HD DVD pc's on route

RS 4273

Novice Member
I know lots of us here build our own pc's but a chap over at AVS has announced there will be a very large advertising campaign in the new year pushing HD DVD hard for the home pc and buisness user alike (usa) EU to follow shortly with ready made HD dvd pc's and also notebooks/laptops to hit the market with a few companys getting this campaign underway Q1 07 with others to follow soon after,, obviously all in collabaration with MICROSOFT and WINDOWS VISTA,We all know they are allready developed but when there is something like this on the horizon you can be pretty sure HD dvd is here to stay..

DESKTOP TO INCL
Hewlett packard HD
COMPAQ HD

NOTEBOOKS TO INCL
COMPAQ EVO HD
ACER ASPIRE HD
TOSHIBA G SERIES HD

Even though i will have my stand alone toshiba XE1 no doubt when i build a
dx10 GPU model pc in the new year along with windows vista as my op HD dvd will be the perfect partner..;) :thumbsup:

MikeK

Novice Member
:)

They may have a hard time trying to flog HD-DVD ROM (or BD-ROM for that matter) equipped PCs to businesses - as they really don't have much use beyond a normal DVD-ROM, other than to watch HD movies, and many businesses frown on their employees doing this at work for some odd reason :)

RS 4273

Novice Member
:)

They may have a hard time trying to flog HD-DVD ROM (or BD-ROM for that matter) equipped PCs to businesses - as they really don't have much use beyond a normal DVD-ROM, other than to watch HD movies, and many businesses frown on their employees doing this at work for some odd reason :)
If you read what i quoted from the announcement it is aimed at the home user aswell which is obviously first and main aim followed by laptops etc which were aimed at the business user for people who travel etc ,planes ,trains , i dont think companies stop you watching a film on a lap top while commuting to work or on a long buisness trip,im happy to be proved wrong but its all very new to me your statement or very sarcastic as no one except you has come up with the idea of watching a film @ work very weird indeed :confused: ..i would think maybe it was for HD presentations etc after all its the futre im sure large companies would use HD for work for these types of things..

mattym

Banned
If you read what i quoted from the announcement it is aimed at the home user aswell which is obviously first and main aim followed by laptops etc which were aimed at the business user for people who travel etc ,planes ,trains , i dont think companies stop you watching a film on a lap top while commuting to work or on a long buisness trip,im happy to be proved wrong but its all very new to me your statement or very sarcastic as no one except you has come up with the idea of watching a film @ work very weird indeed :confused: ..i would think maybe it was for HD presentations etc after all its the futre im sure large companies would use HD for work for these types of things..
someones tired......

personally i think its a limited field, media center is the only real place that HD or BD will find a use other than backups

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
I really can't see HD presentations for work... not that many use video on a day to day basis and it would be hard for most people to justify the extra expense required to author HD video, HD projectors etc. when what's around today already bores 90% of the people watching them. :eek:

I'm not sure (haven't seen it so can say for definite) that HD films on a laptop screen are going to be much different from a normal DVD, and the monsters that have HD are a bit difficult to get on your lap or on the seat tray in many aircraft. They also struggle to play an entire film on battery power, so for all sorts of reasons for the uses you suggest they don't make much sense right now.

The target markets are high-end (as in high end laptop) desktop replacement machines for mainly home use where many people prefer the convenience of a laptop solution to one where a dedicated desk is required.

I would also ask whether any of these machines are more than ROM drives and whether any HD-DVD writers are due to ship soon. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the Vista bandwagon. Wait and see how the DRM pans out as on paper it looks to be extremely draconian. The whole issue of HD playback and Vista DRM could become very heated next year.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I already have a hd-dvd equipped pc,thanks all the same :D

jasperw

Novice Member
What drive is it mate, I've been looking for a PC HD-DVD ROM for a couple of weeks and all I could find was the tosh which isn't released yet (unless you buy a 360 drive)

cheers

I already have a hd-dvd equipped pc,thanks all the same :D

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
yep, its a 360 drive :)

RS 4273

Novice Member
yep, its a 360 drive :)
i have a 360 HD dvd its ok for the money this is a stop gap for me i have this hooked up to my sony x series so im waiting for my tosh HD XE1 to be able to use the full 1080p without any probs,, the thing with the add on is the sound is dire and i have a very expensive nice bit of audio kit speakers and amp etc and this add on is just a joke for sound kills the experience :thumbsdow ...!!

i have a spare 360 hd add on uk need to sell this one also..:devil:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
:confused:

The sound has nothing at all to do with the drive, its all down to what soundcard/amp/speakers you have.

Sounds great here :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom