Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HD-DVD: What format?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by 00fjackson, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think HD-DVD will be stored as? I know that it can be 1080i (50Hz) or 1080p (25Hz), just as SD-DVD can be interlaced or progressive, yet all DVDs are interlaced.

The advantage of interlaced is that all TVs will be able to display it without work from the player, yet some players can deinterlace it and output it as 50Hz progressive to compatible displays. (Not many HDTVs will be able to display or accept 1080p at first, just as not many TVs were progressive when DVD came out.)

If it were stored as progressive 25Hz the player would have to interlace it for non-progressive sets or double to frequency to 50Hz for progressive sets. Now this seems like more work to me and added expense. On the other hand as every player would have to do this, there would be no such think as 'expensive progressive players', a bonus for us who would want that. (But not so good for the manufacturers trying to rip us off!)

I would like to know your views on this.
    :thumbsup:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    European HD DVDs of film-based material will probably be stored as 1080p25 - video based material will probably be 1080i50 or 720p50. I'm sure the players will allow you to select a suitable output for your display from a player menu.

Steve

3. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you really think that HD DVDs will be in 1080p/i? I mean, don't most current HD TVs (LCD, HD Plasma, Projectors) have around 720 horizontal lines? Almost nobody would have anything that could fully support (without scaling) 1080 lines, right? Wouldn't 720p make more sense? :rolleyes:
    When will the official info be released?
    Indy

4. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plenty of TVs (CRT, LCD, Plasma and projectors) have native 1080x1920 resolution. However there are only about four displays with 1080p at the moment but it is bound to become more common. This is why I suspect that the discs will be encoded in 1080i 50Hz, for minimum conversion. (At first anyway) :)

5. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the official info I think that the HD-DVD spec allows 1080i or p but it will be up to the studios to chose how to encode the discs. To play 1080p on a display which will not accept 25Hz input means that the player must double the signal and if that is not mandatory in the player spec then they will be unwilling to encode in a format not viewable on all HDTVs. This is what happend with SD-DVD.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    Is there a standard in either bluray or HD-DVD camps for 1080p/24?

Surely with all the horsepower, it would be (relatively) simple for the player to output it at whatever preferred format, be it 720p, 1080i/50/60, 1080p/50/60/72?

It does seem a little odd that we'll have 1920x1080 pixels (assuming progressive flags), but we'll still be stuck with 3:2 pulldown or high pitched PAL movies.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Richard,

There certainly is for Blu-ray. Check out this pdf file of the latest (March '05) specs on page 17 of 35. I expect HD DVD to have similar specs to Blu-ray regarding 1080p.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/2b_bdrom_audiovisualapplication_0305-12955.pdf

I'm sure you are right. Bring it on, I say!

A nice 3:3 pulldown 72 or 75Hz picture would look rather nice on a next-gen Qualia. Mmmm... :smashin:

Steve