HD DVD Price Cut

RidleyDeckard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Probably drop to £99 even though you can find it at that price or cheaper already

I can't see a €20 drop equating to a £30 drop in the UK, I'd think it would more likely be £109.99 or £115.99, but I'm hoping that they throw in some free DVDs, either that or I'm going to get one when I go over to the US later in the year and have the 5 free DVD shipped to someone over there.

So is the thing actually worth buying in the first place? The impression I get from the HD-DVD forum is that it's not exactly impressive and that the sound sucks?

I've never seen one in action but I've always been put off by the comments in the forum.

Apparently the sound used to suck, but an update sorted that out. By all accounts, for the price, very good value.

So is the thing actually worth buying in the first place?
Now that you can buy a HDVDRom drive for around the same money, if you have a suitable PC, then I'd buy the HDDVDRom drive instead. If you don't have a suitable PC then the addon is a great alternative to a standalone. Better if you are an American and can get 8 free movies from Amazon.

yea im thinking of getting 1 but is hd dvd gonna be around for a wile ? ive been told its gonna die soon ...

yea im thinking of getting 1 but is hd dvd gonna be around for a wile ? ive been told its gonna die soon ...

You should read the hd-dvd forums... HD DVD recently had a huge shot in the arm... it will most definately be around for a while...

I can't see a €20 drop equating to a £30 drop in the UK, I'd think it would more likely be £109.99 or £115.99, but I'm hoping that they throw in some free DVDs, either that or I'm going to get one when I go over to the US later in the year and have the 5 free DVD shipped to someone over there.

I think it would be better if they gave away free HD-DVD's rather then DVD's. After all it is an HD-DVD drive. ;) :D

I'd definitely recommend this - I've got 15 odd HD-DVDs now and the difference in picture quality is very noticeable. It may not be my HD-DVD player forever, but it'll tide me over until a decent, affordable dual-format player comes on the market. From that point of view, it's not much of a gamble really.

I'd definitely recommend this - I've got 15 odd HD-DVDs now and the difference in picture quality is very noticeable. It may not be my HD-DVD player forever, but it'll tide me over until a decent, affordable dual-format player comes on the market. From that point of view, it's not much of a gamble really.

I agree wholeheartedly with Munkey Boy, The Add-on is an ideal way to get into the HD film game, especially when can buy films online from Amazon US for around £15.00.

I agree wholeheartedly with Munkey Boy, The Add-on is an ideal way to get into the HD film game, especially when can buy films online from Amazon US for around £15.00.

I agree, £99 isn't a kings ransom and the HD-DVD drive is excellent value for money, you would be mad to consider buying a standalone deck at the moment, which I'm only going to consider when a dual format deck is released.

The sound issue was sorted out with an update, and trust me it's ear poppingly great. A good test of this is the Superman Returns disc, when Krypton blows up at the beginning, make sure you have you subwoofer maxed out, and prepare to be blown away!

My only complaint about HD DVD is the rip off prices on the high street (esp when you compare with Play.com etc) and the quality of the releases haven't been that great.

Lots of HDDVD exclusive releases like Heroes and Matrix Trilogy plus some big studios have signed on to exclusively release on HDDVD should mean HDDVD will be around for a while.

There has been an air of Bluray winning the HD war but I think that what BD fans have won is the war to convince people they have won the war before the war is won. For £250ish you can bung a BDRom and HDDVDRom drive into a PC and be dual format. :clap:

"The war" has just been a marketing scam to ingnite interest in the format. HD DVD and Blu ray in the long term could easily co-exist, in any case none of it will be relevant when dual format players become the norm.

"The war" has just been a marketing scam to ingnite interest in the format. HD DVD and Blu ray in the long term could easily co-exist, in any case none of it will be relevant when dual format players become the norm.
It's an interesting point of view, but from my experience many people have held off buying into HD until the "war" is over - one possible outcome being affordable dual-format players. Seems a bizarre strategy if it is like you say...

Didn't someone come up with dual format disks too? HD one side, BR the other.
It means you don't get a nice picture on the disk, but helps keep both formats current.

My only complaint about HD DVD is the rip off prices on the high street (esp when you compare with Play.com etc) and the quality of the releases haven't been that great.

I know the prices are crazy i went into woolworths to see if they had started to sell hd-dvd's, well i found some they wanted £29.99 for Blades of Glory i soon left the shop, its the same with blueray my dad came back from shopping and i noticed he had bought a blueray movie (Apocalypto) i asked how much did he pay and he said £25:rolleyes:

It being £100 isn't that cheap, seeing as stand alone players can be had for £180. I personally would rather pay more for the stand alone.

I very nearly bought one at the same time as I bought my console. I could have got it for £69.99, part of a deal, but decided against it. I'd already spent a small fortune on the console (Elite) a couple of games and an extra pad. Furthermore, I don't have an HD TV.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready for HD there'll be better products at reasonable prices anyway. :rolleyes:

It being £100 isn't that cheap, seeing as stand alone players can be had for £180. I personally would rather pay more for the stand alone.
I didn't realise they were that cheap now! Last time I looked they were up around £300 for the most basic of players.

I know the prices are crazy i went into woolworths to see if they had started to sell hd-dvd's, well i found some they wanted £29.99 for Blades of Glory i soon left the shop, its the same with blueray my dad came back from shopping and i noticed he had bought a blueray movie (Apocalypto) i asked how much did he pay and he said £25:rolleyes:

Tesco Extra, well some of them, have started selling BluRay and HD-DVD discs; prices range from £14 to £20 or so.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom