HD-DVD is go for 2005.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gandley, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Toshiba has confirmed that there HD-DVD offerings will launch mid-late 2005 in the USA and Japan. They have 2 vey beautiful units availbable.
    A straight HD-DVD player and a recorder combi which has drop dead looks.

Price was always going to be the issue. well i dont think its that bad.
    the straight HD-DVD player will launch for a confirmed $1000 so expect a similar price here. HDMI looks to be a must though as it dosent look like the higher reolutions will be availble via component but im reading between the lines abit there

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html?tag=brand

watch the video to the right for a mini preview(after its done its advert rubish)

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    But who will buy one of these when the battle with blu-ray is just around the corner. It could end up being a big waste of money imo. I for certain will be waiting until we have a better idea as to which format will be more widely supported.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    The pics do look nice though ;)

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    your right the war in on, but at least it has started, Blue ray will be sure to make a response soon.
    Pioneer only showed 1 new dvd player and that was a midrange update. As a member of the blue ray group that dosent surprise me. Im sure there working on there blue ray release(as is the rumour).

One thing for sure though HDMI has found its feet. everything pretty much now has a HDMI input. DVDOs new scaler looks fantastic with multiple HDMI inputs for switching. It wall also convert analog signals to HDMI(transcode) so would realy cut down on cable work..(availble end fist Quarter 05)

Heres another Link with some great pics

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=492218

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I'm impressed that the first Toshiba HD-DVD recorder is only $1,000. What's that, less than £600. Far cheaper than Blu-Ray players that were the equivelent of $4,000 in Japan. Still $2,500 ish. I've been saying it for a while now, but it backs up my sentiments that there's no point spending big money on dvd recorders. Feel sorry for those that paid £1,300 for Panny's extremely overpriced 500 DMRE. Will be interesting to see if the HDD version is 1 Terabyte, and how much it will cost. When I bought my Pan 85, with 80GB hdd I thought that was pretty good. But 1,024! :clap:

I wonder whether hi-def recorders wil ever have HDMI inputs!? :confused:

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yes hidef recorder will have HDMI, infact theres a big wright up on one of the forums that says all current HD-recorders will be pretty much useless with future hardware (cant remember where i saw this but they were strongly recommending folks not to blow loads of money on current hardware.) Somthing to do with HDCP getting much stricter with future gear and only passing with HDCP compatable equipment.

So only buy a recorder if its recording side is also HDCP i guess.(thus HDMI needed or HDCP DVI to record HI-DEF content.)

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid the board screwed-up the URL, the show... should be showthread.php? .. damned silly text editor. :(

This is the correct URL, without the space before the '?':

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php ?threadid=492218

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Thanks m8 thread now sorted.

It looks like if it dont got HDMI then dont buy is starting to be a reality(or DVI with HDCP)

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I think all hdmi equipped gear is also HDCP compliant, just some DVI gear isn't. I'm only going to buy gear in the future that features HDMI.

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    The HD-DVD player will be $1000, the recorder I suspect will be quite a bit more than that...

Andy

11. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Is it likely that once the dust has settled,we could see players that feature HD DVD and Blu-Ray? (such as we have Sacd/DvdA players).

Dan :)

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    It says that the Toshiba behemoth recorder will be $1000, not the player. It looks to be about the same size as Sony's first Blu-ray recorder i.e. massive. Let's hope the upcoming Blu-ray recorders with the new 3-in-1 heads are rather more slimline. ;)

Steve

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Just out of interest, how much were the 1st dvd players when the format was released 1997? anyone know? $1,000 for a new format, that's also a recorder seems amazingly cheap to me, (relatively that is). Will HD-DVD players also record onto dvd formats?

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    Well the video featurette from CES says the player will be $1000 and the recorder more than that.. we'll see but I'd be surprised if the recorder is $1000 I must say!

Cheers
    Andy

15. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Funny, there's no mention of a player only HD-DVD in the text!? Just a recorder with, and without a HDD. Though, as you say he does say player in the video. Still, perhaps he made a mistake? or maybe the text is mis-leading and there are 3 models. A player, a recorder and a HDD recorder!?

Taken from the same page, (under the Tosh HD-DVD):

'The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability have finally been announced. The unit will be the first on sale to use the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time.'

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    Watch the video on the right of that page, in the video there's a player and a recorder and the bloke says the player is $1000 and the recorder more than that...

Andy

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Have edited my post. Either the text is right and there is a $1,000 recorder. Or it's misleading and there are 2 recorders and 1 player, or there's only 1 player and a hdd recorder. I have no idea now. :zonked: :confused:

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Funny thing is i was also just reading(dammit i must remember to note down the links) that there is a good chance Sony will now pull the plug on SACD to focus on blue ray. does this mean another failure for sony. There record isnt good when there trying to achieve a new format is it.
    It listed some of the reasons as the trouble there having producing the Hybrid discs and on top of that lack of consumer support.

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I can only imagine that Sony has lost a lot of money on SACD development. Blu-Ray has a better potential to make money it would seem. It's far easier to buy a new tv, than have an expensive 5.1 set up to take advantage of SACD. Also, there's a better chance that a software library will build up with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray formats imo. Also, it's a lot easier to see a visual improvement, than to hear it. I think.

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Guys and idea on when Pal version of these players are expected ?

21. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    If they lauch sept 2005 in usa then 1st quarter 2006 would be a good guess.
    But i reckon for a change it could be earlier, more like pre XMAS

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    gandley - thanks. If it does come out by then I know what my Christmas present will be !

23. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    A hefty credit card bill by any chance?

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    LOL - yeah that as well.

25. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    It's been suggested that the first players/recorders may be released near or around Sky's hi-def service 2006. Still, it might be later depending on whether they think there's a market for the product, how well people respond to Sky's service etc. I would suggest late 2006/7. Early 2006 being optimistic. :)

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Well DVD players were released towards the end of 96 in japan, I got a Tosh 3107 about a month before christmas that year, and then it would have been about March 97 when the were released in the States and I sold my Jap player and got a US one, in fact that may have been the Tosh and the Jap one a panasonic.
    Anyway, it was in mid 98 that they were released in the UK, and they were going to use Mpeg Audio rather than DD as the standard on Pal/Secam units, thank god that didn't take off! the point is it was over a year after the states and a couple of months short of two years after Japan got the first Players, so i would guess at least Q4 2006 for Pal Machines to appear.

To be honest though I will go for a US machine anyway, the whole 1080i and 720p @ 60Hz is going to be easier anyway and all my dvds are NTSC apart from ones bought for my daughter.

I hope it looks as good as D-Theater, bet it doesn't, but fingers crossed :)

27. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Me. :D :D :D

28. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    i dont want to spend to much on these new players so my first Blu ray player will be the PS3. and my first HD DVD will be a PC drive.

This way if one or the other fails you can still use what you have in another way. (PS3 as a games system and the PC drive as a drive)

Once the formats become more established and a winner is clear, thats when you fork out for a decent player.

By then you will see companies like Denon and Marantz favouring one format or the other and giving us amazing players.

Never buy a 1st generation player!

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    B0ll0CKS !

Always buy as soon as you can afford to, you could get run over whilst waiting for this stuff, or anything for that matter, never put off till tomorrow what you can do today as you may not be here tomorrow ;)

30. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Thats if the PS3 will play back hi def movies and not just be a blue ray disc reader to allow for bigger games. There is talk of different versions of the PS3 with the only the very top model being able to play back Hi def movies(which again will need HDMI).
    but thats rumour mill i must admit and probaly off the mark.(although in line with microsoft as well).

I take the points about release date but this time i think it will happen quicker. In the past first they release in japan then USA etc, this time the launch seems to be both USA and Japan for 2005