HD-dvd drive vs standard dvd

How would you rate the hd-dvd drives picture quality ?

• Awesome...much better than DVD.

Votes: 69 51.5%
  • Not bad...a little better than DVD.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • hmmm...depends on the movie.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I'd tell you if I could flippin' get one !

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
I voted for the second option,
it's better than standard dvd,
but it aint "the look and sound of perfect" they claim !!! :D

I voted for option 1. HD-DVD looks lurvley

I also like that trailer on Warner discs that starts up as soon as you press play. You know the one I mean? The one that tells us how good the HD-DVD format is - six times the resolution and so on.

Oh, and how the movie plays as soon as you put in a dvd. Er, hello, if that was the case I'd be watching the bloody movie wouldn't I?

Marketing people, they lie!

And maybe that's why some people have been disappointed. No offence meant but maybe expectations have been raised to an unrealistic level.

For me HD isn't a revolution in home entertainment but a steady evolution.

Since HDDVD trounces SkyHD then beating DVD is a no brainer... It's as perfect a picure as you're going to get at the moment without some seriously expensive kit.

My only niggle is the way it forces 60hz - we're not used to jerky picture syndrome in the UK like they are in the US, and not all the hardware over here has the ability to counteract it.

btw. for the warner disks just select next chapter and it'll skip the rubbish at the start.

I have read that hd-dvd is better than sky hd but in my experience sky hd varies greatly with some movies bearly looking any better than standard definition.

Had a quick look at Kong via our old Hitachi 42 inch plasma. Awesome. The amount of detail in the picture is fantastic. This is the first time I have seen HD DVD and I am impressed.

Down the home cinema I have standard DVD upscaled to 720p. I'll have to take the 360 down there for a try out.

Option 1 for me.
On the right display @ 1080i the picture IS x6 better IMO.
Cant wait to see the HD-XE1 handle it.:thumbsup:

Just think, in 20-30 years I bet we'll have a technology that looks like real-life and compared to it, HD will look like old B & W movies look to us now. That's the effect of progress. Every few years something newer and better comes along.

Gae

I voted for Awesome, as I think it is a lot better than SD :thumbsup:

However the wow factor does seem to vary with the film too. :D I think a combination of a good film which is visually very stunning and the HD treatment is the key. neither one on their own is enough.. :devil:

If we carry on getting new releases such as SR, FF Tokyo Drift on HD-DVD soon after general release, I'm not going to buy SD again.... :smashin:

Well unless I have too :D

Well I voted for the last option.I'm all geared up,both on the computer and in the living room,but with no where to go.

I have SKY-HD and am impressed,at times it has been outstanding.Although I think if Sky really want to sell their HD service they need to up those bit rates.Anything below 19/20 is just not good enough.Now would someone kindly tell me what the bit rate is for HD-DVD.I've heard everything from 24 to 35.What exactly is HD-DVD capable of?

I voted for option 1.:thumbsup:

Any doubters out there should buy 'The Searchers' on HD-DVD. Not only is it one of the greatest westerns ever made but the HD transfer from the VistaVision film is unbelievably good. Even though the film was released in 1956, the picture quality rivals - and betters - many much newer releases.

I have SKY-HD and am impressed,at times it has been outstanding.Although I think if Sky really want to sell their HD service they need to up those bit rates.

The differences of HD picture quality is amazing on Sky.Some channels barely equal SD with their transmissions but some,are usually stunning most of the time ie nat geo,discovery and History(which has the best pictures imho).

I would love to see direct picture comparisons between sky hd vs hd-dvd vs dvd to make my mind up cos at this moment im not fussed either way.

Just think, in 20-30 years I bet we'll have a technology that looks like real-life and compared to it, HD will look like old B & W movies look to us now. That's the effect of progress. Every few years something newer and better comes along.

Gae

I think the next best thing will have to be holographic projection, not much else can be done with 2D in my opinion.

I think 3D will be the next step up.

As for the vote, top option for me, I think the improvement is rather large, and finally lets us see why we bought these HDTVs' in the first place :D

You forgot the option, "Will let you know after Christmas day".
Unfortunately mine's packed away under the tree :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom