HD-EP30 & composite connection

J80FAB

Novice Member
I have my EP30 connected to a 21" CRT, still no HD TV.

The player is connected via composite.

Haven't tried any HD DVDs yet but when I playback SD DVDs it becomes evident that moving objects including people occasionally leave behind a sort of white-ish transparent trace/streak. Fast moving space craft in Star Wars for example will show this. It remains for about 1 second or just under & goes away.

I'm not sure what is going on here. I went out & bought another EP30 yesterday because I wanted a back-up machine & to see if it shows the same picture characteristic, and it does !

Haven't updated the firmware - one machine has version 1.0 and the one I picked up yesterday has version 1.1.

Does anyone know what this could be ?

Could it be that both machines have a picture processing fault via composite ? Difficult to tell if the same may occur via HDMI as I have no HDTV. It could be the TV or have there been known picture issues with the earlier firmware & should I therefore upgrade to see if there is a difference ?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I have my EP30 connected to a 21" CRT, still no HD TV.

The player is connected via composite.

Haven't tried any HD DVDs yet but when I playback SD DVDs it becomes evident that moving objects including people occasionally leave behind a sort of white-ish transparent trace/streak. Fast moving space craft in Star Wars for example will show this. It remains for about 1 second or just under & goes away.

I'm not sure what is going on here. I went out & bought another EP30 yesterday because I wanted a back-up machine & to see if it shows the same picture characteristic, and it does !

Haven't updated the firmware - one machine has version 1.0 and the one I picked up yesterday has version 1.1.

Does anyone know what this could be ?

Could it be that both machines have a picture processing fault via composite ? Difficult to tell if the same may occur via HDMI as I have no HDTV. It could be the TV or have there been known picture issues with the earlier firmware & should I therefore upgrade to see if there is a difference ?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks
Hi J80FAB. :)
There was a couple of posts A while back now regarding similiar issues when using composite connection on a CRT :( i think it was the EP35,though. :confused:
The usual advice is to up date the firmware to see if it cures the problem.
All the best.

J80FAB

Novice Member
There was a couple of posts A while back now regarding similiar issues when using composite connection on a CRT :( i think it was the EP35,though. :confused:
The usual advice is to up date the firmware to see if it cures the problem.
All the best.

:hiya: Thanks kingfats

I did a quick search & one threads which came up was composite but bad picture with NTSC disc. Though that was to do with the TV set not being NTSC compatible.

I'll do a little more investigative work ;)

As you say it's probably down to the player. The majority will have it connected via HDMI so if this issue is present I guess it'll never be picked up.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
:

As you say it's probably down to the player. The majority will have it connected via HDMI so if this issue is present I guess it'll never be picked up.
Yep :D composite questions don't get posted much. :)
All the best.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
I had a ep 30 connected via composite to one of the best tvs sony produced 32 FD 1E and was quite plesantly surprised on how good the picture was viewed r2 film no blurring etc noticed !!!

bosque

Novice Member
Composite is the worst connection option and is only to be used if you cannot connect via Scart, component or HDMI (although obviously there is no Scart connection for hi-def players).

J80FAB

Novice Member
Composite is the worst connection option and is only to be used if you cannot connect via Scart, component or HDMI (although obviously there is no Scart connection for hi-def players).
Yes composite isn't the most ideal connection for achieving the best PQ but nevertheless I have to say that overall it's pretty darn good on the EP30 even when fed into a run-of-the-mill 21" Thomson CRT !

I upgraded the firmware in one of the machines from 1.1 to 1.3 and still the same happens.

I'll investigate further. Just hope it's not like this through component or HDMI or I'll cry ! Then again if it is Toshiba will have to do something about it !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom