HD DVD Selling More Units, Blu-ray Earning More Revenue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DrPepper, Aug 18, 2006.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    The data they have released isn't really that helpful for either format really. TBH it's not surprising the Toshiba A1 has sold more units - it's cheaper. And it's not surprising the Samsung did well in it's first 6 weeks of release.

It would have much better if they had released total figures of sales to date and an idea of where disc sales where heading.

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

A response from AVS -

"People should read the original articles that were summarized at highdefdigest. Their summary is pitiful.

Concerning sales stats for the 6 weeks after the Samsung was launched, here is what the original article http://www.videostoremag.com/news/h...article_ID=9539 stated:

"The report also compared the two formats’ performance during a short time they have both been available, the six weeks ended July 29.

Based on that time frame, Blu-ray led the next-generation market with a 54% share of hardware units sold and a 69% revenue share, according to NPD data.

Blu-ray outsold HD DVD the first half of those six weeks, the beginning of its launch to market. But HD DVD outsold Blu-ray for the last three weeks."

The last paragraph and especially the last sentence pretty much says it all... "

AVI

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    and how many Samsungs were returned. I remember seeing 75% as the figure quoted. I think it might have been a poll.

5. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Quite happy with mine .. :thumbsup:

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    But most of the AVS purchasers were not and returned them. BB even changed thir policy on returns I believe because of this one player had so many players returned.

7. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    There are lies, damned lies and statistics - Mark Twain

Take all the figures you read with a pinch of salt :)

8. 56up

56up
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Along with a load of others I suspect that I am not alone in waiting to see which system will prevail (or if a combined unit becomes a reality).
    A quick look at history shows I think what will happen. We all remember the VHS vs Betamaz feraggo and which one won? The cheaper!!
    Price will drive this competition and I still think HD DVD will out. Most people do not understand the technology and they will buy the cheapest model in Argos, and then the disks.
    I work part time for a major electical retailer and people still buy TVs (especially flat panel models) becsause they like the frame!! Quality has zero to do with it!!

9. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I have looked over at AVS, man is that place scary :eek: I am surprised that a lot of them have time to pull BD down and watch any Movies at all, as all they seem to do is whinge and whine and post on the Forums all day long. I have a BD player, quite happy with the HD content it provides and look forward to many more releases from many studios in the future.

If you are thinking of buying into Blu-ray, give this forum a wide berth. :thumbsdow

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    AVS Forums is probably the best place on the internet to get advice/information on home cinema products. It is frequented by industry insiders, a myraid of experts, retailers and many of the world's keenest AV enthusiasts. For the likes of us it is one of the internet's most useful resources. :lesson:

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Why? As probably the worlds largest and most popular forum, it say some things about BD that some don't want said. If you spend a little more time there you will every part of the forums gives pros and cons, this is what forums do. There is allot of very valuable infomation there, unfortunately for the BDA much is none too flattering atm, but it does represent a pretty accurate picture.

12. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Based on my own experience with both HD-DVD and BD, I find most of the comments unfair and very HD-DVD biased. This is my own opinion, and something of which I am entitled too.

There is also an heavy feeling of 'Fanboyism' over there, which must be an American thing.

Let your own eyes and ears be the judge, not someone else's :nono:

13. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Do I have to venture outside of the HD Section of the AVS Forums to find what you have posted above as I seem to be missing it where I am looking :(

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    Nope. The BluRay and HD DVD areas are all you need. :smashin:

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Yes but if you read a bit further here you will find that I am one of the few people here who HAS bothered to run HD DVD, BD and Dtheatre next to each with some friends so I have opinions firsthand as well, however this thread is not about what you (or I think), it was about the revenue, some stats reported and basically people trying to summarize how the two new formats are doing. The AVS forums in this area are probably the best single source of info but also well worth looking at the Amazon stats as well, sumarized in the 'DVDWARS' site.

One persons fanboyism is another honest persons appraisal, having seen all the pre recorded HD formats I am left in little doubt that at least one is still underperforming. :rolleyes: But hey I only had 8 different HD 'players' here last weekend covering all the formats available (except a MUSE) :rolleyes:, most being mine.

16. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Not really that interested in Amazon stats, or visiting DVDWARS or whatever it is called. I do actually like to watch Movies and enjoy this experience greatly. I agree, this is not the place to post articles relating to the merits of however many HD formats we have looked at 'Side by Side', and is about the revenue and how the both formats are doing.

I actually do own both, and to my eyes and ears, they are doing fine. Each has advantages / disadvantages, and at the end of the day, I can now chose whichever film I want on whichever format I own. Not have to take part in some 'Pointless' polls to get X Studio to release X Film on X Disc. :mad:

In my position, what is the worst that can happen? One will die, the other will thrive. Still, I will not have missed out and limited my Movie Purchasing to one format or the other :smashin:

At the end of the day, it is only money :thumbsup:

17. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Adrian, I don't have either format yet, so am unable to make the judgement for myself and, like many others in my position, I've been reading up here and at avsforums. Whilst it goes against your recommendation, could I possibly ask you for a brief opinion of which is the better format, from what you've seen so far..? Cheers.

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why :confused: I think it just shows that the HD-DVD format is delivering what it promised and the BD is not :lesson:

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    BD would try and fob us off with 25Gb mpeg2 discs if it weren't for HD-DVD.

If BD wins out and kills off HD-DVD that's precisely what the consumer is going to get stuck with even if BD actually manage to bring 50Gb discs to market in the short term ( which I have severe doubts over).

They simply won't bother with the more expensive 50Gb option when they no longer have competition, and we'll get stuck with something little better than broadcast HD for the forseeable future.

There is only one format that is attempting to bring a quality high definition release format to the consumer and it's certainly not BD.

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    Exactly. There are a few with rose-tinted specs who think that we'll see dual and quad layer discs replace single layer discs as a matter of course. We'll we won't see BD100 as that is PC only - it's not compatible with the BD-V spec even if the tech does escape the labs (it never did for DVD). And BD25 is almost certain to become the norm due to the problems (and cost) associated with BD50.

I should imagine as BD adopts VC1 as the codec of choice and more studios go 'dual' format we'll see companies prepare a single VC1 version for BD25/HD DVD30 release. The extra space on the HD DVD would nicely allow an additional soundtrack or extras - given how the BluRay camp has harped on about it's capacity advantage then I have to say that would be quite amusing :)

21. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117

BD delivers fine for my needs and compliments my HD-DVD player perfectly. I really perhaps should sit there looking for Edge Enhancing, Grain, Insert any other anomoly you can think of in here... and stop watching Movies. I may fit in around here a little better then :D

If you look for imperfections, you will find them. This applies to anything.

I own 16 HD-DVD movies, and 5 BD Discs. Good and bad on both sides, and I mean BOTH sides. Perhaps it is because of Sony bigging up Blu-ray in the first place, I am not sure, but I sure has hell cannot understand why most people seem to go on the defensive and slag off BD at any given opportunity.

Most interesting is that nearly all examples of BD criticism will come from an HD-DVD owner, not both. Often basing their comments on what they have read, or someone else had told them rather than what they have seen. You only have to look at recent reviews for the BD movie, RV. Some say it is the best picture seen yet on BD, then another will post it is another poor example of BD underperforming. Someone is lying :mad:

I am not sure of the outcome of this so called 'Format War' but I am sure of one thing that will swing it, studio support. I have a friend who is mostly ignorant of HD technologies and is very much 'Joe Average'.

Shown him both BD and HD-DVD last night and he mentioned that his brother has told him not too bother with BD because it is inferior to HD-DVD.

He watched a little of both, said cannot see what all the fuss is about, BD looks fine. His choice of HD Format in the near future, BD. Why? He stated that he had read and also heard that all (bar one) of the major Hollywood Studios were releasing on BD, as oppose to HD-DVD.

That is enough for him to purchase BD over HD-DVD and is only based on 1 person I know.

Time will tell, but until then. Sit back, relax and watch some Movies. You never know, you may enjoy it :devil:

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    So maybe you should have stuck with VHS. From your own words you hardly seem to be a discerning viewer , you could have saved some money.

I don't go around explaining to people that they must own an impressive home cinema kit and understand the minutiae of 21st century consumer video otherwise they are some sort of lesser mortal.

However I take offence at the suggestion that people who are interested in these issues are being overly analytical especially by someone who professes to have little interest in such things ...beyond buying the very latest formats before they are available in this country of course.

Its a somewhat simplistic argument to just denounce what other people are saying just because your own quality threshold is possibly a bit on the low side.

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not discounting BD and i would welcome it and certainly buy into if it does deliver the goods ;)

I just think the above statement is certainly not called for and shows how Arrogant you are in you're opinion :thumbsdow

24. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Ignorant, who knows, maybe. Arrogant, for my opinion?

It is a good job I do not post such stupid replies to every 'oohhh look, another bad BD transfer' post or anti Sony / BD post I come across. I would have to give up my full time Job. Cannot do that, affords me the little luxuries in life such as HD-DVD and BD. Must go, Films to watch.. (Notice watch, not pull apart)

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

26. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I think I know where Adrian is going with his view on AVS. Although it is full of lots of very informed people, the 2 Blu Ray forums tend to be full of HD-DVD trolls wishing to attack the format at every possible moment. Someone asks when this player comes out, there is bound to be a post "don't bother buy HD-DVD", not a very helpful comment. Although you get some of this in the HD-DVD forums its not to the same degree.

Having just returned from the US, neither format tends to be widely publicised. I only found discs in Best Buy and Circuit City of which Circuit city had the Samsung player showing Ultraviolet and most Blu Ray discs for purchase. HD-DVD was nearby, but had no demo and only the older films on sale. Best Buy wasn't much better, once again the Samsung player playing a clip disc and there were a few discs for sale. They had all of the HD-DVD releases, but once again they weren't that easy to find and had no advertising to promote what they were. In a city the size of Chicago, I find that pretty poor. I was actively looking for it, how is joe public supposed to stumble across it?

To take this thread back on topic, why would the Blu Ray supporting companies decide to release titles on HD-DVD if Blu Ray is making them more money? Surely thats all they care about, not that HD-DVD seems to have the backing of the HD connoisseur.

With reference to Blu Ray being inferior, surely this is down to the studios and not the format itself. Sony have done a pretty poor job with their releases, Lions Gate similar, but the Warner releases aren't poor. Assuming Paramount use VC-1, then they are likely to be identical (minus a DD+ soundtrack) to HD-DVD. Disney are highly rumoured to be using VC-1, and also wont release their bigger titles until BD50 is a reality (so about 2009 then :D ). Fox were pretty decent when it came to DVHS, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt that they might put out decent releases with the best codec.

Isn't it a case of Sony doing a poor job and the other studios making them look bad? It will be interesting to see if Fox do anything about Robocop after it took such a berating for being awful.

27. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    That was my point Ifletcher, very scary place is that AVS Forum.

To be called Arrogant for that being my opinion, very offended to be honest :thumbsdow Slightly proves my point with regards to how people will defend things they read, without actually seeing the product for themselves, even if that means being abusive and rude :mad:

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,119
    Well for one thing so they can make more money - with PS3 on one side and Xbox 360 and cheap players on another it's fairly clear there are going to be significant numbers in each camp. It therefore makes perfect sense for these companies to dual release on HD DVD and BluRay and reap the benefits from sales to both camps. Warner and Paramount have already shown this.

As BluRay adopts VC1 as it's codec of choice it makes even more sense - a sub-25GB presentation is prepared and then simply authored onto BD25 and HD DVD30. Why miss out on sales - especially now HD DVD has achieved so-called critical mass which ensures their is financial justification for studios to have an HD DVD office.

You won't get any argument there at all. Nobody doubts that BluRay can be as good as HD DVD. The fact is that at present though it's not. It's all very well the BluRay camp making impressive noises and so forth but I think what we all want to see is a little more action and a little less in the way of hot air. And that opinion is not made from reading articles here or on AVS. It's from the demo I had of the Samsung player at Circuit City plus a good hands on at several indies.

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    But the majority of the posters who have contributed to this thread since you started contributing to it HAVE seen BD! If you ask them I think you actually find them supportive of BD but less happy with the pre release stuff we have been offered so far. Give it 6 months and it may be a very different story. None of the major player have even released yet!

Re AVS It is a place I find frustrating and some people really wind me so I don't post much there, yes there are trolls in the BD forum but no more or less than in the HD DVD forum on the site. Within that however there are some good contributions that should not be ignored. It is no different to this site in this respect.

30. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hello Nic,

Appreciate the answer, much appreciated and have fully taken on board what you are saying. :thumbsup:

It would be such a crying shame if we as Home Cinema buffs were put off buying Movies or into a Format just because of some 'Trolls' as you quite affectionately call them :D