HD-DVD playback, will this lot do it?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Knyght_byte, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Hiya folkses,

ok, basic gist....I would like to watch HD-DVD's (now blockbuster rent them out online...w00t) but cant afford to get either the HD-XE1 standalone or HD-E1 plus upgrade my non-HDMI amp to a HDMI amp.....

So, having recently invested in my PC setup in a few ways, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to tell me if the following kit will do what i need.....im sure if i searched hard enough i could probably jigsaw together bits of info from various threads and sites, but recently started a new job full time which is difficult for me due to medical reasons and i rarely have time to do more than eat dinner then go to bed during the week...lol

ok, I want to watch HD-DVD on my Infocus 7205 projector and listen to TruHD on my Denon 3803 AV amp which has external input (6/8 channel)

PC specs atm
    E6700
    Gigabyte DS3 965 mobo
    2Gb Ram
    HDD
    Creative X-Fi Fatality Champion something or other soundcard (the £150 one with front panel breakout box)
    600watt PSU
    Gainward 8800GTS 640Mb graphics (can do DVI to M1 on the PJ or can do VGA)

Would I be right in assuming its as simple as grabbing the Toshiba SD-H802A half height HD-DVD drive (which im guessing is going to take up a normal single slot like a DVD drive does in a PC?) and upgrade to PowerDVD Ultra.....and then be able to watch 720p resolution and using the creatives 6 channel analogue output listen to Dolby TrueHD (not interested in just DD+)

I do hope the answers yes as I can get that lot together for around £140...lol....bit cheaper than £450 for a XE1 :eek:

anyhow, cheers in advance to anyone who can give a yay or nay, if you are just speculating it will be ok then please say so, if you know it will work without a problem (other than the obvious usual random computer hiccups) then likewise please say so.....

regards,
    Knyght.

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Should work beautifully, might have to use AnyDVD HD and VGA output if you don't have HDCP throughout... you might get distracted by the graphics card sounding like it's taking off, but an aftermarket cooler and some big slow fans should sort it - sounds like a nice system :)

3. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Yes. :smashin:

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    cheers fellas

I've been using the same PC for the last 3 years without an upgrade so i decided this last couple months to build up a nice new one....went halfhearted at first but have recently up'd the CPU.....

the graphics card doesnt state HDCP on the gainward website, but all the other 8800 GTS's seem to have HDCP so i find it hard to believe this one doesnt...lol...i'll hunt around for the box to see if it states it on there......presumably just the display and graphics card need HDCP, the mobo doesnt need it does it?

well, hopefully once i get paid i'll be able to order everything and it'll all work like a charm....now blockbuster online rent HD-DVD's im well happy :)

5. Adama

Adama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just run AnyDVDhd in the background and forget about HDCP

6. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Ditto.

7. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Ditto if you wish to use VGA but 8800 cards are HDCP compliant.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/8800_faq.html

The 8500 does not have HDCP as part of the Nvidia reference design but some companies add it as an extra.

8. Adama

Adama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    AnyDVDhd also gives you the option to rip any HD movie to your hard drive :cool:

9. Treadstone

Treadstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've just treated myself to the Tosh HDDVD drive, the PQ is stunning. It's down to about £70 delivered from Lambda Tek:thumbsup: Only snag at the moment is that it won't read my DVD -R blanks, plays burned ones OK though:confused:
    Running on Athlon 64X2 4200, ATI 2600XT