HD DVD over standard DVD

I

IanMerseyside

Given that there are still lots of standard def DVD players selling at over £2,500, will the PQ on the new HD DVD players always be better considering the likely selling price of approx £500? It doesn't quite sound right to me but hopefully that is the case as I am considering buying a HD DVD player early in the new year when they hit the UK market.

I think the way to look at it is we usually have a lot of SD discs (sometimes hundreds) and we want to take advantage of those to their maximum potential, meaning buying an Arcam/Naim/Meridian etc. The HD players will likely have a better picture with HD discs, but how many of those will you have? Better, I think, to wait until the medium settles down and the key players release their own HD players. Imagine a Meridian HD player....

Given that there are still lots of standard def DVD players selling at over £2,500, will the PQ on the new HD DVD players always be better considering the likely selling price of approx £500?
Well on my setup the performance of my XA1 equals my 3910 with Region 1 NTSC discs. Perhaps that is a limitation of my equipment but I am extremely impressed :thumbsup:

IanMerseyside said:
Given that there are still lots of standard def DVD players selling at over £2,500, will the PQ on the new HD DVD players always be better considering the likely selling price of approx £500? It doesn't quite sound right to me but hopefully that is the case as I am considering buying a HD DVD player early in the new year when they hit the UK market.

All the HD-DVD titles I've watched (30 so far) have superior PQ/AQ to their DVD counterpart. I use an SDI modified DVD transport to a Lumagen HPD VP and HD-DVD is a league above. New DVD products are increasingly incorporating newer VP technology to squeeze the last ounce of PQ from DVD. But IMO a £500 HD-DVD player will provide a better HD-DVD picture than a £2500 DVD player with a DVD assuming your display can take advantage.

The bottom line is even whilst there are some improvements with VP's you can't add what doesn't exist in an interlaced 480/576x720 encode v 1920x1080 progressive encode.

AVI

If a £500 HD DVD player can't produce pictures that knock a £2500 SD DVD player into a cocked hat then the format has got real problems! :)

I'm more interested in seeing what can be "value added" to pursuade you that a £2500 HD DVD player is worth buying over the £500 basic model and seeing the PQ/SQ differences between the two.

Evil Engineer said:
If a £500 HD DVD player can't produce pictures that knock a £2500 SD DVD player into a cocked hat then the format has got real problems! :)

I'm more interested in seeing what can be "value added" to pursuade you that a £2500 HD DVD player is worth buying over the £500 basic model and seeing the PQ/SQ differences between the two.

i'm guessing superior sound decoding ability, superior connectivity options, possibly networking ability with upscaling to stupid resolutions for those large computer LCD screens......

or just so you can say my HD-DVD player cost £2.5k so nyer nyer na nyer nyer...lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom