HD-DVD Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by d3moliti0n, Jun 14, 2009.

1. d3moliti0n

d3moliti0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I bought my HD-DVD player (the Xbox 360 addon) along with 5 films back in February/March of this year. I haven't actually got round to watching all 5 of the films (along with a bunch of others I've bought since then for the HD-DVD format).

Basically, one of those 5 original films was Blade Runner: The Final Cut (at least I think that's what it's called, the two-disc version) and I decided I would watch it recently but when I tried to play it the disc keeps skipping and I notice there are some scratches on the disc (which can only been when the light shines on them, so not very noticeable). I know it's been like 4 or 5 months since the purchase so there's no way to return/exchange it so is there any way to fix the disc? Would taking it to Gamestation and using the disc cleaner there make it actually work properly again?

Thanks for your help.

2. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    Have you tried cleaning the disc ?

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Demolition,

If you still have the purchase receipt, then you should still be able to take the faulty disc back to the place you bought it from, and exchange it for a new, undamaged copy.

If the disc was sealed in cellophane/plastic, have you still got that, as that will help show that you've only just recently opened it, and not had the disc or used it, over the past few months.

Alternatively, you could try cleaning the disc, via some Gamestation and most Blockbuster stores. However, I'd do my best to exchange it instead, if you can.

Pooch

4. elbowdan

elbowdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Definitely get an exchange if you can.

Failing that, check your other discs to see if they are scratched in a similar or worse way and play them through to see if they freeze or break up.

Some HD DVD's are prone to drop-outs etc because they were made that way and pretty much all would suffer exactly the same problems. Combo discs were common examples, some, not all.
    Some even claim that firmware updates corrected issues with the machine playback on these discs but I'm not sure that is even possible on the Xbox add-on.

Truthfully I've never heard of Blade Runner on HD DVD having issues so it may as well be the scratches. I had a sealed copy of Blades of Glory but the middle bit of the case that holds the disc in was broken and there were a couple of very small but distinctive marks made from where the disc was rattling about and sure enough towards the end of the film everything went pear shaped.