• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD-DVDs quick reviews

epsonfan

Standard Member
Thought i'd start a thread where you can give a really short review of any HD-DVDs you have.

Rambo 1,2,3 from canal are an excellent picture transfer, its clean and sharp, plenty of detail and all have dts-hd sound.
The menu is very basic and naff, with virtually no extra content, but not too fussed about viewing extras, there is no internet interactivity either.

Other than that the rambo trilogy on HD-DVD is an excellent way to show off your HD setup. Very pleased i bought these. Canal did a good job on them.

Gibonz

Standard Member
Just watched Transformers last night and it blew me away, detail was astonishing!

Anyone recommend any other gems?

Thanks!

DougieB

Have Resident Evil triology and find the PQ and audio v astly superior to the DVD versions, which I also have.

Also have the Omega Man and for an old film they have really done it proud in the PQ.

DougieB

mckee74

Distinguished Member
The German edition of Crank is without doubt the finest movie release I ever saw on HD-DVD.

As for non-movie, has to be Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time. The audio is just incredible.

namuk

Distinguished Member
White Noise 1/2 Not everyones taste but i like them, very good Pq and sound (TrueHD) , Slither is another :) very Witty film.

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Slither is hilarious. Glad to have that one in the collection.

emthree

+1 for Slither. Thanks Namuk for recommending it.:smashin:

Coming to America and Trading Places:

Both very nice transfers and excellent movies to boot.

namuk

Distinguished Member
and you said you did not like the Horror types glad you liked it mate:smashin:, Feast is another funny one:D

And Beerfest now that is a must have in the Hd collection, even though you can get it on Blu now.

emthree

Just picked up Beerfest from e-bay:smashin: Seems fun kind of a movie:smashin: Thanks for the recommendation:thumbsup:

namuk

Distinguished Member
Just picked up Beerfest from e-bay:smashin: Seems fun kind of a movie:smashin: Thanks for the recommendation:thumbsup:

that's lucky as there Quiet rare, got mine for £4.99 at asda ages back . Marco when in the Club is a very funny Scene which we all can relate to, one reason i do not drink Stella anymore :D :(

Edit: bargain £3.99 and that seller has a few.

mckee74

Distinguished Member

DougieB

Just ordered Beerfest (thanks Namuk for that). Have you noticed that some people who are selling on eBay and other sites are really looking for ridiculous prices for HD-DVDs.

DouogieB

namuk

Distinguished Member
the ones you want are always dear:( Trading places i got of emthree a while back, i did pay a bit for Coming to America though, think around £10 not sure, off classifieds here.

tell me what you think about BeerFest classic imop:D.

Last edited:

DougieB

HI Namuk

Just received my copy of Beerfest, very funny film although a bit gross in places.

DougieB:devil:

DougieB

epsonfan

Standard Member
PURPLE RAIN

Just watched PURPLE RAIN for the first time in hd-dvd, its not a bad little film, it captures the eighties pop look well, the picture quality is good, plenty of extras, dolby true hd, its a good allround hd transfer. Very pleased as had never seen the film before and only got it to build up my hd collection

epsonfan

Standard Member
BLUE PLANET IMAX with the dream is alive, some people knock it, but it just reminds me of those public information films you would get shown when you were a kid at school, when they rolled the projector out.
The audio is dolby true hd, and the menu is basic, picture quality is ok, but thats to be expected. But all in all its enjoyable if you like imax nasa programmes. I enjoyed it.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Backdraft

It's got an okay-ish transfer with terrific DD+ 5.1 audio. Decent set of extras, including loads of deleted scenes.

epsonfan

Standard Member
CHRONOS

Hmmmm "WHAT THE HELL!!!", either they were on drugs when they made this or they are trying to give people fits.
By the time it gets to the end of it i thought i was goin to collapse, it uses timelapse photography which is ok on the slow scenic shots, but then they go crazy when they get to the cities, and the music doesn't help either, its very jeane michel jarre.

Sound is hd and the picture quality is top notch, very impressed, menu system is ok too with a spinning 3d globe that tells you were the location are and you also get general info on the location.

I can't explain it properly, it is so weird

epsonfan

Standard Member
AMAZING PLANET

OK, contrains three programs, all very repetative, contains a lot of stock footage so not much improvement on dvd, menu very poor, ok if you like national geographic programmes, but just stick with dvd for this one

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom