1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD DVD, HDMI/DVI and the Panasonic PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JamesL, Feb 25, 2005.

1. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi guys,

I appreciate the title has probably made the verterans go :rolleyes: but it's probably not what you think so please read on! :)

I currently have the Panasonic PW7 (an excellent plasma) with HDMI and component boards.

Whilst HD DVD specs are still unconfirmed the rumour is that it will require a HDMI or DVI-HDCP connection on your screen. Now I understand the Panasonic PW6/7 are limited in this regard due to only being able to accept 50Hz PAL in SD (progressive) via the digital input. However the specs say it can cope with 60Hz NTSC in SD and High Def :clap:

My question then: as far as we know, given the limited info on HD DVD at present, is their any reason why importing a US HD DVD player would not work on the PW7? I appreciate:
    - I will need a voltage converter (something like this)
    - That the PW7 is only standard def so HD content will be scaled down inside the panel

My thinking is that HD DVD will probably be more tightly region locked than DVD, so buying a US player is probably a good idea/essential anyway. Especially as UK HD DVD probably won't launch for a good few months (perhaps a year?) after the US launch.

Any comments?

James

2. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    None whatsever, as I understand it. My plan is to import a NTSC/multiregion PAL PS3 with a HD Blu-ray DVD capability and then play imported US/Jap Blu-ray DVD's/games (which will probably be better original versions not port to PAL).

The only concern is regarding TV and that may be covered by an appropiate intermediary device that will convert 50hz to 60hz with minimal loss in PQ.

Thats my plan anyway :)

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    James
    Interesting post, couple of questions as I haven't really looked into this yet, but also have the pw7....firstly, which hd dvd player do you have in mind and secondly if they are going to be more tightly region locked will that mean you will need to import all of your hd dvds?
    cheers

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There's someone on the Hitachi thread says you can play PAL discs as NTSC, ie 60Hz. on a Panny S97 hdmi player. News to me, but it might be an easy way for you guys, try and check it out. I would, but run off my feet today.

5. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've got a S97 and it plays PAL as PAL60 i.e 60hz, you can the upscale to 720p or 1080i @ 60hz. To be honest, the picture seems slightly worse, I guess due to FRC and the panel downscaleing to native resolution. What would be interesting would be to get a NTSC disc as this would eliminate one of the conversion steps and then see what effect upscaling has.

G

6. stevomacca

stevomacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what about using a HTPC, would it play high def ok then?

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +342
    I have been playing HD video on my PW7 via VGA input and it looks superb.
    I was wondering myself, would I need a special DVD Rom to play HD DVD's and if so are they available yet, what price, where from?

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    lisa, I haven't got a pc in the same rooms as my pw7 but those hd microsoft downloads even look great on the tiny plasma!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    James and mep,

I intend to do this as well. HD DVD players from Toshiba should be available late this year - I intend to import one of the first from the US and use it as a "Region 1" HD DVD player. I see no reason why it should not work with the HDMI/DVI boards of the 6/7 series plasmas - after all it will be NTSC content, at a permitted resolution, in 60Hz. The only issue should be, as mentioned, the voltage conversion.

Obviously by importing a machine you would be limited to US discs - but I don't see that as a problem. For one the UK market is bound to drag behind the US one for a least a couple of years. Secondly the type of content that will be released will be mainstream movies: these are the same in the US or UK. By the time 'UK specific' content appears I will have a new Plasma and (presumably) some form of HD DVD multi-region machine (or, if not, simply two machines: one R1 and one R2).

Whatever it will mean I get HD DVD now (end of the year) as opposed to waiting for the UK launch.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    :thumbsup: thanks rasczak

11. the f plan

the f plan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Panasonic S97 is already available and upscales standard def DVDs - as do other models from Denon and Samsung among others. I think the original poster was interested in the compatibility issue with US High Definition players due later this year. For a standard def plasma like the PW7 it is probably best NOT to use upscaling as the screen would just have to reverse this process.