1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD-DVD HDMI/HDCP and CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonesthegas, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just read something on the US forum that has shocked me.

I am just about to buy a CRT from Roland. I am fully aware that HDMI connection between DVD player and video processor means no analogue output. Not a problem as I plan to go the SDI route.

However, there seems to be a belief that HD-DVD, when it comes out in about 2 years or so, will require HDMI output (or whatever it evolves into) and will therefore not be displayable on analogue technologies like a CRT.

Is this so? Will there be a way to get around this? Will SDI mods still be an option?

Martin

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    This is unknown. It is likely that there will be analogue HD outputs anyway to allow legacy devices like CRT projectors and CRT TV's to display HD.

Dependant on design of the decoders which eventually get used in these unspecified HD-DVD players there may be HD-SDI hacks available.

Gordon

3. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Gordon.

I feel a little happier. The thought of being locked out of HD-DVD in 2 years or so isn't pleasant.

I am getting a little annoyed by some of the posts on that forum. Many see CRT pjs as dead technology and not worth thinking about, despite the fact that so many still have CRTs and most believe it still gives the best PQ.

Martin

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Demand will dictate that a solution will be found. I'm sure of that.