HD Film prices need to drop more !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by low-def, Jan 18, 2008.

1. low-def

low-def
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As the title suggests, prices need to drop quickly in discs to encourage more takeup of the format(s).

Just by wondering around in HMV or any other high street chain is plain to see why there is not of a HD takeup by consumers. £25+ for a film - my god joe public says, i'm not paying that !

For example, in HMV last weekend they were selling discs at:

300 / dvd = £4.99
    Blood Diamond / dvd = £4.99
    Deja Vue / dvd = £5.99
    28 Weeks Later / dvd = £5.99

Then the HD stuff:

300 / bd = £23.99
    Blood Diamond / bd = £17.99
    Deja Vue / bd = £17.99
    28 Weeks Later / bd £23.99

It's no wonder people are not prepared to jump from DVD to HD.

Then from talking to people my age at work (21-30) the majority were saying how they had purchased a flat screen tv of some sort and bought a 'HD Upscaling' dvd player to go with it, having being sold it as an extra from dixons, currys, comet etc.

The fact that I work in a building of say 750 people, and i know a large pecentage of that figure, I am the only one I know that owns a HD disc :thumbsdow

Answer:

1) Better / more promotion
    2) 1 format and not 2
    3) Price drop on software
    4) Price drop on hardware

Unless there is more of the above in 2008, I think we are all wasting our monies on 2 formats that will fail to take off long-term.

End of the day the majority of the public will buy on prices and not pic/sound quality !

Come on HD, get your act together !

2. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I was in tesco's the other day looking to buy a blu-ray or an HD DVD

Just couldn’t pay the prices, so bought 4 SD for under £20.00 in there sales

Steve

3. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    It may also be the case that the majority of films released on HD are rereleases public already own - as soon as more original films come out (with DVd's costing in the £15-£20 region in hmv) then there could be a bigger take up

One format is crucial though, until that time it will still be pretty limited in take up - and of course no-one says no to lower prices

4. dowzer

dowzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Disc prices are what is stopping me 'going HD'.

The EP35 at £220 from Amazon is so tempting but I personally cant justify paying £15+ for a movie which might only be watched once.

In the last 2 weeks I have bought 300 and Platoon for £8 from play.com and also Ladder 49,Chronicles of Riddick and American History X for less than £9 from Asda. 5 movies for about £5 less than play.com want for 300 or Transformers?????

Mind you SD new releases are too expensive as well imo. £10 should be the max I think and then older titles at about £6-£7??? Maybe that is unrealistic but it's what will get me interested.

I may still get the EP35 shortly but will be looking for For Sales bargains as opposed to buying new.

:hiya:

5. low-def

low-def
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you get used to paying hd prices, you are initally shocked when you go into tesco and see the sd dvd's going for £3,4,5 a go.

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Moved to HD Movies. :)

7. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +869
    £14 is pretty much my limit for films I buy in the UK, in the US I import usually for no more than £20, but thats because I am impatient and hate going to the cinema, but yes, Speed on standard def dvd for £4, couple of isles away Speed on Blu-ray for £28, wonder what average Joe will buy.

8. elicash73

elicash73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Patience. The prices won't come down until more people start buying them. Economies of scale.

DVDs were equally expensive in their infancy.

Shop around online and you end up paying not much more for new releases in high-definition over standard definition counterparts. In full 1080p glory and charming cases.

There are so few titles in high-def, anyway. Make sure to tell your friends.

9. low-def

low-def
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know 'patience is a virtue'

For example I want to buy enemy of the state - always liked that film, but £17.99 for and old film on bd or £4.99 on dvd......:suicide:

10. me-uk

me-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    luckily there are a few bargains to be had online. I was shocked to see Sunshine for £30 in HMV yesterday, however even amazon sell the blueray version for £23.98 and the SD version for £6.98, utter madness!
    However don't forget how expensive DVDs used to be (compared to tapes).

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    I went in HMV today and was browsing their HD DVD/Blu-ray titles - they had a '3 for 2' offer (spread across films from both formats) but the prices were £25-28 per film. So effectively £50+ for three films :(

It's madness - people will not buy at prices like that. I have a nigh on unlimited budget for DVDs (etc) and I won't pay that. So I can't imagine there are many who would.

Prices need to come down fast IMHO. This is much more important than achieving a single format. I think a high def film should command a slight premium - maybe £3 above the SD DVD variant. But they have to keep the disc prices below £20 if they want the formats to remain credible IMHO.

12. elicash73

elicash73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Catch 22.

You realise, this thing is still in early adopter phase? If there isn't one format, nobodies going to buy into it, and the retailers aren't going to be able to get behind the product and push it.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    Early adopter phase? We have millions of homes with a PS3 and Blu-ray capability. And a million plus homes with HD DVD. This is the mass adoption phase. If they don't achieve that now they will be niche for years. I am all for that - but those who have been earnestly campaigning for a single format presumably want a high market penetration sooner rather than later. Well now is the time folks - the formats live or die based on the pricing they are now. £25-£30 will put most off for a very long time I think.

14. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    One of the reasons i bought into HD DVD over Bluray was because it was regeon free and i could buy movies from the US months erlier and for a cheaper price.
    As it now stands with the Warner Brothers debacle it looks like WB and all the other bluray studios can look forward to the extra income in the future from all the saps that are forced to buy Bluray films at £22-£30 because of the region coding on bluray!

P.S. I know some Bluray movies are region free, but that will soon change when the studios realise how much more money they can screw out of you.

It makes good business sense for them, but its not so good for the consumer!

15. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,957
    Tapes used to be around £50 to £60 when they first came out Factor in inflation that'd more than double those prices. Do the HD prices seem so bad now.:D

All the best
    Bri

16. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,957
    Most people I know who have a PS3 do not buy or even rent Blu-Ray. A few have one or two discs or borrow from me. My son may have as many as three or four.

Regards
    Bri

17. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Thats very true. I havent bought a film on SD for ages now and was amazed when I went into Smiths and Morrisons and saw how cheap they are. Also means theres no point in trying to flog off the old collection, as there's simply no value in them. Better to give them to friends, family and colleagues.

18. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,957
    I buy DVDs at this price if I'm unsure if I'll like them or I think they won't come out in HD. I'm finding some very good bargins in the world cinema section of a local Asda.:thumbsup:

Cheers
    Bri

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    I'm actually totally the opposite.

I bought the PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray player that I was aware had the technology required to be upgraded to Profile 2.0 over time.

The fact that it also plays games etc is a superb bonus and one I do make use of.

20. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,957
    I only use mine as a Blu-Ray. DVD and SACD player. No games at all.

All the best
    Bri

21. low-def

low-def
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think untill this HD war is sorted out more, i'm going to step back from buying and just rent for a few months.

I can't help thinking all these films at £15+ are going to be a waste.

22. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    I agree that the film prices for HD movies are sky high at the moment. When I first got a HD DVD player most films I bought were between £14.99-£17.99 now if I go out and buy a recent Blu-ray or HD DVD release I am paying about £23.99 (and higher in some cases).

I am not sure if the discs I bought early on were just cheap films but it seems that prices have increased instead of decreasing.

Personally I can understand HD discs costing more than DVD's as they are a premium product in a niche market and the cost of production is higher than DVD but I am OK with paying £14.99-£17.99 but £23.99 and up a disc is expensive and it mounts up as I tend to buy a handful of films in 1 go.

I don't want to go back to buying DVD's as I love the quality of the audio and video of most HD movies but I can't afford that many so building up my HD collection is going to be a slow process.

23. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,584
    I believe there are two issues here.

First up is the ridiculous prices still being charged by the likes of HMV. I appreciate that b&m stores may need to charge a little more than online sites, due to their town centre locations, but the price differences are often crazy.

Secondly, there still appears to be some disparity in prices.

I bought the UK HD DVD of Bourne Ultimatum on release from Sendit for £13.89. I think £10-£15 is more than reasonable for the product being offered. So why am I still unable to get other new films for less than £17 or so? I'm currently waiting until February to buy more titles (a bit skint after Christmas), and am looking at Eastern Promises, Zodiac and The Kingdom. But I'm looking at £17.99 each.

At the moment £10-£15 looks reasonable, whilst £15-£20 looks like someone's taking the Michael.

Steve W

24. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've stopped buying SD DVDs now unless there is something that i know won't be out on Blu Ray any time soon (like Sigur Ros- Heima or Transformers). It's made me a lot more selective as to what i'm buying, however i was never really an impulse buyer with SD discs.

I now own 9 films on Blu Ray and took advantage of HMV's 3 for 2 offer a few weeks ago. But i'm only buying films i don't have on SD at the moment, i'm not even entertaining replacing my current collection until prices drop a fair bit.

I think people who moan about new technology being expensive are ignorant to the way that the market works. It takes time for the cost of things to come down but people want everything cheaper now. Consumer greed is getting ridiculous. There are no real sales anymore as people want the discounted prices now, not at traditional sale times. I actually get fed up of people asking for discount on electrical goods at work so much now that i've virtually stopped giving discount on principal. Strangely though, my sales figures haven't dropped at all.

25. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Consumer greed? I think the thread refers to sensible pricing strategy. Nobody can justify £20+, and pesonally, I can't justify £15+.

26. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    £20+ is justifiable in the current market. Prices will drop over time as it's still fairly early doors for HD media. People moaned about DVD being expensive because VHS was ridiculously cheap in comparison when DVD came out.

27. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    I just dont buy from the High Street unless there are good deals on. I buy over the net, and will continue to do so.

Rocky Balboa on blueray retails at £30 in some High Street stores. For Joe Public, who doesn't know were to buy on the web, that is enough to put them off buying into the HD format, when you can buy thaht particular title on sd for about £6.

I recently bought 3 for 2 bluerays out of Zavi, and even the cost of that (£50) was what I would have probably paid on the web anyway for the 3 titles seperately. I went for it, as I wanted the films and fair enough.

I dont think we will see any price drop any time soon, so its imports for me. That is the beauty of HDDVD. For my bluerays I am stuck for certain releases being region locked, but I can live with that if it is the odd one or two I guess.

28. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    but they werent!

Back in the late 90s it was still £12.99 to £14.99 for a new release film on VHS - and often a couple of quid extra for the widescreen version.

VHS simply wasnt cheap.

DVD was identified as a superior product and given a premium price - akin in a way to the price of CDs as opposed to LPs in the 80s.

HD items are again, lazily being premium priced, but at the same time DVDs have come down - or at least seem to be subject to the sort of aggressive discounting that seems much more common now than for VHS ten or so years ago.

The gap between VHS and DVD in the late 90s was clear but not massive. In practical terms on the ground the gap between HD and SD is much larger.

29. tvmonkey

tvmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sorry, but DVD was still approx £20 between 1997-1999 and VHS (as you rightly state) was still £12-£15 for a new release. That mirrors today's market with DVD and HD Media. What part of what i said earlier didn't you get?

Granted, most DVDs don't stay at new release prices for long, but they are still proportional.

Please remember that there was no mass internet availability until the early 2000's so there wasn't the need to discount prices so aggressively. If we factor in inflation as well, prices are fairly static and we're actually paying less for new media than we were 10 years ago.

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    I would say on high end setups "gap between HD and SD is much larger", but for most the gap is alot smaller than it was with DVD and VHS.

What did SD DVD give us that VHS didn't? Well better PQ and AQ which was visible on a large range of equipment. But I think that was only part of the appeal - the slimline nature of the media (as opposed to clunky tapes), no rewinding, CD style access, perceived value given by extras and dirt cheap pricing by Supermarkets.

Can HD DVD/Blu-ray appeal on the same scale? I don't think so. The improved PQ and AQ will only really be noticeable on large screen TVs - so that's half the market out the picture already. Factor in a sheer lack of understanding about how to achieve a high def picture, similar CD style access and extras that are much of a muchness. Would that inspire people to pay a premium. I don't think so - I suppose it depends where they can push these 'next gen' extras - but prices need to plummet or people aren't going to bother.