• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD Flip cams. Any good? And what's the cheapest?

Barnabell

Standard Member
Looking for a HD flip camera. Are they any good? And are there any at decent prices? Thanks.:smashin:

carps2000

Hi Barnabell, do you mean you specifically want the cheapest HD Video camera made by Flip or you just want an HD pocket video camera?

If it's the former then I think the Flip Ultra HD is the cheapest HD camera they make. I don't have one, but it has been well reviewed.

If you just want to know about pocket video cameras in general then that's different. Some are much better than others and the features differ widely

They are all very different to traditional camcorders though. What are you going to be using it for and I'll try to help.

Barnabell

Standard Member
Thanks, and I didn't really know the name, so yes, the cheapest pocket video camera, rather than the Flip range. Sorry. Em, probably for filming outside mostly? Filming any old thing really.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

After all those years I still use my Sony TG3e a lot...I can highly recommend that range...

carps2000

Ok Barnabell, I’ll do my best. Let me start by telling you I work for Kodak just so that we’re all clear about that from the start! I’ll tell you a little bit about Pocket Video Cameras in general and then some models to look out for.

So on to your first question – are they any good? I think the best answer to this is yes, they are excellent, but know what you’re buying. All Pocket Video Cameras have some limitations vs. traditional camcorders, mainly
1. Very few have any optical zoom
2. They have smaller sensors so low light filming can be harder
3. Not many have image stabilisation
4. They are simple to use so very few buttons. i.e not many setting for you to change

That’s the negatives, but:
1. They are much, much smaller
2. They are great value for money
3. They are made with sites like YouTube and Facebook in mind, so uploading videos is really simple
4. They produce amazing results. People are always surprised that something so small and (relatively) cheap can produce such a great result

The whole category came about because people started shooting videos very differently. Rather than a large professional device, a lot of people just wanted something small that could record really good quality videos that could then be uploaded to the internet. They are hugely popular too, have a look on Amazon at the best-selling camcorders, most of them are Pocket Video Cameras.

Personally a pocket video recorder is more useful to me than a traditional camcorder. The size, and price more than make up for any technical limitations and the files that are produced are easy to mess around with in a way I want to use them. That’s just my opinion though; I’ve read many people say that no optical zoom make them an instant no. – just depends how you want to use them.

So, onto which one to buy and this is where I’ll try my best to be neutral! I read a lot of reviews on the Kodak Zi8 which is our latest model. It’s done really well. It won a group test in Stuff magazine last month and generally it is considered to be one of the very best in its class. I’d seriously look at the Zi8 along with the Flip range and I think you’re on the right path

The Flip range has also been very successful, and I guess if you want an HD model then the Flip Ultra HD is the one for you to look at. I have seen countless comparisons of Kodak models vs Flip models and the most neutral thing I can say is there’s not much in it. This website has a really in-depth comparison of the two

The Portable HD Video Recorder Smackdown: Flip UltraHD vs Kodak Zi8 | HighTechDad Blog

Have a read around, check out sample videos on YouTube and Vimeo and if there’s anything specific just ask.

Hope that’s useful
Cheers
Martin

scousejedi

The above looks very helpful and its gave me a bit more of an understanding regarding these type of cameras.

I'm looking into getting a new camcorder within the next week or so and have been looking at getting either one of these or a traditional type. I've got a JVC camcorder that records to miniDV, however I find the image quality isn't the best when I'm burning to disc or watching on a big screen, plus the use of tapes is getting tedious. I've been looking at the video quality of the Kodak and its really impressive even on youtube.

I was looking at this for a traditional camcorder:
Buy HITACHI DZHV1074E/U | High definition sd card camcorder - Specification | Comet

Julesw

Standard Member
Hi,

I have been using Flip for a while - you can pick up the standard Flip Ultra for around £90 but I would go for the Ultra HD if your pc can handle hd.

Its around £129 - amazon are always best priced due to the volume they shift

mino hd is nice too (more compact) but £50 quid more approx.

There's also a new flip 'slide hd' that's come out in the US last week but reviews have been iffy and it usually takes 2 month so or more to get released in uk

People generally agonise over whether to get the Mino HD or Ultra HD but I have have analysed them both here.

jules

mightymax76

Ok Barnabell, I’ll do my best. Let me start by telling you I work for Kodak just so that we’re all clear about that from the start! I’ll tell you a little bit about Pocket Video Cameras in general and then some models to look out for.

So on to your first question – are they any good? I think the best answer to this is yes, they are excellent, but know what you’re buying. All Pocket Video Cameras have some limitations vs. traditional camcorders, mainly
1. Very few have any optical zoom
2. They have smaller sensors so low light filming can be harder
3. Not many have image stabilisation
4. They are simple to use so very few buttons. i.e not many setting for you to change

That’s the negatives, but:
1. They are much, much smaller
2. They are great value for money
3. They are made with sites like YouTube and Facebook in mind, so uploading videos is really simple
4. They produce amazing results. People are always surprised that something so small and (relatively) cheap can produce such a great result

The whole category came about because people started shooting videos very differently. Rather than a large professional device, a lot of people just wanted something small that could record really good quality videos that could then be uploaded to the internet. They are hugely popular too, have a look on Amazon at the best-selling camcorders, most of them are Pocket Video Cameras.

Personally a pocket video recorder is more useful to me than a traditional camcorder. The size, and price more than make up for any technical limitations and the files that are produced are easy to mess around with in a way I want to use them. That’s just my opinion though; I’ve read many people say that no optical zoom make them an instant no. – just depends how you want to use them.

So, onto which one to buy and this is where I’ll try my best to be neutral! I read a lot of reviews on the Kodak Zi8 which is our latest model. It’s done really well. It won a group test in Stuff magazine last month and generally it is considered to be one of the very best in its class. I’d seriously look at the Zi8 along with the Flip range and I think you’re on the right path

The Flip range has also been very successful, and I guess if you want an HD model then the Flip Ultra HD is the one for you to look at. I have seen countless comparisons of Kodak models vs Flip models and the most neutral thing I can say is there’s not much in it. This website has a really in-depth comparison of the two

The Portable HD Video Recorder Smackdown: Flip UltraHD vs Kodak Zi8 | HighTechDad Blog

Have a read around, check out sample videos on YouTube and Vimeo and if there’s anything specific just ask.

Hope that’s useful
Cheers
Martin

I too found this useful as I am looking to buy a pocket camcorder. I mainly want to use it when I am at concerts and festivals, and I have looked into the Flip and Kodak Playsport but still cant decide. I like the Flip with the batteries as you can use standard which will be great as I could be away for a number of days with no access to recharge so I can just pop in normal batteries.

Given what I am looking to record how does these two models perform with sound? I have attempted to use my iPhone before and it has a horrid hissing sound if the volume of the gig is too loud.
I have found a few videos on YouTube when people have used the Flip at concerts and given its can be low lighting it does seem to perform very well. I am struggling to find videos of the Kodak so any guidance on that would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

carps2000

Hi mightmax.

Concert footage should be fine. You have the option of using an external mic with the Zi8 that would obviously help, but even without it you can expect pretty good results. Whilst I haven't directly compared the two, I don't think you'll see an enormous difference. When Flip and Kodak are reviewed the audio performance is normally pretty similar.

As always it depends how and what you're trying to film. Learn how to use the camera with light ("good" light and bad light) and try to hold it still and you'll be very happy with the results.

Let me just give you a couple of other things to think about

if you're away for a few days, would non-expandable memory concern you? That's one big difference between Kodak and Flip. With Kodak you'll need to but an extra SD card so that's an extra expense, but with Flip if you fill the memory and can't access a computer, you'll need to delete your files to create space. In fairness I haven't heard many Flip users complain about this so maybe in reality it's not an issue, but something to think about.

Secondly, where's the festival?! I was at Glastonbury a few years ago and to say it was wet would be an understatement! If you're planning on filming in the UK then I would suggest looking at a water resistant model or waterproof housing! Have a look at the new Kodak Playsport.

If the battery thing is important you might want to look at the Kodak Zx1 too. AA batteries, water resistant and £50 on Amazon.

Sorry this is all Kodak specific, I'm just not in the best position to comment on Flip products. Both brands are reviewed well so you're probably starting from the right place!

Hope that helps

mightymax76

Hi mightmax.

Concert footage should be fine. You have the option of using an external mic with the Zi8 that would obviously help, but even without it you can expect pretty good results. Whilst I haven't directly compared the two, I don't think you'll see an enormous difference. When Flip and Kodak are reviewed the audio performance is normally pretty similar.

As always it depends how and what you're trying to film. Learn how to use the camera with light ("good" light and bad light) and try to hold it still and you'll be very happy with the results.

Let me just give you a couple of other things to think about

if you're away for a few days, would non-expandable memory concern you? That's one big difference between Kodak and Flip. With Kodak you'll need to but an extra SD card so that's an extra expense, but with Flip if you fill the memory and can't access a computer, you'll need to delete your files to create space. In fairness I haven't heard many Flip users complain about this so maybe in reality it's not an issue, but something to think about.

Secondly, where's the festival?! I was at Glastonbury a few years ago and to say it was wet would be an understatement! If you're planning on filming in the UK then I would suggest looking at a water resistant model or waterproof housing! Have a look at the new Kodak Playsport.

If the battery thing is important you might want to look at the Kodak Zx1 too. AA batteries, water resistant and £50 on Amazon.

Sorry this is all Kodak specific, I'm just not in the best position to comment on Flip products. Both brands are reviewed well so you're probably starting from the right place!

Hope that helps

Cheers for the guidance it has been most useful and for me it is a toss-up between Flip and the Play.

And yes I will be going to Glastonbury and V Festival so it may well be the Play as it appears a bit more robust!

kikapu

Standard Member

kikapu

Standard Member
I would love to say thats helped!!!! But it hasnt!!!

The kodaks do seem to have a much crisper picture :) but is so much worse in low light!!!! :( you need both kodak for day shooting and flip for night and indoor! ;)

unless the kodak zi8 is any better in low light!? although I doubt it as they both have the same chip! :(

Last edited:

kikapu

Standard Member
O another thing I have noticed is that the flip needs leopard or snow leopard to run but I only have tiger!! Does anyone else know if this is true? Or if I just use imovie to import the video and not the onboard software will it work on tiger??

Could mean I have to go for a Zi8 but then my processor doesnt meet the 2.8ghz they require how difficult can this be!!!although think this is a lesser of a problem as I have a 2.16ghz intel core 2 Duo.

DpM

Are these any good? The price is good but not sure about the spec and performance compared against the Flip and the Playsport

Kodak Zi6 1.6mp 128mb HD Pocket Video Camcorder - Black - Ebuyer

It is the same spec as the zx1, for the money there great. I have found it superb for taking everywhere I go. The Zx1 is smaller and better for pocketing and even cheaper here.
Kodak Zx1 - High Definition Pocket Video Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The playsport does 1080 but is only 30 fps so I think you would end up using the 720 @ 60 fps more. Id say if you need to use it under water then get the play sport, if not go for the Zx1 or Zi6 or newer Zi8.

Not used a flip so cant comment on them bar they looked nice on the stand at the gadget show :D

Last edited:

mightymax76

Well I brought the Kodak Playsport and I am impressed with it so far. I am off to a concert tomorrow night so might give it a test then

mightymax76

Here are few tests using the Kodak Playsport at a concert (Florence and the Machine). The sound may appear to fade in and out every so often this was due to me covering the microphone whilst holding it by accident.

I pretty pleased how it seemed to cope with the situation I have got a few more concerts coming up in the near future so I will give it another test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfxASBFBow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPf2vPDqHWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPT7vPDb9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP4SavCDvDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCBVEG_NLGg

Julesw

Standard Member
I think what the side by side playsport / video proves if the Flip Ultra is better at handling exposure (eg the cardboard boxes/snow) that's pretty crucial IMO.

But of course I am a Flip freak

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom