HD-DVD movie flood coming to the UK

...and with a bit of luck they should all play on US hardware :clap:

Although alot of titles will overlap with US releases, Europe will benefit from some exclusive titles: Terminator 2 and Stargate (both BluRay exclusive titles) are on their way to European HD DVD this year. As a result we are likely to see US buyers importing from Europe - at least until the single format studios realise how much money they are losing and go dual format.

That will be a massive boost to HD-DVD if it happens, although Blade Runner on HD-DVD by the end of 2006 makes me think that article could be wrong :confused:

Still, looks like it won't be too long before we know if the UK releases will play on our US players :clap:

That will be a massive boost to HD-DVD if it happens, although Blade Runner on HD-DVD by the end of 2006 makes me think that article could be wrong
The article probably means in the year following launch. Much the same was promised in the US but, as you'd expect, Grade A titles are held back a few months to enable a market to form.

shaithis said:
That will be a massive boost to HD-DVD if it happens, although Blade Runner on HD-DVD by the end of 2006 makes me think that article could be wrong :confused:

Still, looks like it won't be too long before we know if the UK releases will play on our US players :clap:
Im sure they will play on us machines, jap imports have been.

Thats excellent news, also good news on T2 etc i wonder if there are other titles that fall into this category due to distribution rights etc. Hopefully there are all region free as well.

Ultimate superman 14 discs.:eek: Wonder how much that would cost?

Thats excellent news, also good news on T2 etc i wonder if there are other titles that fall into this category due to distribution rights etc
For as long as HD DVD stays region free and nobody forces us to 'upgrade' ours players to a fixed region code then we should reap considerable benefits from differing distribution rights both here and in Japan. As more smaller studios join the format war the effect could become even more pronounced.

When you consider all this the whole studio support issue is quite deceptive at present. On paper things look quite good for BluRay - however in reality things are fairly equal when you consider international releases. As the single format studios start to realise that their profits are being undermined by not supporting both formats I'm sure they will adopt both.

Rasczak said:
...and with a bit of luck they should all play on US hardware :clap:

I thought the Toshiba couldn't do PAL? ...or am I missing something..probably!!?

Donnacha said:
I thought the Toshiba couldn't do PAL? ...or am I missing something..probably!!?
Hd dvd doesnt use pal or ntsc, its completely different.

As klacey points out PAL and NTSC are not applicable to high def. US releases are currently encoded in 1080p/24. Studio Canal's European releases are also encoded in 1080p/24. Provided there are no elements are we are unaware of then they will play - this certainly is what is coming from the industry insiders on AVS.

And so how and when do we find out for sure
If we are lucky we'll get info a week on Monday (the Berlin festival) - if not it's wait until the first UK HD DVD.

itd all about

star wars
lord of the rings
rocky

FOR ME !

star wars
I remember reading an article with George Lucas where he commented he didn't plan to release the Star Wars movies until the format war was resolved. :thumbsdow Maybe we'll end up waiting as long for high def Star Wars as we did for a DVD release?

lord of the rings
New Line have announced they will announce their HD DVD plans early in the New Year.

Blade Runner will sell it for me

Rasczak said:
If we are lucky we'll get info a week on Monday (the Berlin festival) - if not it's wait until the first UK HD DVD.

This is what I am waiting for, if they will play for sure, then I will get a US player, if not I will wait the UK release.

It's amazing how we all still get excited about the release of Terminator 2 in a new format or edition ( DVD, WMV-HD, Ultimate DVD etc.) and now HD-DVD seems to be resting its hopes of world domination on Arnie and the T-1000.
Great movie, but surely we've seen it enough times by now not to 'wow' over it yet again just because it has a few more pixels to the image? :rolleyes:

Or am I being a party pooper?..lol:devil:

Or am I being a party pooper?
Yes you are :)

I am quite happy to buy T2 again on HD DVD after already having brought it twice on VHS, once or twice on DVD (I can't remember) and once on BluRay. I will probably buy it again in a few years when the special edition comes out as well :D But then will be it...honest.

:arty:

I'll get my coat!

Oakleyspatz said:
It's amazing how we all still get excited about the release of Terminator 2 in a new format or edition ( DVD, WMV-HD, Ultimate DVD etc.) and now HD-DVD seems to be resting its hopes of world domination on Arnie and the T-1000.
For me its not T2 per se that is the exciting factor, its the worldwide distribution rights that is exciting. This means that we could get movies on HD-DVD that only a few months ago seemed destined for BD exclusivity. Thats assuming i get a HD-DVD player, with the offer on at the mo it is mighty tempting :)

For me its not T2 per se that is the exciting factor, its the worldwide distribution rights that is exciting. This means that we could get movies on HD-DVD that only a few months ago seemed destined for BD exclusivity
Exactly. This has significant implications for all of us and T2 is just a good example. In the US it's BluRay only, in Europe it's HD DVD only. The advantage HD DVD has is that the European version should quite happily play in US machines. :thumbsup:

Paul Mela said:
Blade Runner will sell it for me

Here Here:thumbsup:

Please finally give this film the release treatment it rightfully deserves

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom