeSAT

3. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I do not think you will find any that will satisfy you.
    If you get a lot of movies from BT, the only way you can play them is to get a dedicated HD media player.
    A sigma chip players has the best quality but more expensive.
    A realtek 1186 player is what you need for less than 100, especially if you play 3D movies.

4. Titchtonka

Titchtonka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok then, How about a decent HD-PVR, that has the capabilty of accepting an external HDD and can play most media files?

5. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I do not think there is any.
    I do not think there is any media player capable HD PVR can play more than 50% of downloaded movies mostly mkv (OK the PVR supports that). Then you have different audio encoding such as DTS, AC3, DD (there are variations in each).

Then there is the limitation of choosing audio channel, subtitles etc. Almost all HD PVR will only play default audio channel, without option to select others, and without subtitles.

If I were you, I would not waste time hunting for non existant and just settle for 2 separate devices.

6. darucla

darucla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Google for Dreambox or Vu+ Duo (and similar boxes). They may be a little more expensive, and less straightforward, than you are looking for, but there are a number of starter options. Part of the problem is that neither are Freesat certified, so the EPG gathering is always a little more complex than ideal.

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Confused every Freesat/Freeview-HD pvr has these options. Freesat HD channels have two audio tracks, the primary one normally ac3 (2.0 or 5.1) and a secondary lpcm stereo track for Audio Description. Freeview-HD has Audio Description built in to the aac audio so needs no extra track. Both can have subtitles if the broadcaster includes them.

8. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You were confused.
    We were talking about playing a movie file through the USB port of a HD PVR.

9. ivankb

ivankb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an idea - use a PC to transcode whatever is necessary and send it to your device in a usable format. eg PS3 Media Server