HD-DVD - Best through VGA or Component?

I think its more case of people using 3rd party vga cables. I got an official one yesterday and wasnt initially blown away. But after playing for an hour using vga, then goign stragith back to component vga is so much sharper

Well I finally got my replacement Sony 40W2000 this morning and have spent all morning swapping cables and tweaking settings, for me VGA is the best option. It has more detail overall and has natural colours from the start (good job as you can't change them much on this set through VGA). There isn't a great deal in it truth be told but with component it needs a fair bit of tweaking to get it looking decent. The colours are way too vivid (almost cartoon like) so I knock these back. With the component input though you do get a lot more settings to mess around with, although these are only really "processing" the picture further. However for some films I found that you could get some pretty interesting results which looked pretty funky in their own way. In the end though I've stuck with VGA for the moment, it just edges it in detail. For example in scenes from The Chronicles of Riddick his goggles can be totally blacked out (in shadow) on component but VGA reveals more detail, such as the edge of the lense...

Films I have been testing with are for the most part, King King, Chronicles of Riddick, Batman Returns and MI3. I've also got MI, MI2, Bourne Supremacy, Troy, The Thing and Supermans Returns to test\view but there's only so much time in the day!

Note to others with the same set, using the Auto Adjustment for the VGA setting sometimes changes the phase to minimum. If you then look closely at the screen this will have introduced a "shimmer" which obviously isn't ideal!

I have the same Sony TV running MI3 and King Kong on my Xbox HD Drive. First thing I watched was MI3 in 1080p over (Official MSoft) VGA - as this was my first experience of HD video I wasn't that impressed with the jump from SD. Pictures seemed a bit dull and not as crisp or wow factor as I was expecting.

Switching to (Official MSoft) Component at 1080i everything bursts to life - the same scenes look far more vivid with greater clairty and depth.

I'm keen to get my VGA and Component settings tweaked to get them looking better - can you help out your settings advice JJ?

FYI my Component settings from playing around are:

Backlight 3
Contrast 55
Brightness 45
Colour 52
Colour Temperature Neutral
Sharpness 7
Noise Reduction Off

Colour Space Normal
Clear White Low

All other Advanced Settings are Off

VGA settings are

Backlight 2
Contrast 53
Brightness 46
Colour Temperature Warm1

Many thanks in advance :)

Anyone with a Panasonic PX60 have views on this?

For the life of me I just can't get a decent pic over VGA now, I'm sure its the MS update from a couple of months ago thats causing it...any news from MS on this?

Dunno, its strange, It looks a little like my old LG PX4D after the fall update. Before then the PX4D looked incredible (relative to component). Then it just went to pieces....and then VGA was broken completely on that set after the update last month....

Would really like to get VGA to an acceptable pic, anyone got any settings for the PX60 to try?

thank you :)

Anyone with a Panasonic PX60 have views on this?

For the life of me I just can't get a decent pic over VGA now, I'm sure its the MS update from a couple of months ago thats causing it...any news from MS on this?

Dunno, its strange, It looks a little like my old LG PX4D after the fall update. Before then the PX4D looked incredible (relative to component). Then it just went to pieces....and then VGA was broken completely on that set after the update last month....

Would really like to get VGA to an acceptable pic, anyone got any settings for the PX60 to try?

thank you :)

Looks like the Panasonics like the component connection and LG VGA from what i have read.

I have the same Sony TV running MI3 and King Kong on my Xbox HD Drive. First thing I watched was MI3 in 1080p over (Official MSoft) VGA - as this was my first experience of HD video I wasn't that impressed with the jump from SD. Pictures seemed a bit dull and not as crisp or wow factor as I was expecting.

Switching to (Official MSoft) Component at 1080i everything bursts to life - the same scenes look far more vivid with greater clairty and depth.

I'm keen to get my VGA and Component settings tweaked to get them looking better - can you help out your settings advice JJ?

FYI my Component settings from playing around are:

Backlight 3
Contrast 55
Brightness 45
Colour 52
Colour Temperature Neutral
Sharpness 7
Noise Reduction Off

Colour Space Normal
Clear White Low

All other Advanced Settings are Off

VGA settings are

Backlight 2
Contrast 53
Brightness 46
Colour Temperature Warm1

Many thanks in advance :)

You certainly can get a more vivid picture on component but for me it's not very life like. For some films though such as Riddick and Tokyo Drift you can get some great results. I've got the component lead on the tv downstairs at the moment, but here's my current VGA settings for now:

Backlight: 3
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Colour Temp: Warm1

With the colours set as I like them on component and sharpness set low\none there really isn't a great deal of difference between the two apart from the slightly better detail in the blacks that I found with VGA. With this and VGA running at 60Hz I decided to stick with that. On component you can up the sharpness and colours to get a "wow factor" picture but it doesn't look real to me, a tad over processed if you will. However for some films (as above) it does work quite well due to the style of the film... One thing I might go back and look at is 720p as it has just dawned on me that I haven't tested it on this set, well it is a 1080 set dammit! :)

Playing with the settings again (when will it ever end?!), I noticed that the PC input has a video\text setting on my set, if mine is set to text the colours are indeed really washed out. I don't know if others have a similar setting on their sets if they're having trouble with weak colours?

Playing with the settings again (when will it ever end?!), I noticed that the PC input has a video\text setting on my set, if mine is set to text the colours are indeed really washed out. I don't know if others have a similar setting on their sets if they're having trouble with weak colours?

I don't have a setting on my Sammy, but I wonder if there is one somewhere in the hidden menus......

Anyone with opinions and a Hitachi plasma, with the 1024x1024 panel ?

I have found that on hd-dvd films component looks crisper and more dramatic on component then vga.

Video gaming is fine on component, but a bit darker then VGA.

I found the best VGA res for gaming is 1024x768 & widescreen. It also puts the xbox cpus under less strain so has no slow down on the most complex games. However it is a bit too washed out for hd-dvd.

Its a pity as now I am not using the vga input and its causing all sorts of problems with getting my 50 devices wired up :(

I think there should be no noticeable difference in video quality between decent quality component and VGA cables if calibration is done correctly in both instances.

YPbPr analogue signals in component cables are derived originally from RGB analogue signals (which travels in VGA cables), and although conversion does not results in loss of resolution, there may be a final difference as a result of processing in terms of colour aspects.

I will be able to investigate this further after my photometer arrives and will post my results.

In the mean time, I'll be echoing some of the other recommendations here, stick to what looks best. :clap: and if youre unhappy about the quality, start with some DVE calibration.

I think its more case of people using 3rd party vga cables. I got an official one yesterday and wasnt initially blown away. But after playing for an hour using vga, then goign stragith back to component vga is so much sharper

has anyone actually got both the official xbox360 vga cable and also a non-official ? and can they see a difference ?

I have an unofficial one which seems quite well made, but I just want to check that another £15 on an official one will be worth it !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom