Not open for further replies.
D

david155

Hi

Just want to know:

HD DVD vs Blu Ray - Which is better?

Badger0-0

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

What a question to ask, that's like asking "which came first, the chick..........." :D You get the idea.

I'd suggest you trawl through the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray threads and make your own mind up.

My own personal answer is neither, for picture quality.
Blu seems to have the ability to offer more space on a disc.
HD-DVD hardware is miles cheaper, on the whole.
But then Warner is about to go Blu only.
I could go on, but I've been thinking about going for one format or the other for a long while and can't make my mind up :)

Sonic67

Banned
Price wise? Film wise? Technology wise? Artistically? (At present - get a PS3 :D)

D

david155

yeah i do know quite a bit about the format - but i just wanted people's comments

i'm totally backing blu ray!!!

Badger0-0

yeah i do know quite a bit about the format - but i just wanted people's comments

i'm totally backing blu ray!!!
:mad: Newbies aren't supposed to know anything ;)

Ah well, it always stirs up a good debate :rolleyes:

Well done for having us at it though :smashin:

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
The higher quality image comes from HD DVD without question.

and YES I do have a system that clearly shows this.....

I can run resolutions TWICE current Hi def.

It is clear to see that Sony have built their players and the format so things can be added and older units need to be replaced.

HD DVD from the start pretty much had all items available.

When ever possible I will play HD DVD.

I have over 200 HD DVD and about 70 Blur Ray.

Badger0-0

Yep, typical sony. But then I openly admit to being a Sony hater.
Mind you, I hate MS too :confused:

Blur Ray

That never fails to make me laugh :rotfl:

D

david155

1 - there are no Tvs that support double 1080p
2 - only some HD DVDs are in 1080p
3 - you have to stupid to think that hd dvd is technically better - look at the facts!
4 - why would you spend £4000 ($8000) on HD DVDs when there are only two companies supporting it - not to mention one of them was bribed!

5 - how have Sony built machines that need to be replaced? - eg. I know it's not a standalone blu ray player but the PS3 can have updates!

Badger0-0

3 - you have to stupid to think that hd dvd is technically better - look at the facts!
4 - why would you spend £4000 ($8000) on HD DVDs when there are only two companies supporting it - not to mention one of them was bribed!

5 - how have Sony built machines that need to be replaced? - eg. I know it's not a standalone blu ray player but the PS3 can have updates!

Who mentioned TVs?

Mr Mad know his onions mate and I'm sure he'll explain tomorrow :rolleyes: :)

lcd-fanatic

Banned

I suggest you go and re-educate yourself. For starters monitors can display twice the resolution of 1080p and Sony et al released Blu Ray players of a profile which wasn't upgradeable through firmware updates. Currently the PS3 and a few Blu Ray players are firmware 1.1 with blu ray players of profile 2.0 soon to be released. The facts mean nothing if the technology isn't fully utilised, even if HDDVD as a format dies it doesn't mean that his HDDVDs will all of a sudden stop working. It will take years for the studios to re-release them on Blu Ray if they were to switch sides.

McFaber

$ony & Blu-ray for world domination....don't make laugh....:rotfl:

If you want a definitive answer on who's better right now, I'd say HD-DVD, purely because it's the more finished article,.... Blu-ray can't even get their profiles(advanced features) sorted out yet and it's looking like they won't for a good while yet.

D

david155

i know that computer monitors can display larger resolutions - but i assumed he was talking about tvs, plus all the blu ray players i have seen can be updated.

I still don't see how it is better with on two companies supporting it - oh well, it's all just personal preference at the end of the day!

ps. lcd_fanatic - i'm not stupid, of course they will still work even if there not being made anymore.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I am, and have been for some time, a staunch HD-DVD format supporter as in my opinion it clearly is the better format for the end user.

But after Friday's announcement. And also from reading the minutes from Toshiba's CES conference presentation I think it would be a mistake right at the moment to buy into HD-DVD (and I say that with a huge lump in my throat :( ).

If we were to flash back to a week ago and I was to answer your question I would say if you are in the US then Blu-Ray would be the better bet. But if you were in Europe or Australia then HD-DVD.

Largely as Sony seems to be coveting the Americans and largely ignoring the Europeans. Plus people in the US don't really need to worry about region coding at all (as while almost all new releases in the US are region coded to prevent BD-B machines from playing them, this doesn't seem to largely be the case the other way around).

It also seems clear that there will be numerous titles down the line that are released region coded in the US. That do not ever see the light of day in Europe. (How many movies have been released in the US on DVD and never once released here. If you check there are quite a lot).

If you are wanting to know which player to buy into the moment I would personally say IMHO to wait until mid year until the Blu-Ray v2.0 players are released. Or until the same time for the 65nm GPU is in the PS3 making it a much cooler and quieter runner.

Or you could buy either a computer BD-Rom or Xbox360 External HD-DVD drive (which works on your PC's USB port) to tide yourself over until the Blu-Ray players specs, and knowledge of Toshiba's intentions, have been finalized. If so you could then also get a certain sly fox onto your PC and then not even worry about region coding and just enjoy movies.

Badger0-0

a certain sly fox Eh??? (Ahem)

Interesting :smashin:

I thought Fox were Blu only :rolleyes:

McFaber

I wonder if Blu-ray will turn out just for the American market and leave HD-DVD for the rest of us?

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member

Badger0-0

I know exactly what you meant :rolleyes:
Just trying to divert the thread back on track a little ;)

Having said that, can USB keep up or do you have to copy over first?

Max N

Ignore Mad Mr H, there is no difference between the two formats in picture or sound quality.
Make your choice based on which one has more films you want to watch. Then factor in the Warners announcement and the fact that people are bailing out of HD-DVD as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett