1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD/DVD recorder drive access? Digital Tuners and Wireless?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Smalltime, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Smalltime

Smalltime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on buying a HD/DVD recorder this year, depending on what comes along, but got my eye on the Sony RDR-HX910. Does anyone know if you can access the drives on these kind of machines? I know they come with ilink (firewire) connections so in theory you should be able to mount the drives when connected to a PC (or Mac in my case). It's just that it'd be nice to be able to just quickly back up a load of stuff, rather than having to backup to DVD and if possible put downloaded files onto the drive for playback on your main TV. Is any of this possible? Even with modifications (surely to some extent, after all it is just a harddrive at the root of it!?)? Or am I just dreaming?
    Everyone's going on about these devices HAVING to have twin digital tuners, I agree, but a wireless connection to double it up as a kind of Media Centre is equally crucial in my opinion. These companies are supposed to be at the forefront of technology (Philips bang on about their 'connected planet') yet when all this technology exists and works smoothly (and has done for some time), why not throw it all in one box!? I'd pay over the odds for something that did everything, if only to cut down on the cables hell that exists in my living room.