1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hd Dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yummy Fur, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, perhaps I should have posted on that thread (which I did contribute to!) rather than start a new one....:blush:

Blu-Ray and the Toshiba/NEC format are both HD DVD formats but are not the same. Blu-Ray has a capacity of approx 27Gb, but does not easily play existing standard DVD's... The Toshiba/NEC format has a capacity of approx 20Gb and is compatible with most DVD's but not CDR's.....

It will be interesting to see how Warner will now react, they (along with Toshiba!) were suggesting a higher compression route to HD DVD. I've also just read (but can't vouch for it's accuracy) that supposedly both the Toshiba/NEC format and Blu-Ray (from Sony) will launch sometime in 2004....

Yummy Fur

4. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have said, that yes they are both Blue LASER technologies, so you are right!

Yummy Fur

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And I should have said that yyes YOU are right as if a man & woman from Halstead Essex marry, but divorce in another county, they are still technically brother and sister!

6. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.... I think! :D

Yummy Fur

7. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. David Hwang

David Hwang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do I smell another format war? :devil:

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont understand why the future lays in a large disc. At the end of the day why dont they move to a model whereby you have abox that does the digital wizardry from a stream of data (ie the sound and video processing, PVR functions, etc). And a standard interface that can accept a stream of data from any media.

Then all you would add would be a drive. That drive could be the choice of the individual, wether it be HD, DVD or Blue laser. So for example if IBM managed to make 50Gb microdrives, instead of a bulky DVD player you would just need a compact flash reader to plug into your AV kit. Formats would be up to the individual and the AV bit would be format independent, the only thin to decide would be the interface and that could simply be an extension to ide, scsi, firewaire or USB so its not reinventing the wheel

I know Im talking HTPC here, but not many people want a monolithic white box with a keyboard in their living room.

A nice Hifi sized box that has all the video functions and the media its using as a seperate box.

12. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner said

Trying to read between the lines from what little information there is, I suspect we are now in the 'threatening & posturing' phase from the rival camps.... I suspect that if all parties can be satisfied (and that means getting sufficent royalties from any new hybrid format) then maybe we will see a single HD DVD format...
    Anything else would be a disaster. Initially even in the US HD DVD is likely to be niche format, there won't be room for two....

I would like to see the highest quality HD DVD format, adopted as the sole format and offering backwards compatibility, but that probably won't happen:rolleyes:

The "launch" of recordable DVD has been a total screw up. An object lesson in how not to launch a format.... let's hope the lesson has been learned. Although that's wishful thinking.

nunew33, I think there will always be a place for recording onto 'standard' media, but your idea of letting the user choose whether to record onto Microdrive, HD etc is good one. So it probably won't happen......:(

Yummy Fur