1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD or Blu Ray? Samsung to the rescue!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Evil Engineer, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It looks like Samsung may have solved the looming dilemma of whether to buy an HD-DVD player to watch Lord of the Rings or a Blu Ray player to watch Star Wars by planning a dual format machine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050906/tc_nm/samsung_dvd_dc

If they can ship that with a multi region hack, put me down for one!

Bit of shame it's Samsung, though. Let's hope Pioneer or Denon can pull off the same trick, they know it makes sense!

2. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Samsung are not that bad. They share a lot of stuff with Sony including screens. Usually only bad things get discussed on forums and the bigger the producer the more moans they get.
    There latest LCD's are beating Sony, Phillips, Toshiba and Panasonic. (home Cinema Choice)
    No doubt their new tech players will be as good as any other mass producer.
    My understanding is that region coding will be defunct in the new players. it hasn't worked in the old. Thats why we get film releases closer to the American release dates now.

3. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'm sure Samsung aren't that bad.

It's just that I'm a real snob when it comes to consumer electronics.

Especially if looks like I've got to sink a grand for the privilege of early adopting!

As for regional coding, I'm not so sure. You can't trust the Hollywood studios as far as you can chuck them. Lord only knows what nasty little suprises they've got tucked up there sleaves.

4. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Won't argue with you there, film companies will try anything.
    I agree about paying for quality, but IMO technology is churning stuff so fast now that it only pays to buy cheap.
    My mate bought a Plasma 18 months ago for about six grand and he's moaning about the inputs already. For that money though he can't change it for a long time....I was jealous then but not anymore... :D

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Remember, depending on who you listen to, it just might be Samsung that makes the World's best television - the 1080 resolution SVP-71L8UH, so we will obviously need some suitable 1080 source to take advantage of the display.

Everyone drew parallels with VHS and betamax, but the reality is that HDDVD & blu-ray are not that exclusive, and dual format machines were always possible. There were presumably legal commitments in the licence agreements preventing members straddling the fence like this, but if someone big like Samsung can come out and announce this, then the other obvious videophile's favourites like Pioneer and Denon will presumably follow suit.

This may just save the format(s), if they can just co-exist instead of compete. In future, maybe people's film collections will simply consist of both types of discs, depending on which studios produced the respective films.

Nick

6. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Theres nothing wrong with Samsung they are a very big company.

7. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Being a big company doesn't guarantee quality products.

Can you say Daewoo??

I'm with Evil Engineer, I wouldn't give Samdung products house-room.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I can't see the HD-DVD consortium allowing a Blu-ray manufacturer to license their technology for inclusion in a dual format drive. Nor can I see a situation when one camp is winning the war and then holding out an olive branch to the opposition when they would be in a postition to crush them.

In all honesty I can not see a unified solution appearing, the metaphorical blood will be splattered all over the place before this is all sorted and one camp reaps the rewards.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was under the impression that it was still very much a stalemate between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and a paper one at that since neither faction has any actual shipping players and movies...

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Well, it sounds like it may already have happened. Somebody as important as Head of Consumer Electronics for a company as big as Samsung simply doesn't make statements like that to carefully selected important publications unless he has made many engineers, product planners, lawyers, etc considering the feasibility for a long time.

Perhaps they expect to meet legal action. Perhaps they have already decided that it wil be worth the risk and the cost. This will have been a very carefully considered announcement, probably made in consultation with other companies.

Such a dual format player may be some way off, yet. But by declaring that they WILL be straddling the fence, more manufacturers will be encouraged to break ranks. By the time we actually get to see some hardware, so many manufacturers might be doing the same thing that the momentum will be too great.

I hope so.

Nick

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Lets hope Sansung make this better than their current universal SD player, the tukey called HD 950.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As I said "Nor can I see a situation.." meaning that some point in the future which is in line with the Samsung source stating that in time if certain things don't come to pass.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I agree.
    However that was not firm statment of intent in the manner of having a product designed or mocked up or confirming a legal agreement to share an other companies licensed technology.
    It's called PR and all the parties involved are probably keen to imply a single format in the long run will emerge to encourage everyone to support one or the other safe in the knowledge that the discs will not become useless after their chosen format collapses.

14. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33