HD-DVD now region free?

Lrrr

Hi everyone, It was my understanding that HD-DVD has a region coding system in the spec but that it wasn't currently being enforced. OTOH, I have seen a few posts on the boards recently stating that HD-DVD is now region free. Did I miss something? Has the coding been officially abandoned or are we still in the initial situation (it's on the books, but not enforced).

AES256

Hi everyone, It was my understanding that HD-DVD has a region coding system in the spec but that it wasn't currently being enforced.

This is not correct. The HD DVD specs do not currently include region coding i.e. there's nothing that can be enforced, or not enforced region-wise.

The MS/VC-1 insider on the AVS insider thread has commented on the future saying that moves to propose HD DVD region coding for review by the DVD Forum are looking less likely as time goes by.

That aside, current state of play is that all discs from all countries releasing HD DVD films will play in any HD DVD player, no matter where you've bought it.

Lrrr

That's good news thanks. It's getting very tempting to buy a HD-DVD player now (with Battlestar Galactica, Planet Earth and the Bourne movies coming soon) but I'm kinda annoyed that the US equivalent of the HD-XE1 costs only $400 vs £450 here. I think I will wait a few months and see what happens.

TrevorS

That's good news thanks. It's getting very tempting to buy a HD-DVD player now (with Battlestar Galactica, Planet Earth and the Bourne movies coming soon) but I'm kinda annoyed that the US equivalent of the HD-XE1 costs only $400 vs £450 here. I think I will wait a few months and see what happens.

The US equivalent of the XE1 is the XA2 which is priced at $800 as of April 1 (previously $1000). The next step down is the newly released A20 at $500. The $400 player you appear to be referring to is the A2 which is the equivalent of the entry level E1. (The A2 was priced at $500 previous to April 1.)

brian s

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone, It was my understanding that HD-DVD has a region coding system in the spec but that it wasn't currently being enforced. OTOH, I have seen a few posts on the boards recently stating that HD-DVD is now region free. Did I miss something? Has the coding been officially abandoned or are we still in the initial situation (it's on the books, but not enforced).

The machines are region locked for standard DVD. So a model bought in the UK will be region 2 only for DVD but should play any HD DVD.

All the best
Bri

Lrrr

Thanks for the info everyone.

mshdsp

The machines are region locked for standard DVD. So a model bought in the UK will be region 2 only for DVD but should play any HD DVD.

All the best
Bri

Will the player become region-free for SD DVDs?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom