HD DVD/ Blu-Ray any better than Sky HD?

LCR_Dave

definatly mate, its a higher bitrate normally, some stuff will look the same though and sky doesnt do 1080p :(

scgf

Depends. In my experience there is often very little difference. I am watching on 42" Hitachi Plasma monitor. To my eyes a lot of the material shown on BBC HD and Sky Movies HD look as good as HD-DVD on my Toshiba HD-A1. I have also seen HD-DVDs which look poorer than some Sky/BBC HD material.

There again, if you have an enormous screen or project to large sizes you might see a difference. Plenty claim they see all sorts of digital artefacts in pictures from Sky HD. I have never seen anything like this.

danvitale

Your results will be dependant on your TV...

If you have a plasma that has a res of 1024 x 768 then of course they'll look similar.. if you have a proper HD set (and thus can display HD signals at its minimum HD res (720p/1080i) then its easy to see how much of a big step up HD-DVD and BluRay is on SkyHD (about four times the bandwidth).

scgf

My Hitachi panel has a resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels at 1080i. It has no digital inputs which, IMHO, is one reason why it offers the best HD picture I have seen anywhere. There is a complete lack of digital nasties either on Sky HD or HD-DVD. The picture has a superbly detailed analog look to it.

On this panel there is little difference between a good Sky HD picture and a good HD-DVD picture.

HeweyBoy101

Your results will be dependant on your TV...

If you have a plasma that has a res of 1024 x 768 then of course they'll look similar.. if you have a proper HD set (and thus can display HD signals at its minimum HD res (720p/1080i) then its easy to see how much of a big step up HD-DVD and BluRay is on SkyHD (about four times the bandwidth).

Yeah ... but outright resolution is only part of the story. Other factors also have a huge impact on quality, namely picture processing, scaling, de-interlacing etc. It is quite possible to have a 1080 resolution screen which with inferior processing, which will look worse than a 720 panel with excellent processing. Just having a so-called "proper HD" set with 1080 resolution is no guarantee of a better picture at all. That is before we get into screen size and viewing distance.

My view, all things being equal, is that HD DVD / Blu-ray is generally a better picture, but Sky HD is often not THAT far behind. In the case of BBC HD there is really nothing to choose. Audio however on the HD disc formats is far ahead of the DD broadcast by Sky or BBC.

bigtim

My Hitachi panel has a resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels at 1080i. It has no digital inputs which, IMHO, is one reason why it offers the best HD picture I have seen anywhere. There is a complete lack of digital nasties either on Sky HD or HD-DVD. The picture has a superbly detailed analog look to it.

On this panel there is little difference between a good Sky HD picture and a good HD-DVD picture.

Doh. The input sources are still digital, they've just been converted to analog to pass to your panel, which has then re-digitised to scale and display. In theory they don't have to be deinterlaced as you have an interlaced display but I imagine they have been deinterlaced before being scaled and then reinterlaced.

Difficult to see how this would improve the picture compared to a digital input?

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I watch Sky HD on a 50" TV and it looks pretty decent, although the audio dropouts on Sky Sports HD get on my nerves :mad:

I watch HD-DVD and BD movies through a projector and they look fantastic:smashin:

danvitale

Have to agree with you regarding the SkyHD audio dropouts, but thats another story I guess.

And cheers Heweyboy for the reply. Completely forgot about that stuff when I posted my initial response.

thornton

I have now got 5 HD-DVDs and a Tosh E1 playing through a Panny PV-500. I have yet to see a DVD that matches the quality of some of the BBC HD broadcasts such as Planet Earth/Sessions/Later.., but the HD-DVDs seem better than a lot of the material coming through Sky-One HD (with HD material). Although this is a bit subjective and limited (I do not have a 1080p source or screen, and a relatively small 37in screen), I think right now the theoretical advantage of HD-DVD is being overtaken by the quality of the source material in many cases. I certainly did not think "WOW" when I plugged in the E1, having just watched a preview of Bleak House on BBC HD.

mjw1999

I have sky hd displayed on my 104" screen using a 1080p projector and find sky hd really poor in comparison to bluray. i would go as far to say that a well mastered dvd even though lower res, is better quality than sky hd in terms of colour and less artifects that sky hd has such as blocking. add to this that the sound on sky hd IMO in inferior to bluray and dvd then i would opt for bluray everytime.
Since buying my PS3 i no longer watch skymovies hd as they just dont cut it in terms of quality, its just there for sports now.
This judgment as allready mentioned is dependent on the equipment you are using. if you are using a rubbish display and surround system,they all will look and sound the same.

Will Scarlet

Although this is a bit subjective and limited (I do not have a 1080p source or screen, and a relatively small 37in screen), I think right now the theoretical advantage of HD-DVD is being overtaken by the quality of the source material in many cases. I certainly did not think "WOW" when I plugged in the E1, having just watched a preview of Bleak House on BBC HD.

I don't understand this comment at all.:confused: Given most of the source material for Bluray/HD-DVD is film based, and that film has a higher resolution than 1080p, why on earth would the quality of the source material be an issue?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I have sky hd displayed on my 106" screen using a 1080p projector and find sky hd really poor in comparison to bluray. i would go as far to say that a well mastered dvd even though lower res, is better quality than sky hd in terms of colour and less artifects that sky hd has such as blocking. add to this that the sound on sky hd IMO in inferior to bluray and dvd then i would opt for bluray everytime.
Since buying my PS3 i no longer watch skymovies hd as they just dont cut it in terms of quality, its just there for sports now.
This judgment as allready mentioned is dependent on the equipment you are using. if you are using a rubbish display and surround system,they all will look and sound the same.

Interesting. I know from personal experience that the Pearl video processing introduces some artefacts when fed 1080i signal. :( I recorded Starwars ROTS from Sky HD recently and the image is stunning and on par with decent Blu-ray titles in the main. Also some of the video based material on from BBCHD looks stunning even on the big screen.

The problem with Skyhd or the HD disc formats is you still get garbage in garbage out even in hi def. Some stuff looks great on SkyHD some doesn't. :)

AVI

mjw1999

ok lets take ROTS for an example. on sky hd you are getting a higher res in comparison to DVD but there is blocking artifects especially in the darker moments of the film. If the image is going to turn blocky and pixelate because of limited bandwidth then this is unaceptable for somthing which is supposed to be HD. The ROTS dvd on the other hand has les res which is noticable when doing a direct comparrison but what is much nicer to my eyes is the coulers are much richer and punchier and the sound knocks sky hd into touch. My point is that SOMTIMES the full experience(sound and vision of a movie) can be just as good on DVD when compared to SKYHD.
I accept its all down to the mastering of discs and broadcasts, but sky movies HD's limiting factor is sky criple the bandwidths to somthing which IMO unacceptable resulting in less quality.
One last point. I still have Pirates OTC on my skyhd drive and this is still the best PQ i've seen on a movie broadcast on my sky system, far better PQ than standard dvd could ever hope for. This was because the bbc use a much higher bitrate than sky movies hd. The big thing that was missing though was a DD soundtrack which is quite a big sacrifice for great PQ. Sky HD is a great system and has great potential, but is limited by sky themselfs who dont want to use this potential.
finally IMO to get great HD PQ and Great sound look no further than Bluray or HDDVD.

Avi

Distinguished Member
ok lets take ROTS for an example. on sky hd you are getting a higher res in comparison to DVD but there is blocking artifects especially in the darker moments of the film. If the image is going to turn blocky and pixelate because of limited bandwidth then this is unaceptable for somthing which is supposed to be HD. The ROTS dvd on the other hand has les res which is noticable when doing a direct comparrison but what is much nicer to my eyes is the coulers are much richer and punchier and the sound knocks sky hd into touch. My point is that SOMTIMES the full experience(sound and vision of a movie) can be just as good on DVD when compared to SKYHD.

Sorry I can't agree. My R1 ROTS DVD via SDI transport to Lumagen to 1080 pj looks poor relative to SkyHD copy. I haven't noticed any significant aretfacts that you mention on the Sky HD version of ROTS. Can you provide some example scenes and I'll take another look?

I agree that bandwidth can be a limitation of SkyHD hence the garbage in gargabe out comment in my earlier post.

AVI

Steve Zodiac

I've a HD-DVD player and even though the PQ is excellent, I've been more 'impressed' by some of the BBC HD content. I thought it was just me, but it appears that a few others feel the same as well.

I read a while ago (on here) that this is due to the way some satellite HD is filmed, or perhaps I should say videoed. I don't think there was an explanation in the post or thread.

Perhaps the situation would change with a True HD (or whatever the term is) 1920x1080p screen?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I've a HD-DVD player and even though the PQ is excellent, I've been more 'impressed' by some of the BBC HD content. I thought it was just me, but it appears that a few others feel the same as well.

I read a while ago (on here) that this is due to the way some satellite HD is filmed, or perhaps I should say videoed. I don't think there was an explanation in the post or thread.

Perhaps the situation would change with a True HD (or whatever the term is) 1920x1080p screen?

Steve

"Video" and "film" material have a very different look. The HD stuff you often see in stores demoing HD displays is usually video based. Much of the stuff I've seen on BBC HD has been video material rather than film. Most movies are film based. :)

I do believe the disc formats are consistently better but Sky HD can be very, very good even when projected on a big screen with a native 1920x1080 res.

AVI

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom