HD-DVD cases vs DVD cases

discostewart

Novice Member
A short and simple question for those of you lucky enough to own some HDDVDs. Are the HDDVD cases the same size and shape as classic DVD cases. In other words are the old and new formats going to sit together side by side nicely or look odd ?

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Smaller, thinner and with rounded edges.

Some have a fiddly catch as well.

I think they look crap.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
In other words are the old and new formats going to sit together side by side nicely or look odd ?
They don't sit together (neatly) I'm afraid.

BluRay and HD DVD cases have the same physical dimensions (we should be greatful for that) and they are the same width as a DVD case. However they are approximately 2cm shorter and only two thirds as deep.

Note that some UK releases are in cases that are of equal thickness to a standard DVD. This can look a little tacky though as on some releases (Sony BluRay ones!!!) they have just 'stretched' the graphics on the spine to fit onto the wider UK cases. This looks really gash.

Many HMVs are now stocking the discs if you want to take a look...

Cheekster

What I find disappointing is that even though HD-DVD is a premium format they don't include a nice informative booklet, about the movie, inside as with SD dvd releases. At best you get a single sheet with movie poster on one side and some 'also available' titles listed on the reverse. Pants! :(

Cheekster.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom