HD-DVD Output Resolution on Tosh

scgf

Established Member
Reaction score
I am very close to ordering a Toshiba HD-A1 from the States, but have read that the screen resolution needs to be set to match the DVD film itself. Now this bothers me because I have a Hitachi 42PMA400E (component connection) which gives me the best HD pictures from Sky HD that I have ever seen - very analog looking, contrary to the digitally processed images I have seen on other panels. The problem is that the older Hitachi panels do not show 720p at 50 Hz at all, only at 60 Hz.

No problem for me at the moment because 1080i is available at both 50 & 60 Hz. If I buy the Tosh, and get a film on DVD which is designed to be shown at 720p it is going to look only as good as SD because the player won't upscale.

Are HD-DVD films made in both resolutions?

Am I best waiting for a second generation player?

Many thanks for your help in avoiding a (possibly) expensive mistake!

Set the player to 1080i AT ALL TIMES, it is light years better for HD DVD. The discs are 1080 resolution and the 720p is a 'nasty' down mix mess that looks barely better than DVD.

If I buy the Tosh, and get a film on DVD which is designed to be shown at 720p

It's very unlikely that there will be any HD-DVD's released at 720p. All HD-DVD's so far are 1080p on the disc and I don't see any reason that will ever change.

You have nothing to worry about on this score.

Not sure what you've read - the Toshiba outputs HD-DVDs at 480p/60, 720p/60 and 1080i/60? It doesn't play any R2 DVDs. Is that what you're asking?

cj said:
Not sure what you've read - the Toshiba outputs HD-DVDs at 480p/60, 720p/60 and 1080i/60? It doesn't play any R2 DVDs. Is that what you're asking?

You are correct but that isn't what he is asking.

The Toshiba tells you to set the output resolution to match the resolution on the disc. ie since all HD-DVD's are 1080p you should set the output resolution to 1080i.

He is saying thats all fine but if any movies come out as 720p instead of 1080p then it would look poor on his TV. So he is asking if any movies will be coming out as 720p. The answer is no and so this isn't an issue for him.

Even if any movies did come out as 720p he might find they looked good anyway, The toshiba seems to be very good at upscaling but bad at downscaling. So keeping the output resolution at 1080i for a 720p disc may well still look good. But since there isn't any 720p discs thats just irrelevant theory.

so the tosh is no good at downscaling?
my screen is 768x1280,no good if i need 1080 to match the toshes output.
shame,i was looking forward to getting one.:(

the klang said:

The Tosh will send 1080i to your TV and your TV will downscale it, don't worry it will look fantastic. Most people are in your situation there arn't many people who are lucky enough to have 1080 screens yet. I've not heard a single bad word about how the Toshiba and HD-DVD looks on screens like yours.

What you don't want to do is set the toshiba to output 720p because it isn't good at it. Set it to 1080i and let your TV worry about it and you will love it.

Sorry if you misunderstood my previous post, you have nothing to worry about.

No, your Pioneer will be doing the deinterlacing and downscaling from 1080i to 768p. I imagine it should look as good as it does on my MXE. ;)

Steve

the klang said:

The deinterlacing and scaling should be done in your display with a 1080i input, if you do this the picture will be awesome. If you tell the player to output 720p it will not as indicated ealier.

no problem mate !
im stupid and read it wrong.
still good to here it is "all that and a bag of chips"my mate is going to the usa next week and said hes bringing one back for me (tosh a1)happy days...

I have a Tosh screen which IMHO matches my HD-A1 perfectly.

Degs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom