HD-DVD - Best through VGA or Component?

Right, just run my own test using an official VGa cable, and an official VGA one on my Samsung.

Now, unless I'm imagining it, component looks noticably better. I've been trying to work out how to describe it looks better, but can't put my finger on what it is. It just seems more film-like. Everything seems more 3d with the component. I'll try swapping it back over tomorrow when I'm more awake, but component just seems 'better'.

Anyone else care to try?

With VGA the bars are probably 30% bigger and the picture on a 32'' look very small hense why it helped me to stick with Component

The Component overscans so that you don't see the full picture. This would also make the black bars look a bit smaller. Personally i'd prefer to see the full picture and have slightly larger black bars.

Does Component do 1080p OK for HDDVD's?

im a vga fan after using thx optimiser it looks just fine.

I'm for definite a component fan, vga just didn't look anywhere near as vibrant on my sammy lcd

The Component overscans so that you don't see the full picture. This would also make the black bars look a bit smaller. Personally i'd prefer to see the full picture and have slightly larger black bars.

Yes, as well as getting smaller black bars you are also getting some of the sides chopped off; thanks to the overscan :mad:

Component only does 1080i for HD-DVD's, 1080p is reserved for VGA only.

I have tried both, but haven't completely decided yet.

I thought Componant looked better.

i played with a couple of weekends back when i got the HD Drive. On the one hand VGA looked sharper, but on the other it looked more washed out. I calabrated my VGA port with an AVIA disk but I couldn't get the colour to a level that i liked. So now its componant only.

My panel wont do 1080p.

Gary

Any idea by how much it overscans?

I'm trying it again later, but like I say, I can't escape the fact that, to me, it looks much nicer through component. Problem is it won't upscale SD-DVD and I haven't played any games through component since VGA started to look better.

I think the problem is that Component suits Video and VGA suits Games.
Component is rich and dark, whereas VGA is light and crisp.

The difference with regard to overscan is quite noticable on my display, far more picture is viewable over VGA; not particularly important bits of the picture, but picture nonetheless.

I think the problem is that Component suits Video and VGA suits Games.
Component is rich and dark, whereas VGA is light and crisp.

The difference with regard to overscan is quite noticable on my display, far more picture is viewable over VGA; not particularly important bits of the picture, but picture nonetheless.

See I find component just as sharp as VGA, though I'm wondering if it's all in my head. I'm interested in just how much picture you lose with component, guess I'll see later.

See I find component just as sharp as VGA, though I'm wondering if it's all in my head. I'm interested in just how much picture you lose with component, guess I'll see later.
you could lose anything from about 5%-10% depending on how much your tv overscans.
1080p,better quality,sharper picture,more natural colours,and no overscan swung it in favour for vga for me.
IMO,component is a saturated mess,and in fairness,some people like it,but i cant stand it,but its up to the individuals taste...and theres no accounting for some peoples tastes..:D :D
EDIT:saying that though,my wii looks pretty good through component,not as overcoloured as the 360,just left on stock settings it looks fine,whereas the 360,just looks wrong,no matter what adjustments are made.

you could lose anything from about 5%-10% depending on how much your tv overscans.
1080p,better quality,sharper picture,more natural colours,and no overscan swung it in favour for vga for me.
IMO,component is a saturated mess,and in fairness,some people like it,but i cant stand it,but its up to the individuals taste...and theres no accounting for some peoples tastes..:D :D

Which screen are you using? I think that makes the biggest difference as to which looks best.

It's component for me on my display (see below).

People are reporting all over that VGA is crap and a picture comparison has appeared on the AVS forum altho a little blurred you can definately see the difference.

Also it looks like part of the colourspace is missing from the VGA, hence the washed out, less sharp appearance along with sync issues.

Major nelsons site has reported that Ms is working on a fix, let hope it works.

It's component for me on my display (see below).

People are reporting all over that VGA is crap and a picture comparison has appeared on the AVS forum altho a little blurred you can definately see the difference.

Also it looks like part of the colourspace is missing from the VGA, hence the washed out, less sharp appearance along with sync issues.

Major nelsons site has reported that Ms is working on a fix, let hope it works.

Got a link to the AVS thread?

If you read the entire thread you see that the majority agree with component giving the best results!

Well mine was set via VGA and I have just tried it via component on my Panasonic PX600 and I have to say there was a big improvement. VGA was washed out and didn't have any wow factor despite trying various adjustments with colour, contrast etc and all in all I couldn't see any improvement from SD DVD, thankfully component does show a big improvement.

Daz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom