1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD,DVD, Freeview and Upscaling in one unit.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Northerner76, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi

I am looking for a hard-disk(50GB+), dvd recorder (not really bothered what formats) with built in digital tuner and the capability to upscale to 720p via HDMI output - ideally the playback of DVD's would also be top-drawer (minimum as good as my current Pioneer 656A).

So far I have found the Philips DVR9000H and Sony RDRHXD1010 - just wondered if any users here had any feedback from using these models (mainly quirks/issues, features not advertised but useful, how good is DVD playback/upscaling..etc)
    I have also considered a slim line media centre PC (such as an Elonex) but would it offer comparable performane to the models outlined above (specially in the DVD upscaling).

Cheers folks.

2. Pedro_the_Fox

Pedro_the_Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking for a similar spec DVD recorder as I've just got myself a new LCD TV, so I'm looking for something to exploit the HD potential of the set :thumbsup:

I was favouring the Sony RDRHXD910, but then I heard reports of the widescreen bug in which the player didn't record in widescreen in certain recording formats. I'm also wondering if this is the case for the Sony RDRHXD1010. So any clarification about this issue will be much appreciated!

Thanks for the info about philips, I didn't know about the machine, so I'll have a look at the spec's now.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Guys, if you are using a Plasma or LCD TV i would not concern myself about upscaling in any shape or form. The TV has to do this anyway so there is really no advantage to be had from a so called HD upscaling DVD player.
    DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! :smashin:

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'm not sure that blanket statement works for all combinations.
    If you can, find somewhere (Sony centre?) where they will hook the unit (910) and say a 710, and bring a few DVDs with you.
    As for widescreen recording issue - it'll be recorded no problem on the HDD in widescreen format. It might be the format chosen +RW/-RW that has the problem, or +R/-R when archiving from the HDD. Do a bit more research after you see whether the 910's playback looks any better than the 710's.
    Make sure to play with the settins on each, so they are the same, and use component (if you can) on the 710.
    You should be able to see then if the upscaler in the 910 and HDMI makes for a better argument.

5. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers folks - I guess there is no real substitute for time in front of the screen.

6. Pedro_the_Fox

Pedro_the_Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the info.