• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD-DVD playback on a PC

Animons

Standard Member
All,

reason for joining avforums was because it seems to be a great community of knowledgeable people.
I'd like to start this thread to collect knowledge and people's experiences on getting hd-dvd playback on the PC.

So please post with your experiences :)

I will keep this updated with working configurations.

Does not work...
acer arcade
dell media direct
windows media player (except vista version with powerdvd add-in)
windvd trial version

Plays back some hd-dvds...
powerdvd 6.5 & anydvd

Plays back all hd-dvd's tried...
powerdvd 8, hdcp graphics card, vga output.

Animons

Standard Member
My own...

took advantage of the offer in local gamestation at present for 360 hd-dvd drive and 2 movies (i chose Bourne Supremacy & Apollo 13) for just £25.
Was a real treat for me because I had a fair bit of credit from various trade ins. :)

Got a 1.8Ghz core 2 duo pc. Windows MCE 2005
With a ati x800 all in wonder.
Wanted to get the hd dvd drive working on my pc, s conducted substantial research on this.

As a result,
Downloaded drivers (XBOX360.HD-DVDRom.UDF.Reader.v2.5.WindowsXP-BluePrint)
which allowed me to view hd dvd files in windows.

Borrowed a copy of powerdvd 6.5 and which would play part of Apollo 13 but then stops as content is protected. (I assume this is due to my not having a hdcp compliant system)

Anyway downloaded trial of anydvd.
This allows playback of Apollo 13 fine... jackpot!

Only thing is Bourne Supremacy does not play.
Plays universal hd-dvd intro but after that powerdvd 6.5 crashes giving error message (powerdvd has encountered a problem and needs to close).
Ripping hddvd to hard drive and playing from that gives same result. Dragging the movie .evo files into powerdvd to exit with no error message. All other .evo files (extra features) play fine using this method.

Trial of windvd does not allow playback of hd-dvd content.
Have tried acer arcade which is installed on my laptop but this does not recognise hd-dvds.
Using zoomplayer with various filters does not work either. With the .evo files I can change the movie position and it brings up the still from the movie but it does not play. (The picture does not change when I hit "play".)

Lastly I tried trial of powerdvd 8. Enabled hd-dvd playback using a patch available from the internet.
On initialisation of the movie, it tells me my graphics card is not supported.
I guess I need to get a hdcp enabled graphics card but i want to keep my aiw as it has a lot of functionality especially with the tv.

A friend has a brand new dell laptop with nvidia 8400. Tried all the above on his laptop and same results. Except for the powerdvd 8 trial plays back Bourne Supremacy!

Also tried Dell media direct which does not seem to allow playback of hd-dvd's.

Next thing for me to try are mplayer and vlc. Will keep you updated.

pjclark1

Prominent Member
Lastly I tried trial of powerdvd 8. Enabled hd-dvd playback using a patch available from the internet.
On initialisation of the movie, it tells me my graphics card is not supported.
I guess I need to get a hdcp enabled graphics card but i want to keep my aiw as it has a lot of functionality especially with the tv.

No, the ATI x800 is not supported by PowerDVD ..... nothing to do with HDCP
You need a new graphics card

Animons

Standard Member
No, the ATI x800 is not supported by PowerDVD ..... nothing to do with HDCP
You need a new graphics card

Noooo.
I want to keep my Ati AIW x800.

Powerdvd 6.5 seems to work dandy.
Powerdvd 8 plays everything apart from hd-dvd without complaining about my x800
So is it that only certain cards are supported by powerdvd 8 for playback of hd-dvd's?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom