1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD will only output High Def via HDMI

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rasczak, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Not a big surprise - the machines will have analogue outputs but will downscale to standard definition:

I wouldn't expect anything different from BluRay next year either (including the PS3!). However the fact that there will be a standard def output will be great news for all owners of LCDs/Plasmas/CRTs that are not "high def compatible" as they will still benefit from the improved picture/high bitrate of high def DVD releases.

Source:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8269

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    dvimagic

3. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    who cares, by the time when HD hit the shelves, everyone will be using Divx. same as in the audio world, who cares about DVD-A and SACD when majority using MP3 anyway. these stories are just for a couple of techno freaks around. everything which can't be recorded on blank media, be it Blu ray or HD, or at least will be expensive, shall expect to be another flop technology, HDMI or not.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    you may well have a point.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    There are a variety of ways around it - including several switching boxes that remove HDCP and even convert to component. But I thought I would post as it at least confirms that somepeople will have to buy such converters.

Maybe. I am obviously one of the said techno freaks because I am looking forward to high def and don't have much interest in ripped-DivX files.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I too love to embrace new technologies, yet i am almost alone in my social circles in this.
    Very few people i know are aware of SACD/DVDa, scaling (faux hi-def for now) or even 6.1 all of which i have lived with for at least several years.

My personal thoughts are that given the current HD offerings and demo's in the mainstream outlets (certainly they are running Windows sourced HD material in my local Curry's/Comet) there simply ISN'T the wow factor there to swing many.
    For your average Joe i tend to think that the difference between SD/HD images on modest sized displays will be compared to the difference between prog and non prog scan images, certainly better but not exactly night and day. Your average man on the street is unlikely to understand 720/1080 and will most likely find the improvement in connectivity (hdmi/dvi) over scart to be pretty "impressive" - bless him.

Regards

Steven

7. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    maybe I will not be quite original, but at the other end of the room everything looks like HD. keep the proper distance from your TV and you'll have HD right now :smashin:

8. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey Rasczak would you like to give us some pointers to removal of HDCP ? My aging VW10HT projector doesn't have DVI some I wondering how much I'd need to spend to get a highdef signal over component.

I'm assuming removing HDCP and converting to component is illegal and the feds will be kicking down my door because of it.

Slingshot

9. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Regarding the removal of HDCP via converters etc. is there not a possibility that the manufacturers could 'upgrade' the HDMI software/firmware to combat this as newer machines are released? I hear that there are still improvements being made to the HDMI protocall which effects picture quality and even the copyright protection encoding. I think that HDMI is on to version 1.2 or 2.0 already. I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    If you do a search of the internet/forum you will find links to information on how to avoid HDCP with (relatively) cheap converters. I'm not sure what the forum position is on linking to them though so won't. Needless to say when High Def arrives you won't be the only one and there will be a sub-£100 solution will be available to you.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
  13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    They don't even need to do a firmware update to render the boxes inoperable. All it needs is for a user to play a DVD, or watch a Sky HD broadcast that contains the compromised device secret key on the revocation list and the box will be useless when used with that source. I have seen people say that this cannot be used since it will render legitimate displays that use the same chipset inoperable too but the device secret key is not held at chipset level and could in theory/reality be stored on an individual display by display basis. Certainly my display contains information that is uploaded at the point of manufacturer (MAC address for the D-TV decoder for instance) and I have been told that the device secret key is unique per device HDCP license. I would not be surprised if my HDCP secret device key was uploaded at the same point and if so, a new one could certainly be set if my key was ever revoked. This may explain why some units do not work with some sources in that the compromised key is already held on the revocation list of the source.

-Ian

14. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I can't see any of it will address the problem of piracy. Camcorder bloke can do this for the cost of a cinema ticket and a blank disc. Obviously his customers don't care about the quality or the legality of the obvious fraud they are supporting. The more organised fraudster with the industry contacts to get pre-release material will have the technical and financial support to walk around any barriers that are placed in his way.

I think that the industry would be better served by looking at what needs the pirates are meeting that they are not. If its cost then is it worth their gross profits dropping the ticket/DVD priceto get more customers? If its immediacy then would it be worth setting up a legit movie download site?

I think that a simultaneous worldwide release of a feature at the same time as the webcast with the DVD a matter of days behind and ALL at a much lower price than they currently want is the only answer to piracy. In any case it'll be the accountants and ultimately the public that will decide in the end - not the technicians.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    The pirates will get stuff onto disc - I have no doubt - however the discs can then be blocked from playback by the reactive features in AACS. How quick they will be to ban titles remains to be seen - but as many players are likely to be hooked upto the internet (in order to get extra content) playback could be blocked in a matter of hours after the first report.

16. Kirkman

Kirkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is impossible to add a device at this time to remove HDCP. I know, I tried it with the latest Toshiba HD DVD HDMI output and after 10minutes the screen goes black. Why? The HDCP must handshake with the monitor, if it does not because you added a device that blocks the HDCP the player will not display a picture. The only way to play DVD's is to copy them and remove the HDCP using software available on the internet. IF you do this, you can then play your DVD's through the HDMI or the component output. :devil:

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My boxes seem fine at removing HDCP.

18. lienly

lienly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where can I buy that kind of HDCP remover?
    maybe it can solve my Onkyo 905 with Tosh 62DLP HDMI handshake problem...:oops: