HD-DVD Drive install, do I need to put the disc in that comes with it first?

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
As subject, before I connect a HD-DVD drive to my elite will I need to insert the disc that comes with it or will all the necessary software already have been downloaded with the latest firmware update?

Yes, run the disk, it will install the sotware and then ask you to connnect te device.

As subject, before I connect a HD-DVD drive to my elite will I need to insert the disc that comes with it or will all the necessary software already have been downloaded with the latest firmware update?

Latest firmware update will be sufficient :smashin:

mmmm, so which one's right lol? I think I'll just connect it and see what happens...

The software will be in the hard drive so you can just connect it (assming it is the same hard drive you used on the premium or you transfered the data)

Nope, it's my new elite console with the new 120GB HDD. And I've only bought the HD-DVD drive today. I assume that means I need to use the disc then?

Nope, it's my new elite console with the new 120GB HDD. And I've only bought the HD-DVD drive today. I assume that means I need to use the disc then?

Have you updated your Elite on Live yet? If so, don't worry about the disc.

I believe the HD-DVD updates are seperate from the firmware updates. Usually when you put an HD-DVD in the drive if an update is needed it will be dowloaded over Live. Whatever updates are on the disc they probably aren't the latest ones anyway depending on when that particular drive was manufactured.

I think as long as you are connected to Xbox Live, then it will do all the updates upon first play of a HD DVD. I never inserted my disc that I got with my HD DVD drive and it all appeared fine as soon as I connected it up.

I believe the HD-DVD updates are seperate from the firmware updates. Usually when you put an HD-DVD in the drive if an update is needed it will be dowloaded over Live. Whatever updates are on the disc they probably aren't the latest ones anyway depending on when that particular drive was manufactured.

Weird, because i've never, ever updated my HDDVD

Thanks guys, in the end I did what it said in the instruction book and put the disc in, it then asked me to connect the HD-DVD drive and everything looks ok. Got a bit of a bargain there, £79.99 pre-owned from Gamestation with 12 months warranty and Apollo 13 HD-DVD for £14.99 so £95 for the HD-DVD drive and Apollo 13, can't argue with that!

Weird, because i've never, ever updated my HDDVD

I have at least twice and I always keep my firmware up to date. Maybe you did and just don't remember it. It's a pretty quick and easy process and easy to miss or forget about.

Thanks guys, in the end I did what it said in the instruction book and put the disc in, it then asked me to connect the HD-DVD drive and everything looks ok. Got a bit of a bargain there, £79.99 pre-owned from Gamestation with 12 months warranty and Apollo 13 HD-DVD for £14.99 so £95 for the HD-DVD drive and Apollo 13, can't argue with that!

Nice one :smashin:

I have at least twice and I always keep my firmware up to date. Maybe you did and just don't remember it. It's a pretty quick and easy process and easy to miss or forget about.

Yeah, knowing me I probably absent mindedly updated thinking it was for the dash or something :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom