1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scotty Boy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=34085

Check out all the HD DVD releases that have been announced. Nice, hey?

But anyway, the point of this was to ask you what you think the HD DVD Players will run through. Will it just be HDMI, or is there a possibility of it being DVI? As I can get a DVD input for my plasma, just not an HDMI.

Cheers

Scott

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I think you'll be ok with DVI, so long as it's HDCP compatible. Personally I'm hoping that they don't follow Sky's example, and allow a hi-def signal to be sent via component. I have an lcd with 2 component, but neither dvi or hdmi. Though frankly, I'm expecting it to be via digital connection only. :rolleyes:

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No chance whatsoever of DVI, or at least DVI without HDCP, which is HDMI for all intents and purposes.

Also, from the report I read these are for US only, and with region coding going to be considerably harder to overcome .. AACS for example .. then forget multi-region HD-DVD players anytime soon.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    How difficult would it be to import a machine then? I practically import all my dvds from region 1 as it is. Apart from uk shows I suppose. But for hi-def I'm mostly interested in buying films. Quite happy to have tv shows like Red dwarf on dvd. Also, you'd be able to watch films far earlier, as it took ages for the UK market to get a decent dvd catalogue together. Assuming my lcd can play 720p60 and 1080i 60hz. Probably not though.

5. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about Australia - I thought region-locked players were illegal there?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Clearly one can import a machine, but the point is that you'll need 2 machines (assuming you also view PAL), and another report I read about the announcements at CES has the phrase (I paraphrase, can't find the quote now) 'they [the HD DVD manufacturers and software suppliers] won't be looking to use price to boost take-up' .. meaning they'll be priced at premium levels, they expect Joe Public in the US to start buying once they've got large prenetration of HDTVs.

I''m sure the Australians will lose this protection under some future 'free trade' agreement, just like they had to accept a DMCA-equivalent after a recent round of 'negotiations'.

Clearly the wild-card in this area are the Chinese in the main, with their production capabilities then if any large-scale breaking of the license for AACS-equipped machines takes place it'll be from there .. remember, technically every manufacturer to supplies a machine capable of being made region-free is in breach of the license, especially those who provide 'secret' remote sequences. Also consider that firmware flashing will become a LOT more difficult when it's implemented in the new TCPA-type hardware that will be used.

Not directly related but this short piece under the heading A Trusted Hardware Solution on Intel's site shows the sort of chipsets that are being developed. Bare in mind HDMI mandates the ability for a program source be able to revoke the keys of hardware known to be in breach of the license and you begin to see the steps that are being taken to lock-down Users' use of HD-DVD in the way they [the users] were able to break free from in the SD-DVD era.

Yes, that's not going to be used in CE equipment, but much of that is applicable and it's only one such development Intel and IBM are working on.

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the DVI port on my TV, if I buy the slot, will accept 720p @ 50hz. So if it was also HDCP compatible, then I'd basically, have to import a machine?

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,746
    But US HD-DVD players will undoubtedly output 720p or 1080i @ 60hz not 50hz.

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If they start up with this whole region lock crap just bcoz hollywood wants us to follow what they want then I probably wont buy any HD-DVDs.

I heard that sony were thinking of not regionising their players. But they will probably have to under Hollywoods preasure other wise they wont get any films from them!

Just as things were starting to brighten up on the DVD front too! Newer players like the Denon 3910 are so easy to multyregionize.

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    It's the movie studios who have specified regional coding as it's their property. Apparantly regional coding will be far more difficult to crack this time around. Still, console games are released far closer together than they used to be. Often simultaneously worldwide. Perhaps this is the future for moives also!? It would certainly help combat pirated copies getting to markets like the UK before they've been released. Also, they got round the GC's coding within a year of it being released with the Freeloader disc. They'll crack HD-DVD/Blu-Ray eventually.

11. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201

Sony owns a large chunk of Hollywood!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    err no it wont at 50 but will at 60Hz so you may have to import a machine to use it and it is HDCP

13. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,746
    That's right, the DVI board will take 720p at 60hz but not at 50hz, I'm getting confused! So in theory you should just be able to connect an NTSC HD-DVD player and away you go...... in theory!

Cheers,
    Andy.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need a mains power whatsit to change it to work on UK mains etc (step down transformer) (they cant be daft enough to invest in HDCP and then Put a worldwode mains supply in can they???

15. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Really? I swear i've been told it only accepts it at 50hz. But, the DVI board isn't HDCP compatible, is it? So will I actually be able to plug it straight in?

Awesome news if I can.

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,746
    I'm certain the board is HDCP compliant. Also it is 60hz it accepts not 50hz so you should be ok. I think it's a pretty fussy board so there's no guarantees but on the face of it you should hopefully be ok.

Cheers
    Andy