HD DVD Discs That Look Fantastic On OLED

The Limey

Reaction score
A nostalgia thread. For those of us who still have HD DVDs, it is good to be able to see how they look on OLED, 9 years after the format's death. In the age of UHD, there is still life in the dead HD format.
I have chosen Tarantino's Death Proof to start and the below caps are from an Onkyo HD-805 playing onto my LG G6v:

5RTETd.jpg

DPV3HK.jpg

h5lJxC.jpg

FzJyqE.jpg

DWhPxL.jpg

4ATrqT.jpg

LGkdwa.jpg

P56ynM.jpg

I've still got a good collection of them. Always preferred them over Blu-ray to be honest.

Sold my Movies n players ages ago. Fun format was Even a few Movies out after it died out.

I've still got a good collection of them. Always preferred them over Blu-ray to be honest.
I have over 100 discs.

At the time HDDVD was considered to be technically superior to Blu-Ray.

HDDVD was effectively killed off by the major studios opting to release films on Blu-Ray with 'encouragement' from Sony.

I have over 100 discs.

At the time HDDVD was considered to be technically superior to Blu-Ray.

HDDVD was effectively killed off by the major studios opting to release films on Blu-Ray with 'encouragement' from Sony.

I had plenty of HDDVDs back in the day but it's simply incorrect to say it was technically superior to bluray. It maxed out at 25mbit if memory serves, whilst BD can handle 50mbit. HDDVD had slightly nicer menus, but that's about it. BDs hold more data than HDDVDs too.

I had plenty of HDDVDs back in the day but it's simply incorrect to say it was technically superior to bluray. It maxed out at 25mbit if memory serves, whilst BD can handle 50mbit. HDDVD had slightly nicer menus, but that's about it. BDs hold more data than HDDVDs too.

Back in 2007, HDDVD had superior interactive capability, superior SD additional features, the discs were cheaper to manufacture, and they were region free.

The following article from February 2007 makes interesting reading.

http://gizmodo.com/238336/frankenfight-blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-formats-not-equal

Who knows what nine years of further development would have resulted in for the HDDVD format.

I've just watched Shooter HD DVD on my B6 / EP35 and the picture quality was fantastic. It played faultlessly, no glitches just great PQ and a great film too :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom