HD DVD's - Region Coding?

johnny777

Sorry if i'm asking a daft question, but i'm about to venture into the world of HD-DVD.......Toshiba E1 is too hard to resist now due to pricing.

Am I right in assuming that there is currently no region coding in place on HD disks? There's a good selection available from the US that I would like to buy.

TIA.

lfletcher

No region coding on any HD-DVD discs or hardware (for the HD bit). The SD part of the players are region coded.

AES256

Novice Member
Brilliant.....HD-DVD here I come (plus a few orders to DVD Pacific!!).
Pacific are good price-wise. Delivery takes 10 to 14 days. And stay clear of the draconian £18 import tax limit threshold, otherwise those cheap imports won't seem so cheap after all :lesson:

cybergools

cybergools

Used him a few times.Just letting you know there imported.:thumbsup:
my point being can toshiba e1 play all r1 discs(hd DVD) even though these sites say thst you need a r1 player to play region 1 discs?

also just checked dvd pacific..cheap prices but have you seen their shipping charge!!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
my point being can toshiba e1 play all r1 discs(hd DVD) even though these sites say thst you need a r1 player to play region 1 discs?

also just checked dvd pacific..cheap prices but have you seen their shipping charge!!
You seem to be getting confused here slightly. HD-DVD is not region coded. There is no such thing as a R1 HD-DVD.

The Tosh will play HD-DVDs from anywhere in the world. But it will only play SD-DVDs that are region 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom