HD-DVD Update with HC1E & HC3 & Tosh HD-E1

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by laser, Dec 28, 2006.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    As promised some initial findings from the converting of HDV footage from a HC1E and HC3 to HD-DVD.

1. Having converted 50Hz 1440x1080i footage to a 1920x1080i/60Hz MPEG2 file and dumping onto DVD-R, the Toshiba HD-E1 does not recognise the file and displays an error message.

2. Creating a HVDVD_TS folder using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 Plus and the 1920x1080i/60Hz MPEG2 file and burning to DVD-R is still not recognised. The player states DVD format is unrecognised.

Very disappointing. I'm going to cehck I've done nothing incorrectly, but it would appear you can't create a mini HD-DVD on a DVD-R, even when using a supported file format.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Sony is not having a good year (PS3, BD, AVHCD (no editing support in sight) HDV: Limiting output options..so Far:rolleyes: ...the list goes on

Im almost certain BD will not have a miniBD on DVD equivalent despite 2/3rds of all HDV camcorders coming from Sony

3. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    must be something you're doing wrong, I've had no problem with 1920x1080 60i material authored to HD-DVD working on a standalone player

have you tried importing the HDV into ULead and letting that convert it?

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811

Where are your files originally from? , And which Player did you use them on?

Also is it possible that specific standalone HD DVD player is being fussy?

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The files where converted to HD-DVD using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 Plus and then played in a UK Spec Toshiba HD-E1. I've tried a DVD-R/RW and a DVD+RW as well.

The files where originally captured from a HC1E camcorder and converted to a .mpg file in Liquid 7.

I'm presently re-testing, using some instructions from the avsforums which were used to do the same thing on a Tosh HD-XA1. I'll report back if I'm successful.

6. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've finally got a mini HD-DVD to work by burning the HVDVD_TS folder to a DVD-R using the UDF 2.5 file format.

However the playback sucks. The footage stutters and there is no sound.

I tried encoding the file at 1440 and 1920 x 1080i/60Hz but the stuttering always occurs and makes the footage unwatchable.

I also tried using LPCM, MP3 and DD 2 Channel for the sound, but nothing is heard.

As expected the HD-E1 did not recognise the 50Hz footage from a mini HD-DVD.

7. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Figured out the sound problem. The HD-E1 must have its audio option switched to LPCM even if the soundtrack is DD and the player is connected by optical cable. Strange but it works :confused:

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Great...:smashin:

Audio now works but does video still stutter? Or was that related to audio?

So.. you created a HVDVD _TS folder onto your HDD and then copied this to a DVD-R using UDF 2.5 file format to create this mini HD DVD as the directly authored mini HD DVD didnt work?

9. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The video still stutters badly. It's similar to what is seen on a PC if you have an underpowered graphics card. The bitrate was 20 Mb/s, slightly less than the original M2V file which is 25 Mb/s.

The process is as follows:

1. Capture the raw M2V in your favourite video editing software from the camcorder and make any required edits.

2. Convert the 50Hz footage to a 60Hz (1920 or 1440 x 1080i) MPG file.

3. Using Ulead Movie Factory 5 Plus, import the MPG file and create the HVDVD_TS folder, ensuring the project is set for NTSC 29.97 fps.

4. Take the HVDVD_TS folder and burn to a DVD-R or DVD-RW using Nero, ensuring the DVD is burnt using UDF 2.5 and the xbox compatibility option is selected.

5. Pop the mini HD-DVD into the HD-DVD player and ensure the audio option is selected to LPCM.

Hey presto, stuttering high def footage with sound :eek:

I can only presume at this stage the HD-E1 is struggling to play the high bitrate files. It would be useful if someone else with a HD-E1 could verify my findings.

The next step maybe to reduce the bitrate but this detracts from the whole point of using high def footage.

10. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    DVD+RW's and DVD-RW's are a definate no no. I've tried using a DVD-R instead of rewritable's and the stuttering is greatly reduced but still occurs.

Therefore I'm wondering if the media has a lot to do with the problems I'm encountering.

A couple of people have reported the same problem on avsforum on the US equavalent of the HD-E1.

I only have two kinds of DVD-R but I will experiment with the other brand and see if there is any improvement.

The sound was also better using a DVD-R i.e. if didn't break up and was constant even though the picture stuttered a little.

11. britco

britco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    xbox 360 plays wmv-hd files perfectly burned to a dvd-r ..converted footage from my sony hc3 & the results are stunning

12. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Do you not get the 1:1 bug? It doesn't realise that the pixels are 1.33:1 and displays them as 1:1, so you get black bars at the sides?

What do you use to convert to wmv-hd?

13. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    After much experimentation I now believe the 25pfs to 29.97fps is causing the jerkiness on the HD-E1, which I guess is not surprising.

I'm therefore going to wait, and hope that Toshiba release a 50Hz firmware update for the HD-E1. However, after speaking to Toshiba yesterday its not clear if the 50Hz fix will be made available until their next generation HD-DVD player.

14. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does this mean HD footage shot on HC3 will not be compatible with HD-DVD or Blu-ray??? How will we edit / show them later. for now they can stay on DV tape, but if they cannot be used later...seems pointless??!!

Or will HD-DVD/BD become more "compatible"?

I've recently bought a HC3...but now worried:eek:

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    For now, it seems that way. As Sony is a force behind both Blu-Ray and HDV I am optimistic that Blu-Ray will support HDV at least eventually.
    With HD-DVD, the issue with the current players is lack of 50hz support, hopefully that will change as well.

16. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I keep my edits on my HDD in HDV format, I will be using Roxio DVDit Pro HD to create my Blu-ray discs, and either the software can convert to Blu-ray legal format or I will use canopus Pro coder to do it

17. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    HD-DVD will support 50Hz at some point in the future and distributors such as the BBC will probably release titles like the Blue Planet and Planet Earth in 50Hz, so it is likely support will be available in Europe, at some point, but you may have to wait for a 2nd gen player.

I think the best bet at the moment for playing HDV material is a media player which can be bought for around £200 to £250.

I would also imagine that Blueray will support HDV in a future product, but again, you might have to wait for a 2nd or 3rd gen product.

Interestingly the UK will not get the 1st Gen Sony BD player as it mainly considered to be poor i.e. limited functionality supporting the new audio codecs, so fingers crossed we might get a functionally better BD player when the UK does eventually get a Sony BD player. However no one knows when this will happen.

In hindsight I wish I'd bought a US HC1E now and I'd have none of the problems.