HD-DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlfaKhan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi!

Movies in HD-DVDs are just around the corner, with some sites already announcing releases for coming May.

I am I correct to assume that only dedicated HD-DVD players will be able to read these?

If so, how come I seem not to be able to find such players? Kind of strange coming up with the content without anything to play it on...

AK

2. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Yes you will need a dedicated HD-DVD player to play the new format, the first players should be released in the US very soon but we will probably have to wait a bit to see them in Europe.
    Some players have been anounced, Toshiba have a few players coming out soon, there is a bit more talk about the subject in the High Definition TV part of this forum.

Andy

3. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Pioneer DV-989AVi-S is a HD DVD player (see here http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11508&taxonomy_id=42-84) and I bought mine in February 2006. However, currently there is no HD DVD media (but samples are available on the Sky web site - but not at full HD clarity) so I have not yet seen the device in all it's glory :)

4. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think you'll find it only upscales dvds to Hi-Def format. True dedicated HD-DVD players aren't available yet:lesson:

5. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What HiFi Sound & Vision tested this in January 2006 and gave it 5 stars. Moreover, I have a report which states that it uses HDMI version 1.1 and supports up to HDTV 1080 60p

Why do you say it does not support HDMI?

6. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Oh dear I hope you didn't fork that much out thinking you were getting something you weren't :oops:

7. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Not sure he did say that, he just said it's not a HD DVD player which it isn't unfortunately. It supports HDMI connectivity and HDCP etc but that doesn't mean it will play a HD-DVD when one appears, sorry....

8. Kaysee

Kaysee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly complies with 1080 60p HD standard so why do you say it won't play a HD DVD?:confused:

9. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nice name change Chevalier... :)

Anyhow, where did you see the info regarding it supporting HD-DVD and I'll have a look into it....

10. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    As i said it only upscales to hi-def resolution, and i did not mention HDMI at all.

Toshiba are releasing 2 HD-DVD players in the next few months which ARE designed to play the HD-DVD Format .

Afraid if you were told that the pioneer would play HD-DVD's when they are launched you were misled. As players that will play these aren't available just yet

Btw : Googled for HD-DVD Players and got a lot of links to players that AREN'T the new HD-DVD Format, its no wonder people are getting confused thinking they have the latest format players

11. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yeah it is a bit of a scam for new people.They think they have a £1000 hd-dvd player and they don't.

If it was me I would be well p'd off at being mis-sold something,or my own stupidity.
    On the hd-dvd front it seems there is a bit of confusion as to what is happening now,oh well we will see.

12. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

13. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The Pioneer simply plays a standard DVD but upscales the output to HD resolutions (as do models from Denon, MArantz, and just about everyone else). Sure, the end result might look pretty good, but these are no match for true HD material as the extra detail isn't there in the first place.

Also, some players offer HDMI connectivity, but don't upscale. Think of HDMI as just a digital scart connection, it does not mean that the player supports these upcoming formats.

I can understand why people do get sucked in though, last month my local Dixons (Boo, Hiss:D ) were doing a Samsung plasma screen with a free HD DVD player, the Samsumg HD-850:nono: , if I didn't think it would be a waste of my time, I would have reported them to trading standards.

14. calibradtm

calibradtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    according to an article in saturday's paper there is only one tv out at the moment that can show a true 100% HD picture,it's a 37'' philips and costs £2800.all the other supposed HD ready tv's will only show a 44% hi def picture :eek:

15. Randell

Randell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    and what paper was that nonsense printed in?

16. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think you'll find that article has already been thoroughly discussed here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318678

On the subject of allthis confusion do you think it is a good time to offload my Samsung HD950 Hi Def DVD player then ? :devil:

Ray

17. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    You havnt realy spent all that money on that DVD player thinking it could play HD-DVD have you ?
    Yes its a very very good DVD player and yes its got HDMI but so have a lot of other DVD players, what it hasnt got it the right type of lazer to play HD-DVD.
    HD-DVD and BlueRay use blue lazers where as standard DVD uses a red lazer.
    What youve got is an admitadly very nice DVD player but its just a standard DVD player that can upscale DVD to 720p or 1080i but it will never be able to play HD-DVD.....if youve been told it can play HD-DVD youve been had ....sorry

Andy

18. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The standard set by EICTA state that a HD-ready TV should have a minimum of 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio, so just because a TV cant show 1080 lines in a native resolution doesnt mean its not a HD screen.

Andy

19. Sunstealer

Sunstealer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. The Pioneer is just a normal DVD player.

A HD-DVD Player will play HD-DVD disks and a Blue Ray player will play Blue Ray disks. As mentioned above these use a different type of laser (Blue) hence the new media types. However, the HD-DVD players that will be hitting the markets (for the first time) later this year, should be able to read normal DVD's (because the laser reads to the same depth as standard DVD Players) but I don't know yet about Blue Ray.

More info on HD-DVD and Blue Ray (aka Betamx vs VHS :( ) can be found here:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.php?articleid=943
    and here about just blue ray:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.php?articleid=840

Mark.

20. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Pioneer User guide (so too their web site) explains that it complies with HDMI ver 1.1 and the following URL http://www.hdmi.org/channel/why_hdmi.asp explains that compliance means that the product is "1080p capable and beyond". Hence the earlier claims.

Since this matter is causing considerable debate, I have now written to both Pioneer and the HDMI organisation (copy to each) and asked them to provide a definitive explanatation. I have informed them that they should provide answers that they are willing for me to publish on this forum. I await their answers with baited breath:)

I feel you may be correct - but hope you are not because a a case for misrepresentation is rather time consuming:rolleyes:

21. Sunstealer

Sunstealer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. RunDMC

RunDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I guess the consumer association with DVD that Toshiba hopes to use to sell HD-DVD may well be double edged sword for them...

23. scotty38

scotty38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nope sorry it won't. What you have is a very good dvd player but not a HD-DVD player.

24. Sunstealer

Sunstealer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is only a DVD player not HD-DVD nor Blue Ray player. So no, it won't play a HD-DVD.

Sorry...

However, I have been thinking of getting the Pioneer DV989. Any comments on whether it is a good player?

Mark.

25. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

26. massimo

massimo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :rotfl:
    Oh man this thread is funny.
    Chevalier, you have a DVD player only. It does not have the correct internal components (ie. blue laser) to read HD-DVD discs.

I really do hope you didn't buy this on the strength of being a HD-DVD player.

All the best,

27. chris.

chris.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

28. Chevalier

Chevalier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

You will see from our earlier communications that I have this DVD player (mine is the DV-989AVi-S). It is a terrific DVD player that has been given top ratings at virtually every review I have seen. I bought mine primarily because of it's reputation with DVD's and the prospect, so my retailer told me, that it would also play (even if via upscaling) HD DVD's. However, as you and other have told me, it will not play HD DVD's. So, if you are only interested in cracking DVD performance then I highly recommend it:thumbsup:

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Hello Chevalier

01. HD-DVD - is a recordable media standard that allows you to store and playback standard and high definition video on a high capacity 12cm optical disc.

02. DVD-Video - is a recordable media playback standard that allows you to store and playback standard definition video on a 12cm optical disc.

03. HDMI - is a video interconnectivity standard.

04. 1080P - is a video signal standard.

05. Video up-conversion - is a method of taking the information stored in a standard definition video format and converting it to match the format of a higher resolution video format.

You can include 02, 03, 04 and 05 in the specification of a player without having an HD-DVD player.

The Pioneer DV-989AVi-S is a DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and SACD player with an on-board video up-converter that Outputs its Digital Video and Audio signals via an HDMI socket - but its NOT an HD-DVD player.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc are incompatible technologies that both use high capacity 12cm optical discs for playback and storage of high definition and standard definition video.

If you want to play back HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc media you'll require an HD-DVD and or Blu-ray Disc compatible player.

If you like Pioneer kit and you want to include a high definition disc player in your system then it looks like you'll be going with Blu-ray Disc as Pioneer are firmly in the Blu-ray camp - see http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/learn/about/chapters/0,,2076_293062877_276332769,00.html

Best regards

Joe

30. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    …What a little can of worms…:) :) :)

So, in May there will be HD-DVDs to buy but no player to see them in…Further adding to this limitation there will be two distinct native HD content formats…Kind of shooting themselves in the proverbial foot right from the start, it seems…

I think I will stick to a regular OPPO OPDV-971H –E for the moment. It is quite inexpensive and it will allow me to see regular content using a DVI / HDMI connection, while I wait for all this to come to more defined contours grounds (pun intended…) in the near future.

Thanks for the replies. Now, if only I could get someone to answer to this thread…:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319014

AK