HD-E1 at comet

Dave2

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok for those after 1 of these comet online has the hd-e1 in stock but you will not be able to get it untill the 27th of december between 7am - 12am.

I would advise anyone who wants one to go there now before they all go :)

can get one for delivery on Sat if you pay an extra 12 quid :)

Total (inc. Delivery) £461.94

Delivery service: Standard Delivery
Delivering to: XXXXXXXXX
Arriving: Saturday 23rd December between 7am - 6pm

Can't believe they still have the Sammy BR at £999 :eek:

They've had some delivered today to the store in Stoke-on-Trent. I'd imagine that some other stores now also have them in stock :thumbsup:

Cheers Dave2. I've cancelled my 247 Electrical order and ordered from Comet - Thursday was the earliest delivery date for me.

I called Comet and all the stores around here (Berkshire) have the HD-E1 in stock so why not pop along and pick up instore?

I picked one up from Comet Merry Hill tonight :thumbsup: , they still have 3 in stock if anyone's interested.

picked mine up today. CD's work, DVD's dont (just read, cant play disc, check disc). Cant play HD-DVD's yet, coz i havent got any.

Someone help! Toshiba told me to leave it on for 3 hours, ive done that, and its still cant play a R2 dvd. Ive had enough. :suicide:

Walked into my local comet today, and came out with the last one they had in stock. So if you try Stevenage they wont have any because I have it.

Initial impressions good, no HD-DVDs yet but normal DVD's and CD's all play fine. Connected to my LG 42PC1D and running at 1080i.

Its ok and playing normal dvd's. Maybe using a cd kicked started it. :thumbsup:

I went to my local comet, five in stock today.
I started speaking to the sales guys and god help me they talk some crap.
Kept telling me BLu ray has alreay won, HD DVD is only good for media hence Microsoft backing. Picture was not as coulourfull as there Samsung BLu Ray.
The bilge just kept coming. They just didnt want to sell the unit to me.
I would imagine they were trying to shift the double priced Samsung unit this week.
Even comparing the Samsung 1080p Swat movie that was running to the demo on the HD DVD I cant say the picture looked worse on the Toshiba.
In fact, I still felt the Toshiba looked a better picture despite the sales guys stood next to me doing there upmost to convince me otherwise.
Anyone else had this scenario?

Carl

Never considered this before as I have been wanting to get the 360 HD-DVD drive, but is the HD-E1 any good?

I presume it will be much better than the £130 360 drive? I have built up a good amount of vouchers for comet that I wanted to spend on the 360 drive but doesn't look like they are getting any for ages.

My current player is the Denon 2900. Is the HD-E1 as good for SD content etc?

Thanks
Greg

Greg, the E1 has totally changed my views on AV and value for money. For HD DVD and £450 you get a movie picture and (movie) sound quality that far outperforms even the most expensive SD DVD player (cannot compete with their music playback of course). As to standard DVD upscaling I think it is also very good for the money and I don't think many people would feel shortchanged.

You can also do the reserve for instore collection from their website, any discount codes anyone?

Greg, the Toshiba is better than the XBox360 add-on but not by much from what I hear. If the audio is important then get E1, if not then hold out for the 360 drive. I am in this dillema, because I have no idea who will win the HD war, so will propably buy the two cheap solutions, 360 and PS3.

But the good thing about the E1, is that it is multi-region for HD-DVDs wheras the 360 one is not, but I'm not much of an importer.

I agree, having went out and bought 2 x HD-DVD movies from HMV I think this is good value for money. HMV had a far better range of HD-DVD than Blu-Ray.

My local comet didnt have a samsung blu-ray to compare the toshiba with, but it was the demo playing on the toshiba LCD that won it. The demo was superb.

I was thinking about getting the 360 add-on but decided against it for 2 reasons, 1) lack of availability. 2) My theory is a dedicated player should be better at playing the media than the addon with a piece of software.

ash, interesting coment about multi region. I was suprised that the harry potter hd-dvd from HMV has the UK age rating symbol on the cover, but when playing the disc the 1st thing you see is the FBI warning then the USA age rating.

Greg, the E1 has totally changed my views on AV and value for money. For HD DVD and £450 you get a movie picture and (movie) sound quality that far outperforms even the most expensive SD DVD player (cannot compete with their music playback of course). As to standard DVD upscaling I think it is also very good for the money and I don't think many people would feel shortchanged.
Having spent a few hours with one today, I have to agree with all of the above - Dolby TrueHD is :thumbsup: !!!

But the good thing about the E1, is that it is multi-region for HD-DVDs wheras the 360 one is not, but I'm not much of an importer.

The 360 add-on is multiregion for HD-DVDs though?:confused: It better be, because that's what I read on here and I've just ordered a few import movies:mad:

The 360 add-on is multiregion for HD-DVDs though?:confused: It better be, because that's what I read on here and I've just ordered a few import movies:mad:

There are currently no HD DVD region codes irrespective of player type. However DVD is still region coded.

AVI

As the psot below, the films are region-free currently, but say when youg et region-coding, your XBox360 add-on will only play UK region films.

As the psot below, the films are region-free currently, but say when youg et region-coding, your XBox360 add-on will only play UK region films.

As far as I undertand it all HD DVD players purchased prior to the introduction of any HD DVD region codes will remain region free forever. I'm not sure if you are saying this is not the case in your post ?

AVI

As far as I undertand it all HD DVD players purchased prior to the introduction of any HD DVD region codes will remain region free forever. I'm not sure if you are saying this is not the case in your post ?

AVI

hhmmmppff....as far as I understood it, it was the HD Discs that are region free, not the player....and that once discs are region coded, they will only play the region of the player

Having spent a few hours with one today, I have to agree with all of the above - Dolby TrueHD is :thumbsup: !!!
How does it output this then? Is there an onboard decoder?

How does it output this then? Is there an onboard decoder?

Actually reading about, it looks like it outputs it as Dolby or DTS via optical but it still sounds far superior to SD.

hhmmmppff....as far as I understood it, it was the HD Discs that are region free, not the player....and that once discs are region coded, they will only play the region of the player

ALL HD-DVD players sold in the US and Europe so far will be HD-regionfree for good. This has been verified by the European Toshiba man in charge, in a AVpodcast from september, if I remember correct.

Should they add regioncoding to discs in the future, such discs will be played back without problems on players sold now, again from the same AVpodcast.

:D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom