HD-DVD players in Europe from september......

H

HighDeff

Hamburg - The on-again, off-again story of advanced optical- disc recording will keep consumers on tenterhooks yet again this autumn, with manufacturers in the Blu-ray camp still not ready to introduce their movie-players to the huge European market.

Pioneer, one of the stalwarts of the Blu-ray camp, admitted this week it would not be ready to launch the players by the time of the September 1-6 trade fair IFA in Berlin, the principal European consumer electronics show.

Toshiba, leader of the camp that makes the rival standard, the HD DVD, insists it will be ready to roll in Europe when the Berlin show opens. Both camps have had a rocky beginning in Japan and the United States.

At a briefing in Germany, Pioneer said it still had no 'concrete' plans for a European launch, but believed the January 2007 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where Blu-ray makers hope to offer movie-players in bulk, would 'lay the ground' for a Europe launch.

Blu-ray is a disc format that uses the light of blue lasers to read tiny pits in the surface of a disc. CD-ROMs, which are only used today for music, were conceived to hold 0.7 gigabytes of data, DVDs for 4.7 gigabytes per layer and Blu-ray discs for 25 gigabytes.

HD DVD discs, made to the rival specifications of Toshiba and allies, can only cram 15 gigabytes on a single layer, but are easier to manufacture, and what is more important, have reached the market quicker.

Toshiba says it will release a HD DVD player for European shoppers in a Toshiba-designed case at IFA, but cannot yet disclose what components will be inside, or what the box will cost.

That information is only likely to be finalized on September 1, the German arm of the Japanese consumer electronics group said in the port-city of Hamburg this week.

US consumers say it is has been difficult to obtain Toshiba players. This has led to allegations that Toshiba may be making a loss on US sales of the devices priced at 499 and 799 dollars.

While both HD-DVD and Blu-ray devices are already available for data storage on computers, the discs' main use will be for selling pre-recorded movies in superb, high-definition quality that will make existing DVD films look grainy by comparison.

It might need 50 gigabytes to store a full-length feature film at top quality. To do so will require triple-layer, 45-gigabyte HD-DVD discs. Blu-ray promises with two layers and a capacity of 50 gigabytes.

Sold on the next-generation discs, console games will have stunning graphics and will fit onto a single disc. But consumers will find it exasperating to have to choose between two incompatible standards in the shops.

Most of the hold-up has been blamed on special software to prevent illegal copying of movies.

A German computer magazine reported that the software still does not completely prevent copying. CT said it tested both HD DVD and Blu-ray devices with software that takes a snapshot of every single picture of a movie and then recombines these into a new film.

CT said the conversion software, which reintegrates the audio as well, worked on Windows XP systems. It said it tested a Sony personal computer with a Blu-ray drive and a Toshiba notebook with a HD DVD drive. Both makers say updated software will soon prevent this.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/f...9.php/Blu-Ray_recorders_to_be_no-shows_at_IFA

HighDeff said:

It might need 50 gigabytes to store a full-length feature film at top quality. To do so will require triple-layer, 45-gigabyte HD-DVD discs. Blu-ray promises with two layers and a capacity of 50 gigabytes.

© 2006 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/f...9.php/Blu-Ray_recorders_to_be_no-shows_at_IFA

:rotfl: :rotfl: Where do these guys get the disinformation :rotfl: :rotfl:

No wonder the average consumer will be confused with crap like this :rolleyes:

AVI

Avi said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: Where do these guys get the disinformation :rotfl: :rotfl:

No wonder the average consumer will be confused with crap like this :rolleyes:

AVI

Fully agrees, but the major news is this.:

"Toshiba, leader of the camp that makes the rival standard, the HD DVD, insists it will be ready to roll in Europe when the Berlin show opens. Both camps have had a rocky beginning in Japan and the United States."

"Toshiba says it will release a HD DVD player for European shoppers in a Toshiba-designed case at IFA, but cannot yet disclose what components will be inside, or what the box will cost.

That information is only likely to be finalized on September 1, the German arm of the Japanese consumer electronics group said in the port-city of Hamburg this week.":hiya:

HighDeff said:
Fully agrees, but the major news is this.:

"Toshiba, leader of the camp that makes the rival standard, the HD DVD, insists it will be ready to roll in Europe when the Berlin show opens. Both camps have had a rocky beginning in Japan and the United States."

"Toshiba says it will release a HD DVD player for European shoppers in a Toshiba-designed case at IFA, but cannot yet disclose what components will be inside, or what the box will cost.

That information is only likely to be finalized on September 1, the German arm of the Japanese consumer electronics group said in the port-city of Hamburg this week.":hiya:

I wonder if they will offer a single XA1 model as in Japan ? Someone posted that HCC had an article indicating an £800 MSRP for the Euro/UK model.

AVI

I wonder if they will offer a single XA1 model as in Japan ? Someone posted that HCC had an article indicating an £800 MSRP for the Euro/UK model.
Home Cinema Choice (#130, p10) reported:

...the most eagerly awaited announcement from Toshiba was the confirmation that the brand would introduce the first HD DVD player later this year. Only one model is expected in the UK, the high-end HD-AX1. Expect it to sell for around £800.

:thumbsup:

Rasczak said:
Home Cinema Choice (#130, p10) reported:

:thumbsup:

Nevertheless Rasczak, these informations seems brand new, from this week.

"Toshiba says it will release a HD DVD player for European shoppers in a Toshiba-designed case at IFA, but cannot yet disclose what components will be inside, or what the box will cost."

IFA is september 1-6 in Berlin, it could be a brand new 2nd gen player, based on the new SIGMA chipset http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/SMP8630/pdf_files/Envision8634_br.pdf, they will present or what.???

HighDeff said:
Nevertheless Rasczak, these informations seems brand new, from this week.

"Toshiba says it will release a HD DVD player for European shoppers in a Toshiba-designed case at IFA, but cannot yet disclose what components will be inside, or what the box will cost."

IFA is september 1-6 in Berlin, it could be a brand new 2nd gen player, based on the new SIGMA chipset http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/SMP8630/pdf_files/Envision8634_br.pdf, they will present or what.???

Personally I don't think we will see a second gen player in the European market first. I think G2 is more likely at CES in early 07. IMO we will get a version of the XA1.

AVI

£800?

Nice to see that once again, the European market gets shafted for consumer electronics. I was interested in buying one of these, but at that price they can simply forget it. I understand that I could import one, but i'm too fearful of the potential restrictions surrounding region coding.

So does this mean that the DVD Forum's "Regional Coding Working Group" will have reported back by September?

We sure as hell won't be getting any European players until that one is sorted out!

[nothing] said:
£800?

Nice to see that once again, the European market gets shafted for consumer electronics. I was interested in buying one of these, but at that price they can simply forget it. I understand that I could import one, but i'm too fearful of the potential restrictions surrounding region coding.

I wouldn't get upset about the price untill you see it, personally I don't see any way in the world that the player will be 800 pounds. If it is I can't see it selling at all.

I would of said £500 max but £800.:eek: Looks like the US subsidy isn’t going to be a global phenomena after all. Shame.:devil:

Well, it's a small world these days, we'll have to vote them out by buying from the USA. That'll teach them. Well maybe not, but it'll make me feel better.

Nic Rhodes said:
It will be £800.

How can Toshiba justify a £800 price tag when you could get an equivalent PC for less than £500?

:confused: £800 doesn't seem that unreasonable - high end (standard def) DVD players cost more than that!

Looks like the US subsidy isn’t going to be a global phenomena after all.
Has anyone actually got any proof of this subsidy yet? One company, with no inside information or knowledge of Toshiba's negotiations with OEM suppliers, has priced up the components and said there must be one. But is there anything slightly more credible (comments from Toshiba or Microsoft for example) to say this is indeed happening?

Considering goods released here tend to costs in £s what they cost in $s in the USA means that the pricing is following standard practise. The US pays US$799, we will be charged £799. Remember our price includes VAT, theirs excludes sales tax. And being canny buyers were will pay less than the RRP!

How can Toshiba justify a £800 price tag when you could get an equivalent PC for less than £500?
Badass, that is a dumb comparison and you (should) know it. You can build a cheap and cheerful PC to do many things: that doesn't mean it's going to perform well. Build quality, components used, design etc all factor.

Anyway if you're budgeting on £500 you might not have that much spare cash once you've picked up a HD DVD drive and a HDCP graphics card ;)

BadAss said:

It will be a 'better' model from Toshiba that has much '50Hz / PAL' added for the UK market. Just wait for the BD prices :devil: . Those who expeting £500 are living in the wrong place.

If anyone can get under £500 for any HD disc player however then I think they will sell very well. For me that is why I am interested in the US players.

Price was Toshibas trump card. If £800 is true then I think theyve shot themselves in the foot bigtime by only selling the more expensive HDX-A1 and placing themselves in BD territory. Its going to make the PS3 look an even better prospect for early adoptors.

For once, you are talking sense! Mind you, I'd have to hear a PS3 run before I bought one for movies, I already have 1 poor excuse for a hovercraft in my rack.

Nic Rhodes said:
It will be £800.

Has Toshiba anncounced it's £800 or is this conjecture ?

AVI

BadAss said:
Price was Toshibas trump card. If £800 is true then I think theyve shot themselves in the foot bigtime by only selling the more expensive HDX-A1 and placing themselves in BD territory. Its going to make the PS3 look an even better prospect for early adoptors.
I agree.

£500, or thereabouts, is tempting for the HD-A1. £800 for the HDX-A1 makes me sit this thing out.

Avi said:
Has Toshiba anncounced it's £800 or is this conjecture ?

AVI

Toshiba has announced nothing :cool: ;)

PS3 will battle it out with the XBox 360 add on. The stand alone players will battle it out themselves. Personally I think it the wrong call by Toshiba.

It hasn't been £1=$1 for a while. More like 1=$1, which makes uk stuff slightly cheaper.

basically this just means toshiba aren't prepared to make any/as much loss in europe. Fair enough with no bluray on the horizon. I can't beleive anyone actually thought we'd get them for £350

Rasczak said:
:confused: £800 doesn't seem that unreasonable - high end (standard def) DVD players cost more than that!

Seems pretty unreasonable to me if we are back to the bad old days of equivalent pricing in pounds and dollars. And that at a time when the exchange rate is about £1=$1.85.

With that sort of exchange and allowing another 17.5% for VAT should only give a price of £550 tops.

Even the $1=€1 exchange rate Sony are using for PS3 only gives £570

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom