• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HD DVD Drive & Component Question

!TIMMY!

Established Member
I am getting the HD DVD Drive for the 360 but am wondering this. When I play normal DVD's on the HD DVD Drive, am I right in thinking that the HD DVD drive will NOT upscale it through component to my HD TV?

Also will the HD Drive play Region 1 & 2 normal DVD's?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I am getting the HD DVD Drive for the 360 but am wondering this. When I play normal DVD's on the HD DVD Drive, am I right in thinking that the HD DVD drive will NOT upscale it through component to my HD TV?

I think you are right, through component it wont upscale to 1080 iirc
And the Drive will only playback Region 2 me thinks as the machine is region locked but it will play American HD DVD's as they are not region locked.

You may wanna post this in the HD-DVD Player Forum for more answers :thumbsup:

Deftones82

!TIMMY!

Established Member
Cheers for the reply. I have the old skool Premium so no HDMI :( and I connect the sound via optical to my 5.1 system. Can I plug in the vga cable and still use the sound from optical out of the component cable to get the HD Drive to upscale normal DVD's?

Just Me

Established Member
The VGA lead has an optical out connection as well ;) btw, the HD DVD player doesnt do the upscaling, the Xbox does that, the HD DVD player only reads the discs

!TIMMY!

Established Member
The VGA lead has an optical out connection as well ;) btw, the HD DVD player doesnt do the upscaling, the Xbox does that, the HD DVD player only reads the discs

Oh, sweet. So if I use the vga cable I can watch region 2 DVD's in 5.1 via optical and upscaled.

beasty54

Distinguished Member

All you need to know is that the HD-DVD drive works EXACTLY the same as the 360s DVD drive. Other than the obvious it does nothing different because its simply a bare drive.

!TIMMY!

Established Member
Cheers for the replies, ill be using the vga cable then.

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
Your HDTV will do the upscaling anyway, so it makes no difference whether you use component/VGA as the TV will do the upscaling.

The better the TV = better upscaling as this is one of the cost cutting areas of cheaper TV's, they don't put a decent scaler chip in.

Chris.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom