• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD DVD owners - what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi :)
Myself,Scrapbook and paulst10 will let this thread run and see how it goes. :smashin:
This thread is for the future of HD dvd discussion and also keeping/selling player related chat.
This thread is for HD dvd player owners only,thank you.

As the news of warner supporting only blu-ray is it worth trying to get a few quid for my HD-E1 while its worth anything?

If so how much is it worth (12 months old - about 8-10 films)?

MrHyde1969

Let me be the first to say that my EP-35 aint goin' nowhere !

Let me tell you why!

Just took delivery of my BSG season 1, and I bet there aint a single Blu-ray out there now or for the near futre that has the features, web enabled, pip on screen commetries ect ect.

Profile 1? 1.1? 2??? anyone

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Cheers.

I look at it this way.

I'll be keeping my player and 50 discs. I'll be hoping for at least one decent manufacturer to release a dual-format player (or as it may well be a BD player with HD DVD functionality). Otherwise, if HD DVD 'dies' I'll be buying a couple of players cheap in the inevitable fire sale.

The alternative is to sell my player at a minimum of a £200 loss, as well as my discs at an unknown figure, and re-buy on BD.

I'd lose money and have to put up with waiting for the release on BD of films I've already owned on HD DVD.

I'm unable to see how this would make any sort of sense whatsoever on any level. :confused:

Meanwhile, between now and May I'll be buying Warner titles on BD unless they're a snip on HD DVD.

Universal & Paramount releases are 'on hold' for a couple of weeks to see if anything develops. If they appear to be carrying on with HD DVD for now, I'll be buying their films same as ever.

Meanwhile (slightly off topic) I'm looking for a standalone 1.0 BD player - I think the Panasonic BD10.

Steve W

seerm77

Now with Paramount might going to Blu-ray (according to digibits)... is it really worth getting one?

I was literally 2 hours away from getting one when i read the news on here...
... not sure what to do.

I have Heroes, Transformers and about 10 other films.

Do i risk it and buy an EP30 knowing it 6 months it may be obsolete or sell my HD stuff (plus HD DVD Xbox 360 add-on) and wait (with my PS3) till it all comes out on Blu-ray.

seerm77

Let me be the first to say that my EP-35 aint goin' nowhere !

Let me tell you why!

Just took delivery of my BSG season 1, and I bet there aint a single Blu-ray out there now or for the near futre that has the features, web enabled, pip on screen commetries ect ect.

Profile 1? 1.1? 2??? anyone

Does the EP30 have the same functionality as the EP35 (aside for sound)?

LCR_Dave

ill be keeping my 360 hd add on and all my movies i bought them cos they look great and dont see the point of buying them again on blu-ray, i have a ps3 also so it doesnt really bother me that much i just wish the hd-dvd camp would slash there prices to keep in the game and keep us dual format or hd dvd format owners happy with our current and future purchases, i can only see blu-ray moves creeping up slightly on price :(

GazRooney

Im only able to post in this thread till monday and that when the DHL guy comes to work to pick up my ep35 and take i back to amazon. Going to put the full refund plus the sale of my disks towards a new laptop.

Was going to get a blu ray player but after having the finished thing with the ep35. Decided on just watching more stuff on sky hd as i pay enough for it.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
And not in a sarcastic way.

They've given me, and many others, the chance to "dip our toe in the HD water" for the key threshold figure of £200 (or less).

They've provided decent kit (ok not perfect, but good enough), and free films.

I don't want a games console (my kids would requisition it) and by all accounts there's no other BR player worth buying at the moment, and certainly not one that's as cheap as the Tosh players.

So I'm going to keep my powder dry, wait until a fully formed BR player appears for £200 or less, and then I may well dive back in.

Presuming BR "takes over" which is a big presumption.

In the mean time, I'll continue with to buy HD-DVD films (that I really like) as they appear (especially any bargains that may pop up now) , and SD. And enjoy my Tosh EP30. :thumbsup:

And if HD-DVD does persist, even better. Either way, Toshiba have given it a good shot. I'd like to thank them. :)

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Apols for cross posting my thanks above, but I'm pleased to see a thread like this.

Toshiba have given us access to some bleeding edge technology for a decent price, and have kept BR honest in the price stakes. :thumbsup:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Apols for cross posting my thanks above, but I'm pleased to see a thread like this.

Toshiba have given us access to some bleeding edge technology for a decent price, and have kept BR honest in the price stakes. :thumbsup:

Hi PJTX100 :)
Agreed. :thumbsup:
Keeping hold of my Xe1 and of course my HD dvd collection. :)

GazRooney

Agreed mate. well put!

EP35 was faultless and i did want hd dvd to win. In player terms to far advance to the spec of blu ray its a crime that it lost. Only recently realised since ive started to look into the blu ray market.

Also nice to see a thread like this :thumbsup:

bradavon78

As the news of warner supporting only blu-ray is it worth trying to get a few quid for my HD-E1 while its worth anything?
Don't you think you're still being a bit premature? Universal still support HD-DVD, so do Paramount and so do many European/Japanese companies.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I may have to sell 1 or 2 of my players :blush: :D

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I intend to continue buying HD DVDs to the end (which can't be far off now if the rumours re Paramount and Universal are true). But for me the fact is I need to retain a HD DVD player to play my current discs (40) and if I have one HD DVD disc I need a HD DVD player - so what does it matter if I continue to buy? If the HD DVD variant is better, or it is HD DVD exclusive I will buy it without hestitation.

I could of course sell my player/discs. However then I would loose access to titles that might not be available on Blu-ray for years. Even if Universal went neutral tomorrow then it would take them at least 2-3 years to catch upto where they are now. And the quality is likely to be identical. Better to hold onto the HD DVDs are merely upgrade 5 years from now when a 'Special Edition' re-release is in the bargain bin.

What I will say though is I'm very happy I have an XE1. It seems to me that if HD DVD dies tomorrow then this is the 'ultimate' player. Well built, refined firmware, 1080p/24 output and bitstream audio output. I'm sure Toshiba will look to make dual players but certainly as Blu-ray matures I will look more to the likes of Arcam, Denon, Marantz (etc) to cater for my players - hopefully some of these will go dual as well - but if Paramount and Universal both jump I suspect maybe not.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
A refreshing thread :smashin:

The wife said it best when I informed her of the current situation:

"Will the discs stop playing on the HD player should HD DVD fail?"

It goes without saying, the XE1 has made a firm impression on both of us and will have a special place in our HT 'till the end of its days.

:)

pob

Keeping my E1. Sending my EP35 back to Amazon for refund. I've had a couple of read errors/glitches since I got it before xmas but I was living with them as I really like the player. However, the recent WB news has knocked my confidence in the format, so I'm just going to keep the E1 and my few HD-DVDs and continue buying Blu Ray instead.

BrianPK

Well after severely testing my EP35 which I received last Thursday and observing its faultless HD performance and outstanding upscaling ability I can state categorically that this machine is staying with me.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Actually, I'm going to buy a couple of HD-DVDs at the w/end. Just for the sheer hell of it.

I'm not going to let these studios push me about. :D

Haven't got Transformers yet. Just got to decide which other one.

I also may buy a 2nd player, as a backup to the first. ;)

I fancy that tank they call the XE1. :thumbsup:

seerm77

shall i or shall i not get an EP30 as planned!?!?!?! :confused::lease:

bawheid

It's good to hear from folks who bought into HD DVD intending to keep their players and collections. I know of a few who kept their Laserdisc players and collections - dvd took years to catch up on some of the criterion releases.

I hope HD DVD holds out - I was hoping to go HD some time this year and don't fancy Sony's handling of region coding or DRM, it seems very out of touch with enthusiasts. The debacle with DRM on cd should set alarm bells ringing for anyone who likes to archive or back up their disc collection.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
A refreshing thread :smashin:

The wife said it best when I informed her of the current situation:

"Will the discs stop playing on the HD player should HD DVD fail?"

It goes without saying, the XE1 has made a firm impression on both of us and will have a special place in our HT 'till the end of its days.

:)

Hi mate
hi-103.gif
great post,it's made me feel all warm inside.
smitten.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom