HD-DVD loaning among forum members

gilford

As a new taker to the HD-DVD world I have an idea to run by all the HD-DVD owners on this board :thumbsup:

Have any of you ever heard of a P.I.O. :confused:

Well, it is an idea that I have to help us HD-DVD owners watch the AMAZING films that are on offer without the need of blowing all our hard earned cash on a film that we only want to see as its in HD :eek:

It will go something like this -

All HD-DVD owners with a HD title and a good trader rating will post a list of what HD titles they have, if another member would like to watch the said title it will be posted (or as the nickname "pass it on") out to them, watched, and then posted back :clap:

This is a new idea I thought of last week and may go down like a ton of bricks :suicide: but for people like myself who really enjoy films but dont want the expense of paying £20 just to see the film in HD I think it would be a great idea :D

Some basic rules must apply. For instance -

DVD's must be sent, watched and returned in in a timely manner and kept in the condition they were received (noy used as coasters :rotfl: )

Must be sent out well packaged, etc etc etc.....

I have spoke to Stuart Wright about this over the weekend and have had his permission to get the ball rolling and to see if anyone would be interested in this idea. Hopefully, if it takes off, we could have a sticky and all contacts can be made within that thread.

Any ideas on this? Please feel free to post your interest or comments here.

I think if we could just get half a dozen people in the P.I.O. ring we could save £100 easily and still have the enjoyment out of this new found media :clap:

Thank you, and remember, any input is appreciated :thumbsup:

Marcus

I have read and agreed to abide by the AV Forums trading rules : Yes

C

chachi

Presumedly though everyone 'retains title' to the disc(s) they are circulating?

If so, my only suggestion would be to then keep a publically viewable thread getting updated weekly/whatever as titles change hands so there's no possible issue of "who has what" ;)

gilford

chachi said:
Presumedly though everyone 'retains title' to the disc(s) they are circulating?

If so, my only suggestion would be to then keep a publically viewable thread getting updated weekly/whatever as titles change hands so there's no possible issue of "who has what" ;)

My thoughts exactly!

I was thinking, if the member posted there list, all it would take then if the HD-DVD was passed on is for them to edit there post and put the members name next to the title? saves a long thread and once the dvd is returned just delete the name?

Cheers

Marcus

C

chachi

Ah, I thought you meant a central thread akin to:

user1: title1, title2 (user2), title3
user2: title4 (user3)
user3: title5 (user1)

meaning user1 'was borrowing' title5, user2 title2, and user3 title4 at present

gilford

I thought maybe like this -

Firewall - Chachi (sent 21/8/06)

Goodfellas - Urban T (sent 21/08/06)

Serenity - AVAILABLE

:confused: ....................................... :confused:

Whichever way you think is best though, you're the Moderator :clap:

C

chachi

Oh no you don't, it was your idea, you perfect it :)

Just strikes me if everyone had their own 'lending' thread it could get confusing with all the pure FS and FT threads ...

gilford

chachi said:
Oh no you don't, it was your idea, you perfect it :)
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My thoughts were to have the one thread but each member has a post within it with their films. that way if one member had say firewall but it was out on loan so to speak, you could scroll down to see if another member had it? At least that way you would be dealing with the owner of that title and also it would allow them to edit and update their own posts, keeping it all nice, clean and simple?

rover2002

Novice Member
I nearly fell of me seat with laughter after reading this thread:rotfl:
You can afford to buy an imported player but not the movies:rotfl:
Sorry to pop your bubble but if i paid 20 a pop for the movies (which i don't), hell would have to freeze over before i freely sent them to some stranger who might or might not return them.Then theres the high damage risk ect ect. .
Best of luck though, there are some gullible people out there thats for sure:smashin:

gilford

rover2002 said:
I nearly fell of me seat with laughter after reading this thread:rotfl:
You can afford to buy an imported player but not the movies:rotfl:
Sorry to pop your bubble but if i paid 20 a pop for the movies (which i don't), hell would have to freeze over before i freely sent them to some stranger who might or might not return them.Then theres the high damage risk ect ect. .
Best of luck though, there are some gullible people out there thats for sure:smashin:
Hence a good trader rating required to join :rolleyes:

Just because I can afford to import a player does not mean that I want to waste good money buying HD discs just for the sake of watching them once.

After this post can we have CONSTRUCTIVE views only please, like I said in the original post, if it goes down like a ton of bricks so be it but if not we can all be watching new HD films without the cost :clap:

Uruloke

What about someone who's never traded before? I might be interested. I'm maybe willing to send Syriana, The Manchurian Candidate, and Enter the Dragon on if I can get a look at the likes of Chronicles of Riddick, Goodfellas, The Last Samurai and Lethal Weapon. This would make a great 'try before you buy' sort of rental service, where all you have to pay is postage :)

Perhaps what you need first is a list of forum members with a list of the titles they are willing to pass on. Also, perhaps it would help if a permanent marker was used to mark the inside of the case with the original owners forum name so that when they got their copy back it is THEIR copy and not someone elses.

I'm definitely willing to pass on the following:

Enter the Dragon
The Manchurian Candidate
Syriana

rover2002

Novice Member
gilford said:
After this post can we have CONSTRUCTIVE views only please, like I said in the original post, if it goes down like a ton of bricks so be it but if not we can all be watching new HD films without the cost :clap:
Maybe you can explain who will reimburse the funds for discs stolen and scratched? is there some slush fund like a deposit to cover the said above issues?
I think its great you want to watch films for nothing, but the person thats sending them had to pay for them so maybe you should be easing there fears? or maybe you don't think thats important as long as you get your free movies?Sorry but without at least covering stolen/damaged discs your idea stands little to no chance of going enywhere.

Uruloke

rover2002, the discs will only be passed on to OTHERS who are passing on their discs. It's a risk I'm willing to take with the movies I'm not going to watch again and again.

gilford

Uruloke said:
I'm definitely willing to pass on the following:

Enter the Dragon
The Manchurian Candidate
Syriana

Thats great :clap: :clap:

So that is one.....

five more and I think we could get things going. Please remember that this is just a thread to express interest in my idea, I will work with the Moderators to try and get a sticky once we have enough people, or just a normal thread that I/we can update on a regular basis :thumbsup:

Thanks

gilford

rover2002 said:
Maybe you can explain who will reimburse the funds for discs stolen and scratched? is there some slush fund like a deposit to cover the said above issues?
I think its great you want to watch films for nothing, but the person thats sending them had to pay for them so maybe you should be easing there fears? or maybe you don't think thats important as long as you get your free movies?Sorry but without at least covering stolen/damaged discs your idea stands little to no chance of going enywhere.
at the end of the day the HD titles will be passed around on a TRUST basis, hence the need for a decent trader rating (or as in the above posters input, just trusting them). I for one am quite willing to trust people on here, if a trader with zero feedback wants to join in but someone is wary of sending on to them, just wait until it comes from them first :smashin:

I have traded on these boards for a while now and have received items worth hundreds of pounds on a bank transfer that has not even shown up in the members account, and have myself posted goods out without waiting for cheques to clear. Obviously I would not do this with you as you have a zero rating but if a member has 60 odd positives, its safe to say you will be ok. This is a community where people who share the same interests come and talk trade and sell AV related stuff and are not here to rip people off :thumbsdow

I'm only hoping for a small "click" with this as not many people own the players anyhow and again, if you are not interested in this idea could you please stop clogging the thread and leave it up to us people who are willing to try the system.

Thank you.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
i think it sounds a good idea, and could save people a lot of money ....

now all i need is a HD player and some movies ... when & if, i sell my arcam :D

gilford

hottstuff said:
Can people not just rent HD-DVD when it hits the market:confused:
I'm afraid us early adopters will not be able to if the regional coding kicks in, plus it will be a while yet before the UK launch :smashin:

rover2002

Novice Member
gilford said:
at the end of the day the HD titles will be passed around on a TRUST basis, hence the need for a decent trader rating (or as in the above posters input, just trusting them). I for one am quite willing to trust people on here, if a trader with zero feedback wants to join in but someone is wary of sending on to them, just wait until it comes from them first :smashin:

I have traded on these boards for a while now and have received items worth hundreds of pounds on a bank transfer that has not even shown up in the members account, and have myself posted goods out without waiting for cheques to clear. Obviously I would not do this with you as you have a zero rating but if a member has 60 odd positives, its safe to say you will be ok. This is a community where people who share the same interests come and talk trade and sell AV related stuff and are not here to rip people off :thumbsdow

I'm only hoping for a small "click" with this as not many people own the players anyhow and again, if you are not interested in this idea could you please stop clogging the thread and leave it up to us people who are willing to try the system.

Thank you.
Above 60 trader positives is a great idea.
Addressing peoples worrys is far from clogging your thread:) but its your thread and if healthy criticism is not wanted then so be it.
Best of luck with your movie sharing:)
Will.

Uruloke

gilford said:
I'm only hoping for a small "click" with this as not many people own the players anyhow.
Clique is the word you want mate. :smashin:

Sorry, I can be quite pedantic when I want to be! :hiya:

nictry

Although in principal I quite like the idea TBH I would prefer to just see more sales and wants of HD DVDs, if people did this with the limited no. of titles out there (and didn't try and charge over the odds) then it wouldn't take long for a regular HD-DVD sale to pop up on the forums for you to buy, watch and then resale, all for the cost of a padded envelope and som postage :D

I only have 3 HD-DVDs and am on the look out for more (managed to source one this week) and over time I hope to be buying more from the forums and selling those on that don't 'do it for me' after a viewing. I am also fortunate to be able to pick them up for sensible prices in the US and will pass those on via the sale threads once more titles come out, TBH though a swap type system just doesn't work for me, I like to take care of my titles and sending them back and forth at the mercy of royal mail seems a bit of a recipe for disaster :eek:

gilford

I think its a great idea due to the fact that we will only need about half a dozen people with a few films to basically see them all :)

I have on order Training Day, Goodfellas and hopefully Four Brothers (pending) so that will get the ball rolling, even if only a couple of people like my idea I could get to see £80 worth of films without paying for them and realising the film is great PQ but content is gash :(

Thanks for the feedback though, constructive :)

Cheers

nictry

gilford said:
I think its a great idea due to the fact that we will only need about half a dozen people with a few films to basically see them all :)

I have on order Training Day, Goodfellas and hopefully Four Brothers (pending) so that will get the ball rolling, even if only a couple of people like my idea I could get to see £80 worth of films without paying for them and realising the film is great PQ but content is gash :(

Thanks for the feedback though, constructive :)

Cheers
Yep very valid, only minor point is that the films equate to about £12-14 each from Amazon in the US (agreed without any p&p) so actually not much more than normal DVDs, I also think once the list gets bigger (which should be in the next few months) the demand will increase and the sales/wants should bump up too :smashin:

Good luck with the idea though

Marc

Perhaps it would make sense that every time you rent a title, you have to send £20 to the other person via BT and then once you return it, they send the £20 back. This would mean if the disc did get damaged, the lender would at least have money to replace it, and that people with good finances would be able to afford to 'rent' more at a time.

This also gets around the fact that it's illegal to rent out your purchased dvd/hd-dvd/blu ray discs, as you'll probably notice from all the NOT FOR RENTAL notices you get on these. If you were giving the 'lender' £20 each time, you're effectively buying it then returning it for a refund.

Of course this does open up a different bag of trust issues, but you're going to have those to contend with no matter how you decide to play it.

gilford

Marc said:
Perhaps it would make sense that every time you rent a title, you have to send £20 to the other person via BT and then once you return it, they send the £20 back. This would mean if the disc did get damaged, the lender would at least have money to replace it, and that people with good finances would be able to afford to 'rent' more at a time.

This also gets around the fact that it's illegal to rent out your purchased dvd/hd-dvd/blu ray discs, as you'll probably notice from all the NOT FOR RENTAL notices you get on these. If you were giving the 'lender' £20 each time, you're effectively buying it then returning it for a refund.

Of course this does open up a different bag of trust issues, but you're going to have those to contend with no matter how you decide to play it.
I see what you are saying but my whole thinking of this was to just get a few people together who trust each other and pass the discs around :cool:

I cant see how this is illegal in any way :confused: all we would be doing is effectively lending a friend a film, it would only be illegal if we were charging for the viewing of it surely :confused:

I dont really want to go down that arguement anyway ;)

Thanks for the constructive input :thumbsup:

PS Have you any HD titles you are willing to swap :confused: :smashin:

Marc

gilford said:
I cant see how this is illegal in any way :confused: all we would be doing is effectively lending a friend a film, it would only be illegal if we were charging for the viewing of it surely :confused:
copyright laws are a pain but loaning copyrighted material to a mate is technically an infringement, so loaning it to people you don't know, over the internet, and you find yourself on dodgy ground.. the forums have to be very careful not to be seen to be promoting copyright infringement.

Whether you want to go into that argument or not, it is in fact the most important and relevant argument in this case..

gilford said:
PS Have you any HD titles you are willing to swap :confused: :smashin:
not delved into HD yet.. still amazed at the quality of my dvd's in 720p so i think i'll give it a while longer yet :)

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I think you should buy all the hd-dvd titles you want and not swap them and not sell them on until the format has established itself properly.

Its either that or we are going to get shafted by Blu-ray for the next 20 years.

figrin_dan

gilford said:
I cant see how this is illegal in any way :confused: all we would be doing is effectively lending a friend a film,
AKA Distribution