HD-DVD losing in Japan

P

Packetfront

Only 14% market share for HD-DVD compared to Blu-ray which got 86% right now of the HD market.

bdhdvd.gif

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Although the first round has gone to HD DVD, I'm not so sure if it's set to continue.

I wish they had managed to get their players out by now.

Only 14% market share for HD-DVD compared to Blu-ray which got 86% right now of the HD market.
Vice versa in the US and Europe though. Perhaps the lack of success of HD DVD in Japan is because only the expensive XA1 and an even more expensive recorder are the models available there (hence no price advantage) and the discs use AVC (hence no quality advantage)?

But Betamax and VideoCD were both huge in Japan...

Do the figures given take into account the fact that Blu Ray has been available in one of several guises for approx 2.5 years in Japan?

Microsoft hardware has never done well in Japan. As microsoft is a major backer in HD-DVD im not supprised its not doing well over there.. I heard today the theirs been more PS3 (Blueray) sold in the past couple of months then XBOX360 since launch.

Remember Betamax and VHS war.. What I can remember is that betamax done o.k. in Asia but VHS one overall.. Maybe the Blueray/Hd-DVD war might just go like this ..?

coulnt it be just down to the ps3?
loadsa japanese purchased ps3 compared to 360

Cut the crap with Betamax, it's pointless really

Personally I would say it's no/more less relevant than any of the other statistics/guesses/polls/discussions that we have here...

...MiniDisc, SACD/DVD-A, Betamax, UMD...all formats that failed in which we look for similarities with BluRay/HD DVD. Personally I think we'll go down a dual route as we have with SACD/DVD-A only with a significantly larger market share.

What about Betamax was still being produced in Japan until the late 90's! There's also the fact MD recordable is still massive world wide & have you seen how many SACD's you can buy now.
Polls don't mean nothing! Buy what you like not what your told!

:smashin:

What about Betamax was still being produced in Japan until the late 90's! There's also the fact MD recordable is still massive world wide & have you seen how many SACD's you can buy now.
Polls don't mean nothing! Buy what you like not what your told!

:smashin:

MD recordable is a niche market with musicians and for video ( I know I still use them) but for portable music MP3 and I tunes are here to stay. SACD: I have DVD players which can play them and have truly never seen one in a shop. Arcam and Linn assure me to keep playing CDs on their kit:D

UMD is a novelty: The few people I know with PSPs watch movies on them on DVDs ripped to memory stick.

Sony's suppport of Digital8 and MicroMV is C**P. One hopes HDV and AVCHD will not suffer the same fate.

I take the point about polls but buying what you like can be a costly error of judgement if you just buy without at least sensing trends. This is even more impt if you are a retailer as you dont want to stock items which will just stay on the shelves

Oh you really are a treasure Mitch ...anything else you'd like to dictate that people restrict their commentary to?

Oh you really are a treasure Mitch ...anything else you'd like to dictate that people restrict their commentary to?

No, the real treasure is people seem to mention Betamax everytime the conversation about BR comes up, really, be original for a change.

To whole Betamax/Blu-Ray comparison is BS and leads to nowhere closer than to somewhere.

Betamax failed, Blu-Ray hasn't, far from it. I know people want it to fail, which is something quite different from reality.

Well if the talk bores you so much why bother posting.

LOL, maybe I feel the need, who knows :smashin:

it's really funny to see people using the same argument over and over again without actually getting somewhere :rotfl:

To whole Betamax/Blu-Ray comparison is BS and leads to nowhere closer than to somewhere.

Would you prefer we compared BR to UMD then? or Minidisc? or Memorystick? or any other sony produced media that failed to make an impact on the mass market? :devil:

If BR is going to overtake HD-DVD and become the HD format of choice, it doesn't need your help. :D

Would you prefer we compared BR to UMD then? or Minidisc? or Memorystick? or any other sony produced media that failed to make an impact on the mass market? :devil:

The preponderance of evidence point to Japan as not indicative of world taste, at least not in video formats. Betamax had a lead there, so is the UMD and other SOny formats enjoying brisk market support that didn't happen elsewhere. There must something about the Japanese market psyche that goes against world grain. :D

Betamax failed, Blu-Ray hasn't, far from it. I know people want it to fail, which is something quite different from reality.

Oh... Betamax aside there are 3 or 4 formats that might sound irritatingly familiar ( Micro MV, Digital 8... UMD.. Minidisc is just about OK ... for now)

Why would anybody ( apart from the HD DVD alliace) want BD to fail ?? Is is because Sony is overpriced, disrespectful of its customers with its strongarm tactics . quick to withdraw support for commercially struggling ventures and greedy to share technology .. or because a certain no of "irrational" people want a well developed High Def format to fail .. for inexplicable reasons... ( or could this though be mere supposition on your part??) go figure....:rolleyes:

:rotfl: BluRay has been in a production for what - a couple of years - and is currently the second choice in every market other than Japan.

Betamax lasted twenty years and, despite failing in non-Japanese commercial markets, went on to become the professionals choice.

BluRay has got a very long way to go before it's as successful as Betamax.

Betamax and Betacam are not quite the same thing.

Betamax and Betacam are not quite the same thing.
Indeed - but I was making a general point that a format that only ceased production in 2002 after over twenty years of production can hardly be compared to less of a success than an optical format that is drowning in negative publicity after only 3 years.

If BR is going to overtake HD-DVD and become the HD format of choice, it doesn't need your help. :D

You mean like HD DVD doesn't need yours? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom